So you want to edit xml's or more... an ADB. APK Manager How-To (Basics)

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Always sign a .apk if it has been decompiled. Doesn't matter if it system app or not.

You have one hell of an outstanding rep in theming so I don't want this to sound like I'm questioning you, but what are the potential results of NOT signing system.apk's?... I know about data/apps but am curious about system's....

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thebowers.. i gotta know too. I never ever sign an apk. They all work just fine, Market, frame, gmail, gtalk, whatever... Unless you are referring to signing it with option 4 to make it installable for non root users.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Hmm, interesting... some sign while some do not. I've always signed them (option 12) just because when someone showed me apk manager that's how they told me to do it. :D

Now I am curious though, what exactly is happening when you sign it? Because it obviously works either way ...

If only there were an IRC channel we could all discuss this on :biggrin: j/k

Last edited:

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I only sign /data apps like Pandora and the blacked out miui browser I did and others like that. I have never signed /system apps....

Sent just before I "Blacked Out"

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My understanding is that system apps don't need to be signed since they are from Google, thus don't need the certification or is embedded in, while other APKs need that valid certificate to ensure that the APK can be installed by the system. Google does it to track where and who the aPKs are from.... sound about right?

meishkov

Reaction score
Great guide. Nice job xkape. I've been trying to learn how to do some minor themeing and such, just trying to go from beginner to intermediate in the android universe you know what I'm saying. Definitely not something you can really halfass trying to learn it, you'll get nowhere it seems. For sure its going to take time to get familiarized with, but so did rooting and all that in the beginning, though this is a little more advanced, still gotta jump in with the same mindset you know. Anyways, thanks again for this excellent right up!! Been looking for somethin like this for a few days, just didn't really explore all the threads and such.dancedroid

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My understanding is that system apps don't need to be signed since they are from Google, thus don't need the certification or is embedded in, while other APKs need that valid certificate to ensure that the APK can be installed by the system. Google does it to track where and who the aPKs are from.... sound about right?

I will agree with this statement :)

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Great guide. Nice job xkape. I've been trying to learn how to do some minor themeing and such, just trying to go from beginner to intermediate in the android universe you know what I'm saying. Definitely not something you can really halfass trying to learn it, you'll get nowhere it seems. For sure its going to take time to get familiarized with, but so did rooting and all that in the beginning, though this is a little more advanced, still gotta jump in with the same mindset you know. Anyways, thanks again for this excellent right up!! Been looking for somethin like this for a few days, just didn't really explore all the threads and such.dancedroid

no problem man.. just glad to help.. the more people can learn, the more variation that comes... and that benefits everyone. thank Devildog too thoguh.. he contributed a lot to the OP.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So those who don't sign system app, do you not sign framework-res.apk? Last time I didn't sign it the phone rebooted over and over cause it couldn't find it.

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I never sign anything that goes into /system.... Just decompile, edit, compile, zipalign, and install....

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
no sir, i do not sign the frame.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think what thebowers was trying to say regarding signing all APKs, including system ones, was if you want to be able to install them just by launching the APK (even system APKs cannot install by launching the APK if they are not signed).... however even unsigned APKs can install if in an update.zip.... I don't know if that's the case with non-system unsigned APKs in an update.zip...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Also, I'd like to add something more constructive to this thread rather than just constructive whining :p lol...

You can easily pull and push APKs from your phone without the need of ADB...and that'd be with Terminal Emulator... just make a folder on your sdcard called APKs then...

just type the following to pull any apk...

su
sys -rw
cp /system/app/****.apk /sdcard/APKs

then connect your phone to PC and copy over the APK ... then after modding the APK and copying back to sdcard, just type the following to push back...

su
sys -rw
cp /sdcard/APKs/****.apk /system/app

another option besides the mere copy&paste (which can't be done by most with Astro) or ADB

Last edited:

Devildog8791

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'll jump in here, too. I don't ever sign system apps either. I've never had a problem, but I probably just jinxed myself.