So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by furbearingmammal, Aug 7, 2010.

1. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    How attached are you to being rooted? If you're not attached at all, just unroot and go back to normal -- no harm, no foul. :) If you really want to go for it, though, it's just a few minutes of work and you'll have a totally-unlocked phone you can do anything you want with (within the capabilities of the phone). If you're ready to give up at this point that's totally understandable, and nobody will hold it against you. If you're willing to take the plunge, though, it'll take less than an hour.

Barring an act of God or severe user error, you won't have any issues whatsoever.

One question -- how did you make a backup if you can't get into ClockworkMOD Recovery or SPRecovery?
  2. Greg

Greg New Member

Quite honestly, I don't remember. I've done so many things and added so many apps to get this going, that my head is spinning. All I remember is in the beginning (i think before I rooted) that I did a volume up + camera and was giving the option of Nandroid and did a backup at that point. Now when I do that I no longer get that option. I can't remember how I even got Clockwork? OMG.. I'm so confused.

No I'm not attached to being rooted since I've experienced nothing from it as this point. LOL. But I really do what to play around with themes and overclocking a bit. Even if I could JUST overclock a bit, I would be happy.

I'm lost right now. I guess I still need to find the drivers you are talking about (is this for RSDlite?) There are so many links around now that I'm having a hard time finding my way around now.

Could you kindly direct me to the drivers/video link?

EDIT: I remember now. In the beginning rebooting into recovery was easy. Now it does nothing. Most everything else give me that error message. I'm not even sure how to see if my original backup is there.

ANOTHER EDIT: Ok, it DOES appear that there is ONE backup from yesterday.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  3. furbearingmammal

Don't worry we will get you set right up. Almost everything you will need to know at this point is encapsulated in the video in the orginal post about how to push SPRecovery to your phone. On that page you will find the drivers that you need. If you need further help trying to get SPRecovery on I will pm you my Skype name so I can try to help you with less lag. :)
  4. Greg

Greg New Member

Where is this video and drivers page? I'm so sorry. I can't find it.

EDIT: I FOUND IT!
  5. furbearingmammal

6. Greg

Greg New Member

Ok. First I wanna make sure you realize that I'm 2.2 rooted?

So I installed SPRecovery and drivers on my pc. I connected my usb and rebooted with the up + power and am at the black bootloader screen. I open RSD Lite and browse to the ESE81.sbf file (I'm 2.2 not 2.1) and double click it.

When I click START, it does nothing! It doesn't connect or show any progress as shown on the video.

Now what do I do? Seems nothing wants to work on my phone.
  7. furbearingmammal

I am aware you're on FroYo. I'm working with the tools we have, which have worked for everyone else.

Were you trying to flash in SPRecovery to be rooted or were you trying to flash in the stock 2.1 ROM to go back to basic? Because if you were trying to do SPRecovery you picked the wrong file.

Okay, troubleshooting time. 1, did you hit "show devices" at any point in time? Second, are you 100% sure you put the right drivers on? 3, are you on Vista? Vista doesn't seem to do well with RSDLite for some people.

Edit: Are you running RSDLite as an Administrator? This is a must on Vista and Windows 7.
  8. Greg

Greg New Member

9. furbearingmammal

10. Greg

Greg New Member

Ok, this is where I have my problem. It's not detecting my device.

Seems I need the squad, but I don't think I want to go that far. With all this trouble I'm causing the both of us, it's like it's telling me not to do it.

I think it might be best if I start with a clean slate.

Can I go back to 2.1 unrooted WITHOUT losing my contacts? Or do I have to lose everything?

Then I could get a fresh update to 2.2, and then try rooting again... and if I quickly run into the same problems, I'll stop, and just be happy with 2.2 unrooted.

WHat do you think?

Can I go back without losing my contacts? Last time I needed my contact list, my gmail contact list was missing many of my contacts.
  11. stonehenge69

stonehenge69 New Member

OK, I took the plunge and rooted. I installed BB v0.4 using Rom manager and I'm running the Black Glass theme. Everything seems to be working fine.

My question is, how do I go about making changes such as icons, keyboard, fonts, color...etc?
    Everything looks bone stock with the exception of the black notification bar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Bare in mind that I'm old, I'm still fascinated with Pong :)
  12. furbearingmammal

If you have sync turned on in settings>accounts and sync, along with both boxes checked, it should restore everything from the cloud.

Really dumb question -- are you plugging the Droid into your computer using the same port that always worked before or a hub or what?
  13. furbearingmammal

If everything looks bone stock then something went wrong with the theme install. Doublecheck you installed the right theme for Bugless Beast before you proceed.

A simple way to check to see if the install went through okay would be to open the settings and see if all the images next to the options have changed. The difference is often subtle, but quite attractive. :)

If, however, everything is bone stock, download the update.zip for the theme again and put it in the root of your SD card, reboot into recovery, restore your backup made prior to the update, then install the files again. If things still don't work then you should ask 928Droid what's up since he may have a fix. :)
  14. stonehenge69

stonehenge69 New Member

I reinstalled Black Glass with same results. Maybe I'm expecting to much.
    There are differences, just nothing dramatic. Maybe I picked the wrong theme.
    I was looking for that "eye candy".
  15. Greg

Greg New Member

Yes, it's plugged into the same USB port I always use, but also tried 2 other usb ports with no luck.

Yes, the bootloader page says it's ready to go. But RSDLite doesn't find my phone.
  16. furbearingmammal

It's possible that the theme for Bugless Beast isn't as, pardon the phrase, pimped out as it is for other ROMs. I wouldn't know since I haven't used BB yet. :)

Droid Themes - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

If you can't find something you like in here, well, I don't know as it can be done. ;)
  17. Greg

Greg New Member

Some people have all the luck! :)
  18. furbearingmammal

Something's not right, then. I'm going to go try to get some help. It might be something simple that I've not run into before, and hopefully it won't be a big deal. :)
  19. PikaCane

PikaCane New Member

And never, ever forget your towel.

[/offtopic]
  20. furbearingmammal

+1 for advice from one cool frood. :)

I have a post in the Rescue Squad sub-forum about this with a linkback here. No nibbles there so far. I'll monitor both and report here what we find there and vice versa.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad/69221-rsdlite-wont-recognize-phone.html
Search tags for this page
after rooting now what?
easy root key generator
i've rooted my phone now what
iam rooted now what
ive rooted my note 3 now what
now that i'm rooted what's next
once rooted now what
once rooted s4 active now what
phone is rooted now what
rooted my lg phone now what

rooted now what