Soccer Rules Question for the Experts

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I thought that I saw a Ghana defender (not the goalie) punch a crossing pass away with his fist...... can they do that in their own goal box??I could be wrong since I was watching the game on my Droid, but I was expecting it to be a penalty kick...no?

J

Johnly

My daughter plays soccer and when a ref makes a bad call, everybody pays....

VirtualGeek

Reaction score
I thought that I saw a Ghana defender (not the goalie) punch a crossing pass away with his fist...... can they do that in their own goal box??I could be wrong since I was watching the game on my Droid, but I was expecting it to be a penalty kick...no?

Nope, nobody is allowed to use their hands anywhere on the pitch, except for the goalies. I watched the game and didn't see this, but, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

The refs so far have been pretty good with their calls this world cup. I think the biggest mistaken call was the offside called against USA which disallowed their 3rd goal against slovenia.

Sent from my mind using an Integrated Virtual-WAN Neurochip.

calbrs04

Reaction score

Nope, nobody is allowed to use their hands anywhere on the pitch, except for the goalies. I watched the game and didn't see this, but, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

The refs so far have been pretty good with their calls this world cup. I think the biggest mistaken call was the offside called against USA which disallowed their 3rd goal against slovenia.

Sent from my mind using an Integrated Virtual-WAN Neurochip.

And the goalie is only allowed to use it in his 12 yd box. It almost looked like Howard tried to punch the ball in at the end when he was attacking.
US got jobbed a few times. But this time it wasn't the refs fault.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
just google "Maradona hand of god"

Langjan

Reaction score
The exit of Ghana from the 2010 world cup is a case in point. What happened was that the Ghana team would definitely have scored in the dying moments of the game. The Uruguay defender prevented the ball from entering the goal area by using his hands. In my opinion the referee should have the discretion to award a goal if, in his opinion, a goal would definitely have been scored if the illegal action had not been taken.

mach330

Reaction score
Agree Ghana got screwed. How can this rule of giving a pk if you used your hands to block a goal. It's like making a basketball player shoot free throws after a goal tend.

Langjan

Reaction score
I don't know much about soccer, but in rugby there is discretion to the ref to give a penalty try under the posts if, in his opinion, the indiscretion thwarted a certain try. Why make a side compete in a penalty shot at goal after the opposition illegally prevented them from definitely scoring? Seems like Fifa is not only years behind the times with technology and third refs., they also need to have a good look at some other rules like the one affecting the subject under discussion.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your signature made me lol :)

Edit: meant to quote virtualgeek

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk