So you want to edit xml's or more... an ADB. APK Manager How-To (Basics)

Devildog8791

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The Fog Is Lifting

NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS
Unless you are going to be pushing apks to your phone or pulling them directly from the phone, you do NOT need to bother with steps 3-6 and 9-11. You also only need to add the Java stuff to your Environment Variables.

I think you just cleared things up a little. We're getting there.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Don't worry DevilDog.. when you are here long enough, you will come to realize (and probably be one of us..lol) that me, Mbk, ecsnead, jatx2wne, thebowers, B-Boy and a couple others.... we generally just BS back and forth. No one takes anything seriously as OMG he's mean.... we all know pretty much everything we say is either contructive criticism, compliments or just plain old making fun of each other.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Don't worry DevilDog.. when you are here long enough, you will come to realize (and probably be one of us..lol) that me, Mbk, ecsnead, jatx2wne, thebowers, B-Boy and a couple others.... we generally just BS back and forth. No one takes anything seriously as OMG he's mean.... we all know pretty much everything we say is either contructive criticism, compliments or just plain old making fun of each other.

What?!... you making fun of me!?!?...:icon_evil::icon_eek:...lol J/K
I think that line is a perfect addition brah... and now I won't whine anymore...:D cheers...:)

Devildog8791

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

What?!... you making fun of me!?!?...:icon_evil::icon_eek:...lol J/K
I think that line is a perfect addition brah... and now I won't whine anymore...:D cheers...:)

You got whine? I got some cheese!! JK

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Awesome guide! dancedroid

DroidForums Junkie!!

decalex

Reaction score
Thx OPer for posting. the most recent APKManager version is the only one I've used- happy that the bugs weren't just me, and looking fwd to older ver.

Question: after a single xml edit, say the strings.xml (for examp), during recompiling, when it asks you to delete the resources file, that should be the only file to delete in the "keep" folder, right? (since you can't really navigate to the strings.xml in compiled state)?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thx OPer for posting. the most recent APKManager version is the only one I've used- happy that the bugs weren't just me, and looking fwd to older ver.

Question: after a single xml edit, say the strings.xml (for examp), during recompiling, when it asks you to delete the resources file, that should be the only file to delete in the "keep" folder, right? (since you can't really navigate to the strings.xml in compiled state)?

Yes just the resources.arsc in those cases where you only editted an xml in the values folder...
What bugs have you experienced with APKMgr 4.9?? and you can always an older version of APKTool in that 4.9.... using 4.8 leaves you unable to control whather or not you want the -v in the drawable folder names..

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The apk manager in the op is 4.9 with the older apktool

I went back to 4.8 but I couldn't handle not being able to work on multiple apks at the same time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
my only issue is the progress bar...i've themed it when froyo first came out on stock roms...cant seem to figure out how to theme it on any current froyo rom or gingerbread rom...i was using apk manager for linux then realized that it seems to be really outdated and not supported so i tried the windows version.

i dont get any errors recompiling after making my xml edit to progress_horizontal.xml but after flashing and pressing the volume rockers, instead of a progress bar i see the spinner animations from the framework-res.apk. Which i assume means something is wrong...not sure what i did wrong...any idea?

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
you just editing the hex codes?

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hex edit the xml file and see if that makes a difference.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you decompile the .apk it needs to be resigned. If just editing image files, just open with 7zip as an arhive. You can do that as well if you are going to hex edit.

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you decompile the .apk it needs to be resigned. If just editing image files, just open with 7zip as an arhive. You can do that as well if you are going to hex edit.

ALL apk's?... I have been told you don't need to sign system apk's so now I'm a little confused.... I haven't had any major issues yet w/o signing them but if it makes things flow even a little smoother, then I will...

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Always sign a .apk if it has been decompiled. Doesn't matter if it system app or not.