so with google voice...

thesandman51

Reaction score
...would I be able to have sms's sent to my mobile number forwarded to my GV number?

I'd like to take advantage of GV, but I don't really want to have to change my number. I know that sounds all picky or whatever, but a lot of people have my number, and it'd be a pain to change it.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
...would I be able to have sms's sent to my mobile number forwarded to my GV number?

I'd like to take advantage of GV, but I don't really want to have to change my number. I know that sounds all picky or whatever, but a lot of people have my number, and it'd be a pain to change it.

You've got it backwards. The only way to take advantage of all of the GV features is if you switch to using your GV number. I'm struggling with the same thing right now. I really want to switch over to my GV number, but getting everyone to use it is going to be a pain (I think).

Anyway, if you use your GV number, your TXT messages can be forwarded to your mobile. ALternatively, you can have GV email you when you receive a text, or you can receive your text using the GV app.

edit: I should add that you can still take advantage of some of the GV features like VVM without switching your number.

OP
thesandman51

thesandman51

Reaction score

You've got it backwards. The only way to take advantage of all of the GV features is if you switch to using your GV number. I'm struggling with the same thing right now. I really want to switch over to my GV number, but getting everyone to use it is going to be a pain (I think).

Anyway, if you use your GV number, your TXT messages can be forwarded to your mobile. ALternatively, you can have GV email you when you receive a text, or you can receive your text using the GV app.

edit: I should add that you can still take advantage of some of the GV features like VVM without switching your number.

Yeah, I think I might use Google Voicemail, I really just wish I could get texts through GV so I can get rid of my texting service and make my plan a little cheaper.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It can be a pain. I suggest just doing it and getting it over with. For me the features available using the GV number have been worth the switch though YMMV, of course.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

Yeah, I think I might use Google Voicemail, I really just wish I could get texts through GV so I can get rid of my texting service and make my plan a little cheaper.

That's part of the reason that I want to switch over too.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

You don't have to switch you can keep you number.
Have you reviewed the Google videos so you can make an informed choice.

You can get a GV number later if you don't want to switch now.

iPirate

Reaction score
I know a while ago when we didnt have current technology having the same # would matter, but I feel like now with it bein so easy to add a person to your phone and change their # it isn't as important to keep the same number.

Plus, you aren't loosing your Verizon #, you have both. So the people you forget to tell can still contact you and you can let them know.

I want to switch to use GV but I need to figure out the details with adding #s to friends/family etc.

les017

Reaction score
I am current ly in the process of switching. The beauty is that you can do your migration as quickly or as slow as you want. I started off with some of my work contacts that I wanted to be able to ring multiple phones as well as a few buddies that are not on verizon. That only leaves about threw hundred more people that I need to switch but I will do them one at a time via Google Voice sms. grab a few well thought out contacts and hit them with a text indicating the new number. When they respond them I will have a google voice conversion with them listed as well as their 406 number to add into their contact.Now I know they are done. I guess this is working towards the future for me. Just start with a few buddies that are tolerant of change and go from there. Pretty painless actually, just need to look at it in terms of the long haul. over the next couple months it will be done once and for all.