So you want to edit xml's or more... an ADB. APK Manager How-To (Basics)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
lol... yeah for you since you went thru all the trial; and error stage and understand all of it now........ you sayin you did all that? :D

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
lol... yeah for you since you went thru all the trial; and error stage and understand all of it now........ you sayin you did all that? :D

Actually, yeah I did play around a whole lot on my own.. haven't used a tut for 9patching but taught myself rather... and on getting errors recompiling, I used some bootleg conversation on a theming thread that wasn't the easiest to understand... so all in all, I think this thread is great for people that wanna edit xml's but don't know how to decompile an apk when it errors... maybe I haven't been down all the roads you have, but I've been down some roads... anyway, thanks again xkape

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe a thread like this is fantastic, and applaud xkape for starting it... but I'm wondering why all the added stuff that members won't need to decompile and edit XMLs....
You've always been a proud person BBoy, that's what probabvly drove you to get to where you are now.... but not everyone has that much drive to attempt all of this... so I'm just voicing what is my opinion about it...

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe a thread like this is fantastic, and applaud xkape for starting it... but I'm wondering why all the added stuff that members won't need to decompile and edit XMLs....
You've always been a proud person BBoy, that's what probabvly drove you to get to where you are now.... but not everyone has that much drive to attempt all of this... so I'm just voicing what is my opinion about it...

Um, I wasn't even saying anything about what you said Mbk.. of course we all have our own opinions... and I agree with what you said, but even tho it might be "too much" info.. it's well written so that it's understandable... I didn't have that kind of assistance and I'm sure you had even less... but I don't stir the pot on issues not purtaining to me, I just wanted xkape to know I think the thread will help a lot... plus it's in a section not too many reg users will be perusing through so I'm sure it will be a useful tool.... sorry if I came across like that man, you've helped me more than most.... :)

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
B-boy.. thanks man.. thank Devildog too though.. he added a lot to this.

Mbk... i understand your concern about turning noobs off. I don't know what you mean though about the thread title. I called it an ADB and APK Manager How-To. All those 1st steps are is setting those 2 apps up.

Again, like I told Devildog though.. you see areas of improvement, post em up or PM them to me. I will add them right in. I want this How-To to be a complete, easy to understand and follow walk thru for all users of all knowledge levels. I don't know everything, that's for sure. You know that cause most of my questions get directed at you...lol

Like B-boy said.. For him, probably for you and defiantely for me, something like this was not around. It was all just trial and error and lots of frustration. That probably got me way more knowledge than I would have had without this due to self troubleshooting "in the dark" so to speak but... there are ( at least I think there are) lots of talented image makers/designers, etc.. out there that would love to be able to just change it but don't because all this apk, adb, java randomness scares them.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And to add... I take none of the critcism as bad here. When I say " if you have something better, add it" I really DO want you to add it. Making it easier, adding stuff in that i missed, etc... different way you do it.. just want it to be as complete as it can be.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I love to help all the members here, I find more satisfaction in that than when I made themes or MMs.... so it does pertain to me

that being said, you feel that members should install all of what is mentioned to 'decompile and edit XMLs'? can you answer that for me

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I love to help all the members here, I find more satisfaction in that than when I made themes or MMs.... so it does pertain to me

that being said, you feel that members should install all of what is mentioned to 'decompile and edit XMLs'? can you answer that for me

If this was at me, I think my post was taken out of context.. I meant your opinion of this thread isn't my business.. not that this doesn't pertain to you ... and no, they prob don't need to.. but this isn't my thread and I still think it was written well.. whether it's too much or not..

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
and x... I in no way trying to put you down or anything... I've watched you develop into perhaps the best themer here.... it just bothered me to see all of that posted, because I think it would hinder many to even try just by it's sheer length/steps.....

I mean for editting XMLs I thought you would be more to the point and direct... because if we're talkin about learning everything, well then there's always this guide...
http://www.jbthemes.com/AndroidThemeingGuide/The Ultimate Android Themeing Guide.pdf

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Also, if that's directed at me... The answer is, no.. none of that androidsdk stuff is necessary unless you are pushing or pulling with adb. Still though, it's called an ADB how to so I kind of had to have that in there :)

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Mbk.. I'll meet you in the middle.. check the OP here in a minute...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I never meant to offend anyone, so I've said my piece... now I'll just exit this thread and let you evolve it as you see fit xkape.... sorry for creating a little stir...lol

and btw... I was asking B-Boy the question...:p ;) ....

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
there's no stir. Keep adding stuff. I'm sure that if there was even a little bit of a stir, it was all created due to us all not being in person. It's harder to decide how to take someones words if you can't hear the tone and inflection in their voice.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hahahaha.... I have a brother-in-law that could tell you that he created Android from the ground up...and wouldn't blink once!!....lol ... but that's another story...lol

Devildog8791

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Man, I sure didn't mean to start anything. I know that times I might want to pull a file from the phone, so that is why I set up SDK and ADB. You are right, MBK. All steps are not needed if you don't want to pull or push apk's. I just wanted to make a more clear cut tutorial that could be understood by all if they wanted to do everything, including pushing and pulling apk's.

You guys have been doing this a lot longer than I have. You have probably forgot more than I know at this point, but we all have to start somewhere. Just tryin' to ease the pain for the people starting out.