So you want to edit xml's or more... an ADB. APK Manager How-To (Basics)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hey guys sorry for interrupting. I just came across a little problem and I'm not sure how to solve it or if I'm even doing it right. I'm using apk manager to try and edit /res/values/colors.xml. When I first put the apk(framework-res) in the modd folder, I decompile and compile fine without errors but after I edit colors.xml, save it and try to recompile I get an error. I must not be editing the .xml correctly. I'm trying to change system wide font color.

what lines and what hex code you putting in?.... post the log and we can see what is the error

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
when editing colors.xml.. Mbk is defiantely your man.. do what he says and it will work :)

yeah post 7 Mbk.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
when editing colors.xml.. Mbk is defiantely your man.. do what he says and it will work :)

yeah post 7 Mbk.

Thanks X... downloaded that version of apktool and plan to use it from now on... better safe than sorry. :)

I think I do remember you or someone else mentioning that link, but never paid it mind since I really didn't have any problems that I could tell...

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Should work perfectly fine.. does for me.... but.. you fixed what wasnt broken..lol... my life dictates bad news. Hopefully yours doesnt. You live in Hawaii though so I am sure you are OK. :)

Castro

Reaction score
I'm editing the bright_foreground_dark line, stock code is ffffffff I changed the code to 0000ffff which I thought was red but it turned out black. I actually got it to work without an error. I realized that when I saved colors.xml it created a colors.xml.bak file in the same folder. I deleted that before recompiling and it worked great.

Last edited:
OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I love this thread! I made it and even I am learning stuff! This truly is becoming a one stop shop (so to speak) for figuring out themeing.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm editing the bright_foreground_dark line, stock code is ffffffff I changed the code to 0000ffff which I thought was red but it turned out black. I actually got it to work without an error. I realized that when I saved colors.xml it created a colors.xml.bak file in the same folder. I deleted that before recompiling and it worked great.

good to hear :).... is that all you wanted to edit?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I love this thread! I made it and even I am learning stuff! This truly is becoming a one stop shop (so to speak) for figuring out themeing.

I gotta admit that this has turned out to be one of the best threads Bro... glad you started it...;) and it just keeps growing and growing...:)

Castro

Reaction score

Well aaactually lol...I'm also dying to find how I can change just the text color of the system wide buttons. I'm running this theme and the white text on the buttons is hard to see. All the buttons are the same.

CAP2011012314224.jpg

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Well aaactually lol...I'm also dying to find how I can change just the text color of the system wide buttons. I'm running this theme and the white text on the buttons is hard to see. All the buttons are the same.

CAP2011012314224.jpg
Those button PNGs use to be black?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Not that I know, I mean I didn't change them.
Well then you might of editted the color that called for black text on light backgrounds to a white color code???
so all the PNGs and XMLs are from the same ROM? and the only line you editted is bright_foreground_dark

Castro

Reaction score

Well then you might of editted the color that called for black text on light backgrounds to a white color code???
so all the PNGs and XMLs are from the same ROM? and the only line you editted is bright_foreground_dark

Yea, all the pngs and xmls are from the same ROM. I took that screenshot before I edited the bright_foreground_dark xml. The only other .xml I've edited was the progress_horizontal.xml. I don't know if there is code in there to alter text?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Yea, all the pngs and xmls are from the same ROM. I took that screenshot before I edited the bright_foreground_dark xml. The only other .xml I've edited was the progress_horizontal.xml. I don't know if there is code in there to alter text?
Which ROM, there has to be an XML calling for white text on what it thinks are dark buttons... just don't know which XML it'd be, but if I know which ROM I can at least look...

Castro

Reaction score

Which ROM, there has to be an XML calling for white text on what it thinks are dark buttons... just don't know which XML it'd be, but if I know which ROM I can at least look...

I have a D2G running fission ROM. I ported thebowers BnB theme to it.