So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by furbearingmammal, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Thanks very much! I'll keep my eyes open and hope I get lucky.
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Greg, the Rescue Squad would like you to post all the details you can over in the thread I started over there. Follow the link and give them some info so they can help you out. :)
  3. furbearingmammal

I added the third post tonight. Just a head's up for people, it doesn't contain too much new for people who are already rooted, but it does have some information you might want to look at.

Peace!
  4. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

Can we get a link to see whta happened to Greg. It sounds like my jouney though I am happily living with my droid. albeit not as fast as it was on FRG10b I am now on frg22 with cyanogen and black glass theme. It has some serious lag like the first frg10b release. and now I can't us emy slingplayer! I can't even find it in the market. any suggestions
  5. furbearingmammal

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad/69221-rsdlite-wont-recognize-phone.html It's still ongoing, but there's been progress. The condensed version is he got back to stock, but he says he's still rooted at the moment. I had missed a trick or two in trying to help him, but teddyearp has a lot more experience with the issue at hand than I did.

I'm guessing you're running a CyanogenMOD nightly build if you're on a CyanogenMOD FRG22 build. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :) If so, is the Black Glass theme ok'd for use in it? You have to be very careful with themes because they're ROM-specific, and very often different versions have to be re-themed in whole or in part. It might explain some of the lag.

I'm totally out of the loop for the anything SlingBox related, but did you have it when you upgraded to 2.2? It might not show up for 2.2 if it's not ready for it yet, and it's also possible that there's an incompatibility with the FRG22 build. It's not showing up for me either, and I'm on CM6 RC-2
  6. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

I am running CM6 RC 2. okay confused again. under settings it shows I am android version 2.2 without a build number. kernel is 2.6.32.9-g103d848
    Mod version cyanogenmod 6.0.0-droid RC2
    build numer: FRF84B CM6 RC-2 w/ 928droid black glass. I am pretty dang sure I am running frg22 seeing 928droid sent me a file for it so I could get his sweet theme. After I got frg22 loaded I went through rommanager withoiut any problems and downloaded cyanogenmod because of your advice. I love it...my only complaint is the lag....like old frg10b update.
    Have a link for easy way to reset it all to start from the very very scratch? That might be a nice additon to your awesom posts of wisdom and pearls.
  7. furbearingmammal

CyanogenMOD 6 RC-2 is built on FRF84B source code. It's just older code, but as you can see it has a LOT more going on than FRG01B. :D

Did you wipe system data and cache in recovery before installing CM and Black Glass? Once you installed CM 6 you overwrote the FRG22 build, which is fine because there's no benefit to having any other build on your system before flashing a ROM.

What you should do is restore the backup you made right before you installed CM, then wipe system and data cache 2-3x each, flash CM 6 back in, install the Google Apps, make a backup, and then install Black Glass. If you notice the lag again after doing all this, roll back to before you installed the theme. If there's still lag, your phone might not like CyanogenMOD 6 RC-2. You might want to try the RC3 when it comes out or the full release when it comes out. I'm hearing some AWESOME things are in the works.

Sneak peek? A recent nightly build included a built-in equalizer for mp3 and streaming music playback. IIRC, that's not due in the stock build until Gingerbread! dancedroid
  8. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

1. Thanks. Well I did wipe the data once. only once. tisk tisk tisk... However my nandroid backup failed!!! So I have no nadroid except for the state I am in now. dang rommanager killed me. Is it possible to run clockworkmod without ROMmanager?

2. when is RC-3 due to be released?

3. So for my understanding it would be futile to try and load frg10b back on with RC2 on. If I understand you it makes no difference? It seemed frg10b worked better for my phone.... bit confused...enlighten me oh wise furbearingManimal
  9. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

I am saving my $ and update for a droid PRO. so I can live until then... should I use a differnt kernel. what do you use?
  10. furbearingmammal

I have my Droid clocked close to the limit with ChevyNO1's excellent 1.1GHz ULV kernel. I had the 1.2 for a while, but it was a HOT!!!! day and my Droid overheated, so I stepped down. If you're going to play with kernels, decide if you want to go for speed or lower voltage first, and once you've found what you can run, try for the other, or if you're happy with what you have once you've found the speed/voltage, stay with it. Are you overclocked at all?

The number one rule with a CyanogenMOD release is you never ask for an ETA. It'll be done when it's done, and not a moment before. Cyanogen is a perfectionist, and many patient users benefit from this. :)

It wouldn't be futile to try to get FRG01B back on. It's the same as any other flash. Get the update.zip, wipe system/cache 2-3x each, and then run the update. When your phone reboots it'll be running FRG01B. You can even add Black Glass back to it at that point.
  11. rjax

rjax New Member

So after reading all this, I decided I wanted a Nandroid backup to have in addition to my Clockwork Recoveries that I've already made. So I twice flashed SPRecovery with ROM Manager, and rebooted into SPRecovery by holding down the x key. I went to make the simple Nandroid backup, and everything was looking good.

But now the progress bar is stuck about 3/4 of the way, and the only text in addition to the Welcome message is:

Attempting Nandroid default backup.
    Dumping system.tar

Do I keep waiting? I know making a backup can take a while, so I'd rather not interrupt it if it's almost done... or do I need to take corrective action?
  12. furbearingmammal

It can take a while, especially if you have a lot of apps. Give it a few more minutes.

If it's still hanging after ten minutes (and that might be overkill for a wait), I'd assume a battery pull would set you right; just start over.

ClockworkMOD Recovery is fine, and clockwork backups are basically the same thing, but I admire your dedication to being safe. :)
  13. rjax

rjax New Member

Thanks, I do have a ton of apps (I'm running with around 37 MB of disk space), which is a big reason why I wanted to make sure I had an option in case I couldn't get into Clockwork Recovery for whatever reason.

I did some Googling and found other people having the same problem -- no one really seems to know what caused it, though it seems like most got it working again one way or another. So, now that it's been a good 20 minutes, I'll do a battery pull and see what happens.
  14. rjax

rjax New Member

And I was able to reboot into Sapphire just fine after a battery pull.

Another reason I was trying SPRecovery was that I wanted to install a theme that was supposed to work with both Clockwork and SPRecovery, but it failed both times I tried to install it from Clockwork. I still had the theme update.zip on my sdcard root directory -- could that have caused a problem? Does SPRecovery export the Nandroid recovery image as an update.zip to the sdcard root directory?
  15. furbearingmammal

Nope. The lingering update.zip was from your failed theme installs. Hopefully SPRecovery will be able to get that on there for you. :)

It puts the backups in a folder entitled Nandroid. You can move them from there to the hard drive on your computer for extra security and to free up space on the SD card.
  16. rjax

rjax New Member

Cool, good to know -- thanks again for the quick and helpful responses, as well as all the time you spent putting this thread together!
  17. Pr35t0

Pr35t0 New Member

I still have a few issues here concerning wifi hotspot. It seems that everyone confuses tethering with hotspot. I have installed the Wireless tether APK that I see all over the place and Every version turns it into an ad-hok rather then giving my machine INet access. BTW I am rooted and runnin the new UD ROM which seems pretty slick so far. The problem I am having is that I cant get any connection on an ad-hok setup. I know there has to be a way and have tried on varying ROMs with the same results. is there some terminal command I need to be running and if so how do I get there to launch it?
  18. Rakunvar

Rakunvar New Member

Was wondering if anyone would be able to lend me a hand thru maybe Skype, Ventrilo or whatever.. Been outta the loop for awhile and last time I rooted and installed a custom RoM I am clueless how I did... Feel like a moron to be honest lol..Thanks..
  19. furbearingmammal

It's a driver issue because the hardware is quite capable of supporting it. If I interpreted a Cyanogen tweet I read last week correctly, he or someone on the CyanogenMOD team are working on a driver for it. I could be wrong, however, so remember what you paid for that piece of gossip. :)

What are you trying to do that you can't connect with ad-hoc?
  20. furbearingmammal

No need to feel like a moron. If you have access to a PC the best method of rooting has still been proving to be using RSDLite to push SPRecovery onto your phone, and from there flashing a rooted ROM in. There's a link to a page in the OP that shows you how and gives you an abbreviated step-by-step to go with it and links to all the stuff you'll need -- if you feel like trying it solo at the moment. :) I'll be busy most if not all of the day today, but I'll try to stop by and check in when I can.

Oh, and remember, rooting carries risk, etc. etc, and if you choose to try rooting your phone you accept the risk entirely and understand that neither droidforums.net or I carry any liability if something goes wrong.

Gotta love lawyers. Anyway, if I'm free tonight I might be able to help you out some over Skype.
Search tags for this page
easy root key generator
i've rooted my phone now what
iam rooted now what
ive rooted my note 3 now what
once rooted now what
phone is rooted now what
rooted my lg phone now what

rooted now what

rooted phone now what
so i've rooted now what
what can i do now that my samsung galaxy prevail 2 is rooted