So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by furbearingmammal, Aug 7, 2010.

1. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I got it on but the wrong version so I had to nandroid restore and download the very stock one... Bummer because I loved it while it worked! How do you install ROM's then if you don't use the rom manager? Do you just download it like I did the 928 files and put them on my sd card as update.zip files etc???

1 last question sometimes I would reboot but it would not put me into SPrecovery or clock... just the standard one??? any thoughts? Serioulsy your help is really realy appreciated. you will be blessed for it

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    If I were you I'd ditch ROM Manager after I flashed SPRecovery one more time. It seems to be giving you issues. :)

If you're using SPRecovery then yes, it's the same method as installing any update.zip-formatted theme/ROM/kernel/update.

Once you have the ROM you want, then you can put the theme back on. It's effing awesome, isn't it? :D I'm looking forward to the final release of CM 6 so I can put it back on.

3. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the tips!!! I will try that next then... so if I understand I should flash to SPRecovery then uninstall rom manager. I have been downloading a bunch of ROms from the premium site. I am assuming they are on my sd card. Can you PM me with a sure contact info in case I got hosed somewhere... yes I have the gitters like watching the patient bleed out in front of you when you are trying to stop it!

4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    If you've pulled down the premium ROMs I'd keep ROM Manager around since it'd be a bit of work to get them all back. However, I'd put SPRecovery as your recovery image and install ROMs via the update.zip method.

And make a nandroid backup asap with SPRecovery just to be safe. :D

5. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    so to make SPRECOVERY my recovery image I do that by clicking on it right in rom Manager? Do you know where the ROMs I downloaded are stored? I think Rom manager is screwing up my phone so I would like to rid myself of it. I know lame questions...

6. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    dumb question do I have to have bluetooth opn to be rooted? why does it turn on each time I go back to being rooted?

7. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Yes and no. Flash recovery twice to be sure. I think I'm going to stop recommending ROM Manager. It doesn't seem to play nicely with FroYo.

As to the ROMs, mount your phone to your computer with the USB Mass Storage option and you should be able to find them without much in the way of problems. If you can't do that, delete them from within the app so you don't have them cluttering up your SD card and download the ROMs you want from the Devs directly. CyanogenMOD has to be DL'd directly from Koush's website. I don't know if he wants it public so I'll have to PM you the link if you're interested.

8. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    It doesn't, but I'm sure it's a script error. Shouldn't be a problem once you've flashed a ROM.

9. doctordoctor

doctordoctor Member

Ratings:
    +2
    again you are the MANimal

10. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Updated the first post slightly with some warnings about ROM Manager and how it doesn't play well with FroYo at the moment. Currently it's the only way to flash an alternate recovery image without a PC and a copy of RSDLite, but it has had some major issues for some users. If you're experiencing no problems with it, great, but if you're having any issues, be warned they could become major. It may be better for you to flash SPRecovery two or three times, boot into recovery to double-check to make sure it's there, and then stop using ROM Manager entirely. Your mileage may vary and your Droid may have no problems with ROM Manager at all.

Please do not panic. :) Remember, 42 is the Answer.

11. Greg

Greg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I followed your instructions. Thank you! I seem to be rooted ok. When I try to flsh the alternate OR clockworkbod recoveries, I get an error message on both. Its says, "An error occurred attempting to run privleged commands".

Sigh....

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  12. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    ROM Manager doesn't seem to be playing nicely with your phone, but it could be a case of SuperUser errors. Open up the ninja and make sure ROM Manager doesn't have a red mark next to it. If it does, delete it and restart ROM Manager. If it has a green mark (or isn't there) there's an issue. Try installing an earlier version or SuperUser Permissions or the most up-to-date if what you have isn't as current. I'm not up on that as I haven't had an issue, but I'm sure there are instructions somewhere.

In that case, you might be best to ditch ROM Manager entirely and use RSDLite to flash SPRecovery onto your phone. ROM Manager is great when it works, but when it doesn't, well, it can cause fits.

Search tags for this page
easy root key generator
i've rooted my phone now what
iam rooted now what
ive rooted my note 3 now what
once rooted now what
phone is rooted now what
rooted my lg phone now what

rooted now what

rooted phone now what
what can i do now that my samsung galaxy prevail 2 is rooted