So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by furbearingmammal, Aug 7, 2010.

1. rjax

rjax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, good to know -- thanks again for the quick and helpful responses, as well as all the time you spent putting this thread together!

2. Pr35t0

Pr35t0 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still have a few issues here concerning wifi hotspot. It seems that everyone confuses tethering with hotspot. I have installed the Wireless tether APK that I see all over the place and Every version turns it into an ad-hok rather then giving my machine INet access. BTW I am rooted and runnin the new UD ROM which seems pretty slick so far. The problem I am having is that I cant get any connection on an ad-hok setup. I know there has to be a way and have tried on varying ROMs with the same results. is there some terminal command I need to be running and if so how do I get there to launch it?

3. Rakunvar

Rakunvar New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Was wondering if anyone would be able to lend me a hand thru maybe Skype, Ventrilo or whatever.. Been outta the loop for awhile and last time I rooted and installed a custom RoM I am clueless how I did... Feel like a moron to be honest lol..Thanks..

4. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +272
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    It's a driver issue because the hardware is quite capable of supporting it. If I interpreted a Cyanogen tweet I read last week correctly, he or someone on the CyanogenMOD team are working on a driver for it. I could be wrong, however, so remember what you paid for that piece of gossip. :)

What are you trying to do that you can't connect with ad-hoc?

5. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +272
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    No need to feel like a moron. If you have access to a PC the best method of rooting has still been proving to be using RSDLite to push SPRecovery onto your phone, and from there flashing a rooted ROM in. There's a link to a page in the OP that shows you how and gives you an abbreviated step-by-step to go with it and links to all the stuff you'll need -- if you feel like trying it solo at the moment. :) I'll be busy most if not all of the day today, but I'll try to stop by and check in when I can.

Oh, and remember, rooting carries risk, etc. etc, and if you choose to try rooting your phone you accept the risk entirely and understand that neither droidforums.net or I carry any liability if something goes wrong.

Gotta love lawyers. Anyway, if I'm free tonight I might be able to help you out some over Skype.

6. neilrl79

neilrl79 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i just wanted to say....thank you for all the time spent putting this thread together. it was because of the very detailed step by step information that i felt comfortable enough to jump into rooting and all it has to offer.

7. Pr35t0

Pr35t0 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am simply trying to get a wifi I can put my machine on. I get no download/1-4 kb down but it appears that the only connection to the internet is on the droid itself rather than the computer. All I am trying to do is make it a hotspot. Maybe I have something setup on the phone wrong but I cant really tell. My PC sees it and connects but no internet.

8. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +272
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Is the app getting SuperUser permissions? Sometimes I have to restart the app and then delete the profile on my wireless system and reconnect to get online that way.

9. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +272
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    I'm glad I could help. :)

10. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +272
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Updated the third and first posts, folks. Sorry for the confusion and my apologies to all.

11. daddygt

daddygt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    updating issues

hey i'm new to the rooting thing.. but i managed to root my droid1 and i m running the cyanogenmod6.0.0 rc2 and now when i go to use the rom manager to update to rc3 it downloads and reboots but it doesnt update at all.. do i need to delete the other update zip thats on my sd first? any help would be appreciated

12. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +272
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Just go here: Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

Get the RC 3, download it onto your computer, and then push it to your SD card, reboot into recovery manually, make a backup, then install the ROM the old fashioned way. Then install the app pack from the bottom of that page because it's been updated in the past couple of days.

Let me know if you need any more help. I'll be around later as I'm heading off to get a few things done. Good luck!

13. daddygt

daddygt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you very much

14. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I previously ran CM6 RC2 and briefly RC3 but didn't improve anything for me..Liquid frozen yogurt turned my phone into the best thing... since the DROID! Only bummer is no 928droid theme yet... I hope he adds one his themes are the best. but as far as ROM goes liquid frozen yogurt is the way to go for noobs like me.

15. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +272
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Updated the first post again, folks, with some information about SPRecovery, which is useful in case you've had issues with ROM Manager and flashing recovery images. This is great news!

Also, drawing on doctordoctor's comment about Liquid Frozen Yogurt, how about everyone post what ROMs they've tried since rooting and what they thought of them -- likes and dislikes -- so we can maybe get an overall image about what's good and what's not-so-good about various ROMs, especially for n00bs? Some of the ROMs have a steep learning curve and others are almost stock-like at first, but when you dig into them will drop your jaw to the floor.

I'm interested in your impressions. I'm sure other people are too. If things go well, I'll try to draw up a super post with all your impressions for easier comparisons by you at a later date or anyone else looking to get this information. Thanks guys and gals and in-betweens!

Search tags for this page
easy root key generator
i've rooted my phone now what
iam rooted now what
ive rooted my note 3 now what
once rooted now what
phone is rooted now what
rooted my lg phone now what

rooted now what

rooted phone now what
what can i do now that my samsung galaxy prevail 2 is rooted