So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by furbearingmammal, Aug 7, 2010.

1. thehirsches

thehirsches New Member

My question is a bit simpler. I installed RomManager/Clockwork and ran a backup. I just want to be 100% sure it is a Nandroid since I did not see any option for that.

Once I am sure, I am going to give the P3 low voltage 250 mhz 1000 kernel a try. I don't want anything extreme, just a bit quicker on FRG01B.
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Okay, I'd recommend doublechecking Easy Root to make sure I was still rooted and something hadn't happened. Next up I'd go back to ROM Manager go down to the bottom and select where it says to flash the alternate recovery image, go back to top and flash ClockworkMOD Recovery again. Now do that one more time and you should have ClockworkMOD Recovery working.

Once you have ClockworkMOD Recovery working again, you should be able to install Bugless Beast as per the normal instructions, and everything (including BusyBox) should install fine.
  3. furbearingmammal

Press the button at the very top and if it tells you it won't install, try the SPRecovery link at the bottom. If that works, you could try to flash ClockworkMOD Recovery over it or leave well enough alone. I personally prefer SPRecovery, but that's the one I've used since I rooted my phone anyway. :)

If you leave SPRecovery on, just follow my instructions in the Theme post to flash Black Glass in. Then you can ditch ROM Manager if you want. I've heard it has had some major issues for some users, so it's up to you. Just remember to boot into recovery occasionally and make a nandroid backup.
  4. furbearingmammal

It's the same. I think they call it a Clockwork Backup or something, but it's the same deal. It's not interchangeable with a Nandroid Backup from SPRecovery, but it'll do the same thing within ClockworkMOD Recovery. I say Nandroid because that's what I'm used to seeing and for the most part the word is interchangeable with Nandroid Backup and a Clockwork Recovery. :)

That's a good choice for a kernel. A LOT of phones run really well on it. Just keep an eye on your battery life and if you don't like it, try one of Chevy's ULV kernels instead. Experimentation is part of the fun. :)

Sorry for the delay, guys. I got some work today, so I was working.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

I got it on but the wrong version so I had to nandroid restore and download the very stock one... Bummer because I loved it while it worked! How do you install ROM's then if you don't use the rom manager? Do you just download it like I did the 928 files and put them on my sd card as update.zip files etc???

1 last question sometimes I would reboot but it would not put me into SPrecovery or clock... just the standard one??? any thoughts? Serioulsy your help is really realy appreciated. you will be blessed for it
  6. furbearingmammal

If I were you I'd ditch ROM Manager after I flashed SPRecovery one more time. It seems to be giving you issues. :)

If you're using SPRecovery then yes, it's the same method as installing any update.zip-formatted theme/ROM/kernel/update.

Once you have the ROM you want, then you can put the theme back on. It's effing awesome, isn't it? :D I'm looking forward to the final release of CM 6 so I can put it back on.
  7. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

thanks for the tips!!! I will try that next then... so if I understand I should flash to SPRecovery then uninstall rom manager. I have been downloading a bunch of ROms from the premium site. I am assuming they are on my sd card. Can you PM me with a sure contact info in case I got hosed somewhere... yes I have the gitters like watching the patient bleed out in front of you when you are trying to stop it!
  8. furbearingmammal

If you've pulled down the premium ROMs I'd keep ROM Manager around since it'd be a bit of work to get them all back. However, I'd put SPRecovery as your recovery image and install ROMs via the update.zip method.

And make a nandroid backup asap with SPRecovery just to be safe. :D
  9. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

so to make SPRECOVERY my recovery image I do that by clicking on it right in rom Manager? Do you know where the ROMs I downloaded are stored? I think Rom manager is screwing up my phone so I would like to rid myself of it. I know lame questions...
  10. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

dumb question do I have to have bluetooth opn to be rooted? why does it turn on each time I go back to being rooted?
  11. furbearingmammal

Yes and no. Flash recovery twice to be sure. I think I'm going to stop recommending ROM Manager. It doesn't seem to play nicely with FroYo.

As to the ROMs, mount your phone to your computer with the USB Mass Storage option and you should be able to find them without much in the way of problems. If you can't do that, delete them from within the app so you don't have them cluttering up your SD card and download the ROMs you want from the Devs directly. CyanogenMOD has to be DL'd directly from Koush's website. I don't know if he wants it public so I'll have to PM you the link if you're interested.
  12. furbearingmammal

It doesn't, but I'm sure it's a script error. Shouldn't be a problem once you've flashed a ROM.
  13. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

again you are the MANimal
  14. furbearingmammal

Updated the first post slightly with some warnings about ROM Manager and how it doesn't play well with FroYo at the moment. Currently it's the only way to flash an alternate recovery image without a PC and a copy of RSDLite, but it has had some major issues for some users. If you're experiencing no problems with it, great, but if you're having any issues, be warned they could become major. It may be better for you to flash SPRecovery two or three times, boot into recovery to double-check to make sure it's there, and then stop using ROM Manager entirely. Your mileage may vary and your Droid may have no problems with ROM Manager at all.

Please do not panic. :) Remember, 42 is the Answer.
  15. Greg

Greg New Member

I followed your instructions. Thank you! I seem to be rooted ok. When I try to flsh the alternate OR clockworkbod recoveries, I get an error message on both. Its says, "An error occurred attempting to run privleged commands".

Sigh....

Any ideas?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  16. furbearingmammal

ROM Manager doesn't seem to be playing nicely with your phone, but it could be a case of SuperUser errors. Open up the ninja and make sure ROM Manager doesn't have a red mark next to it. If it does, delete it and restart ROM Manager. If it has a green mark (or isn't there) there's an issue. Try installing an earlier version or SuperUser Permissions or the most up-to-date if what you have isn't as current. I'm not up on that as I haven't had an issue, but I'm sure there are instructions somewhere.

In that case, you might be best to ditch ROM Manager entirely and use RSDLite to flash SPRecovery onto your phone. ROM Manager is great when it works, but when it doesn't, well, it can cause fits.
  17. Greg

Greg New Member

My superuser isn't installing properly. Although when I click on it's icon, it tells me that Busybox, Wireless Tether and ROM Manager are ALL GREEN!

I only see one version of SuperUser in the market. I'll see if I can find a different version online.
  18. Greg

Greg New Member

1. I can't get superuser to install correctly. I found another download but am having problems with any sort of zip file. wt?

2. I can't find RSDlite anywhere. It's not in the market and any links I DO find, don't work.
  19. furbearingmammal

RSDLite isn't a market app, it's a Motorola program that you have to run on a PC and use the USB cable to push data to the phone.

RSDLite-4.7+patch.zip This appears to be the latest version of the program.

You'll need the proper drivers -- see the either the video link or the SBF to Root and Unroot link to get those.

Once installed, follow the video directions in the first post to flash SPRecovery onto your phone. Once it's loaded make a nandroid backup immediately, then you can install the update.zip of your choice. :)
  20. Greg

Greg New Member

I think this is getting WAY to complicated for me. At this point, I have a bunch of apps and such, that won't work or install and I've accomplished nothing. So.. I finally got the courage to root my phone, but can't do a thing with it. Apparently I need a class to accomplish this, as it seems to work easily for most everyone else. Sigh...
Search tags for this page
after rooting now what?
easy root key generator
i've rooted my phone now what
iam rooted now what
ive rooted my note 3 now what
now that i'm rooted what's next
once rooted now what
once rooted s4 active now what
phone is rooted now what
rooted my lg phone now what

rooted now what