So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by furbearingmammal, Aug 7, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes and no. Flash recovery twice to be sure. I think I'm going to stop recommending ROM Manager. It doesn't seem to play nicely with FroYo.

As to the ROMs, mount your phone to your computer with the USB Mass Storage option and you should be able to find them without much in the way of problems. If you can't do that, delete them from within the app so you don't have them cluttering up your SD card and download the ROMs you want from the Devs directly. CyanogenMOD has to be DL'd directly from Koush's website. I don't know if he wants it public so I'll have to PM you the link if you're interested.
  2. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    It doesn't, but I'm sure it's a script error. Shouldn't be a problem once you've flashed a ROM.
  3. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    again you are the MANimal
  4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Updated the first post slightly with some warnings about ROM Manager and how it doesn't play well with FroYo at the moment. Currently it's the only way to flash an alternate recovery image without a PC and a copy of RSDLite, but it has had some major issues for some users. If you're experiencing no problems with it, great, but if you're having any issues, be warned they could become major. It may be better for you to flash SPRecovery two or three times, boot into recovery to double-check to make sure it's there, and then stop using ROM Manager entirely. Your mileage may vary and your Droid may have no problems with ROM Manager at all.

Please do not panic. :) Remember, 42 is the Answer.
  5. Greg

Greg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I followed your instructions. Thank you! I seem to be rooted ok. When I try to flsh the alternate OR clockworkbod recoveries, I get an error message on both. Its says, "An error occurred attempting to run privleged commands".

Sigh....

Any ideas?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  6. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    ROM Manager doesn't seem to be playing nicely with your phone, but it could be a case of SuperUser errors. Open up the ninja and make sure ROM Manager doesn't have a red mark next to it. If it does, delete it and restart ROM Manager. If it has a green mark (or isn't there) there's an issue. Try installing an earlier version or SuperUser Permissions or the most up-to-date if what you have isn't as current. I'm not up on that as I haven't had an issue, but I'm sure there are instructions somewhere.

In that case, you might be best to ditch ROM Manager entirely and use RSDLite to flash SPRecovery onto your phone. ROM Manager is great when it works, but when it doesn't, well, it can cause fits.
  7. Greg

Greg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My superuser isn't installing properly. Although when I click on it's icon, it tells me that Busybox, Wireless Tether and ROM Manager are ALL GREEN!

I only see one version of SuperUser in the market. I'll see if I can find a different version online.
  8. Greg

Greg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. I can't get superuser to install correctly. I found another download but am having problems with any sort of zip file. wt?

2. I can't find RSDlite anywhere. It's not in the market and any links I DO find, don't work.
  9. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    RSDLite isn't a market app, it's a Motorola program that you have to run on a PC and use the USB cable to push data to the phone.

RSDLite-4.7+patch.zip This appears to be the latest version of the program.

You'll need the proper drivers -- see the either the video link or the SBF to Root and Unroot link to get those.

Once installed, follow the video directions in the first post to flash SPRecovery onto your phone. Once it's loaded make a nandroid backup immediately, then you can install the update.zip of your choice. :)
  10. Greg

Greg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is getting WAY to complicated for me. At this point, I have a bunch of apps and such, that won't work or install and I've accomplished nothing. So.. I finally got the courage to root my phone, but can't do a thing with it. Apparently I need a class to accomplish this, as it seems to work easily for most everyone else. Sigh...
  11. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    How attached are you to being rooted? If you're not attached at all, just unroot and go back to normal -- no harm, no foul. :) If you really want to go for it, though, it's just a few minutes of work and you'll have a totally-unlocked phone you can do anything you want with (within the capabilities of the phone). If you're ready to give up at this point that's totally understandable, and nobody will hold it against you. If you're willing to take the plunge, though, it'll take less than an hour.

Barring an act of God or severe user error, you won't have any issues whatsoever.

One question -- how did you make a backup if you can't get into ClockworkMOD Recovery or SPRecovery?
  12. Greg

Greg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quite honestly, I don't remember. I've done so many things and added so many apps to get this going, that my head is spinning. All I remember is in the beginning (i think before I rooted) that I did a volume up + camera and was giving the option of Nandroid and did a backup at that point. Now when I do that I no longer get that option. I can't remember how I even got Clockwork? OMG.. I'm so confused.

No I'm not attached to being rooted since I've experienced nothing from it as this point. LOL. But I really do what to play around with themes and overclocking a bit. Even if I could JUST overclock a bit, I would be happy.

I'm lost right now. I guess I still need to find the drivers you are talking about (is this for RSDlite?) There are so many links around now that I'm having a hard time finding my way around now.

Could you kindly direct me to the drivers/video link?

EDIT: I remember now. In the beginning rebooting into recovery was easy. Now it does nothing. Most everything else give me that error message. I'm not even sure how to see if my original backup is there.

ANOTHER EDIT: Ok, it DOES appear that there is ONE backup from yesterday.
  13. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Don't worry we will get you set right up. Almost everything you will need to know at this point is encapsulated in the video in the orginal post about how to push SPRecovery to your phone. On that page you will find the drivers that you need. If you need further help trying to get SPRecovery on I will pm you my Skype name so I can try to help you with less lag. :)
  14. Greg

Greg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where is this video and drivers page? I'm so sorry. I can't find it.

EDIT: I FOUND IT!
  15. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
Search tags for this page
easy root key generator
i've rooted my phone now what
iam rooted now what
ive rooted my note 3 now what