Soak test

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Software Update for the DROID 3 by Motorola

Introduction
We are pleased to announce the new software update for DROID 3 by Motorola. The software update (5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US) includes numerous enhancements. Please install for peak performance.

For more information on Motorola updates and product support, visit us at Motorola DROID 3 - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA.

Who Can Use This Release ALL Motorola DROID 3 users. After downloading and installing the software release, you will notice the following enhancements:

Video Calling:
+ Google Video Talk now comes preloaded
Call Features:
+ Improved audio clarity for incoming calls and navigation
+ No longer receive urgent notifications from Visual Voice Mail
Email and Messaging:
+ EAS policies can now limit personal email
+ After setting up “Other” email accounts, user is now taken back to “Adding Accounts” page
+ Yahoo! ® emails show correct time-date stamp
Applications and Widgets:
+ Geo-tagging feature works properly
+ Successfully subscribe to News App bundles
+ Successfully launch GoToMeeting®
+ When selecting to return “Home” in V CAST Video on Demand, the correct video will play
+ Streaming video is now available within the NFL Mobile app
+ Improvements in the stability and connection of the Data widget
+ Improvements in the stability of VZ Navigator®
+ City ID now displays country name when receiving international calls
+ SWYPE® keyboard cursor no longer skips to auto signature
+ Backup Assistant no longer displays “Network Unavailable” error message
Additional Device Features:
+ Improved camera shutter speed and addition of multi-shot capability
+ Correct charging indication displayed while on the Wireless Charging Pad
+ Improved stability reduces camera, browser, and device lockups/ force close
+ Access My Verizon without any force close errors
+ Display screen no longer flickers
+ Airplane Mode works properly while toggling rapidly
+ GPS updates now install properly
+ Improved battery life
+ The Startup animation sound will no longer play when the device is in “Silent Mode”
+ Guided Tours now available for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®
+ When display is locked and rotating camcorder is in use, the display is no longer distorted
+ Improvements in the functionality and stability of the SWYPE® messaging feature
+ Device no longer overheats after prolonged use of camera and camcorder
+ Device no longer force closes while in Landscape Mode and the Apps Tray button is selected

Step-by-Step Instructions
For instructions on how to perform the download, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/droid3

Additional Information There is no charge for this update other than the usual data connection charges. Subject to change without notice.
If you have difficulty with this update, visit us at Motorola DROID 3 - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA or Support Homepage - Motorola USA, or to get help from other owners on our online community at https.//supportforums.motorola.com.

Certain features, services and applications are network dependent and may not be available in all areas; additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply. Specific functionality and features with each software version of Android may vary. Contact your service provider for details.
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office. The Bluetooth trademarks are owned by their proprietor and used by Motorola, Inc. under license. All other trademark and product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Motorola, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2011 Motorola. DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license.

They messed swype up. Only displays help info in spanish now and the Sym down at the bottom for symbol is Sim with a weird mark above the I, not sure what its called.... either way, swype needs an update now. Lol...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

ndoren

Reaction score
They messed swype up. Only displays help info in spanish now and the Sym down at the bottom for symbol is Sim with a weird mark above the I, not sure what its called.... either way, swype needs an update now. Lol...

Funny thing is I found that bug the first 20 seconds my phone was booted. I immediately pressed "search" and saw the Spanish symbol key. Funny those writing the update couldn't notice a bug I saw immediately.

The good news is if you are rooted and you are part of the beta swype program, you and overload the newest beta onto the phone and fix the problem. Also, the swype betas are beautiful in color with shaded keys and textures. The swype that comes with the phone looks awful. Neall

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Funny thing is I found that bug the first 20 seconds my phone was booted. I immediately pressed "search" and saw the Spanish symbol key. Funny those writing the update couldn't notice a bug I saw immediately.

The good news is if you are rooted and you are part of the beta swype program, you and overload the newest beta onto the phone and fix the problem. Also, the swype betas are beautiful in color with shaded keys and textures. The swype that comes with the phone looks awful. Neall

I saw that online but I don't have anything to freeze with. Swype.apk wont let me rename, even with su. I can't buy any apps right now unfortunately.. unless you have any sugg's?

Edit: Will psouzas bloatware script stop swype so I can install beta? I am rooted BTW :D Oh.. and Devs probably don't use swype, why its screwed up im sure. lol.

Last edited:

ndoren

Reaction score
You can't rename the file because /system is read-only by default. I love root explorer and it allows you to remount read/write, but I know it costs money. I think there are free apps like "blade buddy" that let you remount r/w, or you can google on how to do it manually from the command line prompt. I dont' think the bloatware removal scripts tamper with swype, as it's essential and not bloatware. Neall

Reaction score
Finally received the OTA, downloading now ").... super stoked

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
You can't rename the file because /system is read-only by default. I love root explorer and it allows you to remount read/write, but I know it costs money. I think there are free apps like "blade buddy" that let you remount r/w, or you can google on how to do it manually from the command line prompt. I dont' think the bloatware removal scripts tamper with swype, as it's essential and not bloatware. Neall

Ro script manager did a perfect job. Free version at that. I must thank you. I hadn't thought of just finding a root app to mount /system. Now just to get that beta .apk. :D

ndoren

Reaction score
Ro script manager did a perfect job. Free version at that. I must thank you. I hadn't thought of just finding a root app to mount /system. Now just to get that beta .apk. :D

Just a fair warning... I had to mess around a LOT to get the beta .apk to stick and work properly. The instructions didn't work for me exactly as stated. You're basically replacing the built-in system app with the beta. That being said, you really should backup the system app (using titanium bu) because if you hose it and can't get the beta to work, you won't have swype at all. I think in the end, the key for me was having to go into the system app utility under settings, and delete the data after the update. I thought that was all frozen/removed but it was lingering from the old version. At any rate, given I feel I'm reasonably skilled in this type of thing, there was a point where the swype beta was force closing, the stock factory version was force closing, and i thought I was screwed for a while. I managed to wrangle my way out of it, and the beta swype is awesome. Neall

Last edited:

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Just a fair warning... I had to mess around a LOT to get the beta .apk to stick and work properly. The instructions didn't work for me exactly as stated. You're basically replacing the built-in system app with the beta. That being said, you really should backup the system app (using titanium bu) because if you hose it and can't get the beta to work, you won't have swype at all. I think in the end, the key for me was having to go into the system app utility under settings, and delete the data after the update. I thought that was all frozen/removed but it was lingering from the old version. At any rate, given I feel I'm reasonably skilled in this type of thing, there was a point where the swype beta was force closing, the stock factory version was force closing, and i thought I was screwed for a while. I managed to wrangle my way out of it, and the beta swype is awesome. Neall

Thanks for the warning. If I run into trouble Ill just wait until I get titanium backup, everyone seems to use it so at least I will be able to buy with confidence.

ndoren

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. If I run into trouble Ill just wait until I get titanium backup, everyone seems to use it so at least I will be able to buy with confidence.

Titanium backup is a life saver. Without it, you're playing with fire. It does so many things well.. freezing apps, updating market links, etc., it's worth every penny. I'd pay 10x what it costs, but don't tell the developer that :)