So wow this thing is a glitch fest

haproot

Reaction score
ok, where do i start...

Bought the Bionic on the 22nd. Got it all set up, got my apps the way i liked them, setup launcher pro. Everything fine and dandy, receive a call, and the ear speaker is all scratchy and distorted. A few test calls later and a call to my local store, they tell me my ear speaker is blown and to bring it in. I take it in, exchange for a new one, problem solved.

Friday evening, i put it on the charger. it sits there for about 3 or 4 hours. I pick it up to check on it, and it's totally non-responsive. Screen unlocks, launcher pro works, but nothing will launch and I can't turn wifi on or off. Then i pull it off the charger saying "what the heck" and poof, 5% battery please plug in your phone. OOOOO KAYYY.... So i go to bed and leave it on the charger. Saturday it's fine all day. I charge it up that evening, and go to bed with it on the night stand next to me.

This morning, i get up. Totally non-responsive, screen won't come on, it seems totally dead. pull the battery, put it back in, it starts up with 50% battery. What the heck is wrong with this thing? Anybody else have weird issues like this? I've used my D1 and Droid 3 pretty much exactly the same with no issues like this.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you using the stock charger and cable that came with the phone?

The first thing I would do is Factory Hard Reset. Let us know how that works out for you.

Good luck.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Are you using the stock charger and cable that came with the phone?

The first thing I would do is Factory Hard Reset. Let us know how that works out for you.

Good luck.

Hard reset as a first thing to try? This loses all of your settings and even with backups you will lose data from many apps. Kind of like having a Windows issue and tech supports says to just reinstall Windows. In either case you're taking a drastic measure that will take many hours to recover from. Yes - you may want to try a hard reset before taking it back but before that I'd consider what apps might be screwing it up. I'd try disabling or removing launcher pro - but look at the other apps.

The event where it charged overnight but in the morning it was dead and when reset only had a half charge - this could be the known freeze problem that many are encountering. It probably happened halfway through the charge. This issue could be fixed in the upcoming patch release in late October or early November.

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
The event where it charged overnight but in the morning it was dead and when reset only had a half charge - this could be the known freeze problem that many are encountering. It probably happened halfway through the charge. This issue could be fixed in the upcoming patch release in late October or early November.

Yeah would like to avoid a hard reset if possible, i've set this thing up twice now. Since the first one had a speaker issue. Usually what I do is charge it completely before bed or during the day. I try not to just leave it on the charger for more than is needed. I had to charge overnight that one time because it was actually depleting the battery earlier that night while it was supposed to be charging.

Last night it was fully charged before bed, I put it on my nightstand with 100% charge, not plugged in. When I woke up this morning, it was at 50% once I pulled the battery to get it out of it's dead state. But I'm wondering if maybe it went to sleep overnight? Never have seen this sleep mode before, I don't think my D3 had it. You wouldn't think the battery would be half dead tho.

But two nights previous is when i had it charging for 3 or 4 hours and when i picked it up it was totally dead. And frozen somewhat, launcher worked but none of the apps or functions would work.

Hopefully it's just a software glitch, i don't want to replace it again. Sucks setting these things up over and over just to get a good one.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Had mine since launch. Had none of those problems...i hope u get it figured out!

Rjohnson3452

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad charger cable or the wrong charging cable. I've had similar problems on my old Droid 2 because I was using a cable meant to charge a Bluetooth. Also could be a bad battery connection, make sure its nice and snug. Hope you get it figured out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
Well the last couple days it has been ok, no lockups or anything. However unfortunately I have that whine in the background when watching video or playing music. On top of that the network disconnects randomly and takes a reboot to get it back. Pandora clicks and pops during playback as well. The back cover is beginning to creak and give it this cheap feeling after just a couple days of use. This phone is going back for a refund today or tomorrow. back to the droid 1 i go.

solution

Reaction score
Hard reset as a first thing to try? This loses all of your settings and even with backups you will lose data from many apps. Kind of like having a Windows issue and tech supports says to just reinstall Windows. In either case you're taking a drastic measure that will take many hours to recover from. Yes - you may want to try a hard reset before taking it back but before that I'd consider what apps might be screwing it up. I'd try disabling or removing launcher pro - but look at the other apps.

I would recommend doing a Hard Reset when first recieving the phone, before you take the time to load apps and configure the phone. This ensures you get a fresh install of the phone's OS before starting. Sounds like he is having multiple OS issues and if he does not have the knowledge on to use logcat to troubleshoot, he's kinda in a bad situation. If he goes the route if uninstalling apps then he'll probably get to a point where he will uninstall all of them, at that point he'll realize he probably would've saved time by doing a hard reset.

I know its a hard choice and it sucks but if you want results you have to do it. My first bionic had mulitple issues including horrible battery life and dead pixels and services stuck in debug mode. Before I returned it to VZW I did a factory reset and reloaded my apps, right away i noticed the battery life was WAAAAY better and after capturing logs I noticed the two services werenty going crazy anymore. So when I got my second unit right off the bat I did a factory reset then loaded apps and configured and its currently running sweet as a nut :)

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
Like I said before it has been running fine as of late but the deal breaker for me is the lovely whine that accompanies my music and media. Drives me batty. I don't believe a software update will fix and if it does I may buy another bionic later. For now ill stick with my Droid 1. Thanks for the suggestions everyone I do appreciate it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

solution

Reaction score
Like I said before it has been running fine as of late but the deal breaker for me is the lovely whine that accompanies my music and media. Drives me batty. I don't believe a software update will fix and if it does I may buy another bionic later. For now ill stick with my Droid 1. Thanks for the suggestions everyone I do appreciate it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sounds like a personal issue to me...

Hopefully they won't charge a restock fee, they tried to that with me.

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
Yeah when they bring that up, I will ask that they bring out another bionic, I will find the issue on that one, and the next one, and the next one.. just as I have at work, i've seen three other bionics, they all have the problem. At that point I'll prove to them that the issue is with each and every bionic they have. And hey, If i find one that I can't hear this issue with, then SWEET! I'll take it home with me.

To spend $589 on a device and have this terrible whine in the background is just a slap in the face. How it even got past quality control is beyond me. It's like their testers don't even like music. And yep you could call it a personal problem if you like, it is important to me that this expensive pocket computer can play music without giving me a headache.

solution

Reaction score
OK I'm done. How silly of me, thinking that someone posting in tech support was actually looking for help. All you really want to do is ***** and moan and have people read your posts. Congrats. Can we have this thread moved to the drama section? Thx.

I won't be replying to this thread anymore, have a good one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
OK I'm done. How silly of me, thinking that someone posting in tech support was actually looking for help. All you really want to do is ***** and moan and have people read your posts. Congrats. Can we have this thread moved to the drama section? Thx.

I won't be replying to this thread anymore, have a good one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You are right, I have ranted too much. Please excuse me. I have had a not so good day. The original issues I posted about are no longer a problem. Thanks for your time.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
I've had mine since launch day and it's been rooted for about a week now. Only glitch I've had is it's done the not waking up from sleep mode thing 2x. Of course, I go days without rebooting it too. I've had no complaints from this phone.