So you want to edit xml's or more... an ADB. APK Manager How-To (Basics)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'll jump in here, too. I don't ever sign system apps either. I've never had a problem, but I probably just jinxed myself.
I don't either... but I usually always place them back into an update.zip to intall...but try to install that unsigned system APK by trying to launch the APK itself, it won't install... so I'm thinking that is why thebowers stated to sign all APKs anyways, that's my guess

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey BTW... pushing back with either ADB or Terminal Emulater will install an unsigned system APK...
EDIT: although there have been times when something went wrong when pushing back like that...lol

Last edited:

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you want to push a .apk back to your phone just use Awesome Drop. No cords needed and no commands to run. You can install the app right from it and it will override an existing one without having to uninstall.

As far as signing, I do it just so that it is one less thing that could throw it off. I also like to make the apps the way they where before. So others can use them without being rooted.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So if awesome drop can push the apk back to the phone, why even bother with ADB? Also, I completely understand signing with option 4... perhaps I will add that scenario into the OP. Just need to make sure I do it in such a way it doesnt confuse people.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah I feel the same about ADB..lol... never tried Awesome Drop, sounds like a good app, but Terminal does the push without having to uninstall any APKs either....so that makes three possible ways to push APKs back;)

Devildog8791

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
APK Tool

I was examining the apktool that I linked to in the OP and it is version 1.3.2. It was supposed to be version 1.3.1. I downloaded 1.3.1 and dropped it into the "other" folder today. I was having some issues, but I thought maybe my computer needed to be rebooted. I will see how APK Manager performs now that I know I have 1.3.1.

microsnook

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I might need to study this and give it a go sometime!

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I was examining the apktool that I linked to in the OP and it is version 1.3.2. It was supposed to be version 1.3.1. I downloaded 1.3.1 and dropped it into the "other" folder today. I was having some issues, but I thought maybe my computer needed to be rebooted. I will see how APK Manager performs now that I know I have 1.3.1.

Any update on how this worked out for you? Also, how can I tell what version of apk tool I have?

Thanks

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK, I am going to end this confusion.... Here is the apktool.jar file ... it is 1.3.2 but it has been modified to read the code correctly. I have tested it and it works.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK, I am going to end this confusion.... Here is the apktool.jar file ... it is 1.3.2 but it has been modified to read the code correctly. I have tested it and it works.
how and who has modified it to read code corectly?... and what was 1.3.2 reading wrong initially before the said mod? just curious since I've not run into issues whatsoever that I can tell?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com

Thanks x! The link appears to be down though ...

EDIT: NEVER MIND - Google Chrome did not like it ... it worked in IE

Last edited:

Castro

Reaction score
hey guys sorry for interrupting. I just came across a little problem and I'm not sure how to solve it or if I'm even doing it right. I'm using apk manager to try and edit /res/values/colors.xml. When I first put the apk(framework-res) in the modd folder, I decompile and compile fine without errors but after I edit colors.xml, save it and try to recompile I get an error. I must not be editing the .xml correctly. I'm trying to change system wide font color.