soak tests going out

doogald

Reaction score
I did read it and it said people were still getting it s-l-o-w-l-y. My question is why? They never said. Did anyone in here get it? Like it?

You read this thread: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/944892be33

and you're still wondering why it's not being pushed yet?

I'm sure that Moto needs to change the update, have it approved by Verizon, but things like that happening during a big holiday week in the US will end up taking a little longer than usual.

donzz

Reaction score
I read that the update has been canceled for now. So, no one is getting it. I guess we wait until they figure it out. No way will I side load that.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
There really is nothing different in it from jb except couple visual icons and inability to use foxfi after update. I'd go back to Jb if I could.

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
From the Motorola forums:

On December 19, Verizon announced that the DROID MAXX, ULTRA, and Mini were all ready to receive their updates to Android 4.4 “Kit Kat.” Initially, a group of our readers claimed to have received the update on that very same day, however, it appears as if Motorola and Verizon have pulled the update due to some pretty serious issues. No official word on a stoppage has been handed out at this time, but from reading both comment threads on our update post and in various forums, it’s pretty obvious that the update hasn’t arrived on phones in days.

A handful of readers reached out to us over the last week to claim that the update completely bricked their phones, but also pointed to Motorola’s forums where quite a few others experienced similar disasters. Motorola doesn’t seem to have fully acknowledged the issue as being widespread, yet is working with members of their Feedback Network to hopefully get the situation sorted out. And even though Verizon said the update was ready, they also mentioned that it was rolling out in phases starting December 19, which could have meant that the first phase was to soak testers. Clearly, Motorola realized there was an issue here and decided to put things on hold until they can push out an update that won’t cause hell for owners of these phones.

This, folks, is why we do slow rollouts of major software updates and why soak tests exist.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The update.zip and full 4.4 fxz files have been posted elsewhere so you can have your kit kat and eat it too, so to speak.

Downloading now...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have to back up all my data first in case the phone dies... Lol. No removable SD card here, so it'll take a bit of time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Blade_Runner

Reaction score
I've successfully updated my dev edition Maxx and consumer edition Maxx using the update.zip. I also flashed the fxz files on the consumer edition just see if they worked and all works well. Through my own boneheadedness I failed to keep root on the consumer edition so I am still waiting for a direct root method for 4.4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, and I too can confirm that the method described on XDA worked for me. It's a bit scary when you see it fail the first time, but you have to go back into recovery and flash it a second time. The reason is that apparently the recovery for JellyBean isn't compatible with KitKat, so flashing the first time wipes the Jelly Bean recovery program off the phone and replaces it with KitKat's recovery. You'll notice the difference because the stock Jelly Bean recovery is in very small font (screen resolution stock font size), and the KitKat recovery is in a much larger font.

I just completed the upgrade, it finished optimizing the 266 apps on the phone, and I'm looking at the home screen now.

Here's a shot of the About Phone screen showing 4.4. Below is the full home screen!

:icon_ banana:

ybe8yqe3.jpg

ha9eva6y.jpg

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Now tap the build date section several times to open up the developer options menu

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

matt_man

Reaction score
I just got the KitKatupdate so if you haven't received it yet, you should soon!

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I just checked about twenty minutes ago and it started downloading. Just finished and restarted without any hitches.

OP
J

jmanches

Reaction score
I think this is the only difference I've noticed

ForumRunner_20140114_024227.png