So Wifi kills my phone reception?

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Actually the bars have nothing to do with the 3G signal. U can be in the middle of the desert and have no bars and a red circle with a line through it but u can have good 3G signal. Its two separate signals. Now having 1 bar doesn't mean it has low signal those r just estimates and completely not accurate, ur phone can display 1 bar as an estimate but in reality u might have full coverage. When u turn on wifi ur 3G automaticaly shuts down, and the bars droping doesn't mean anything its just doing it for no reason but ur coverage is still the same. However if u cnt make calls or receive txts while ur on wifi then there is a problem with ur antenna and might need a replacement.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually the bars have nothing to do with the 3G signal. U can be in the middle of the desert and have no bars and a red circle with a line through it but u can have good 3G signal. Its two separate signals. Now having 1 bar doesn't mean it has low signal those r just estimates and completely not accurate, ur phone can display 1 bar as an estimate but in reality u might have full coverage. When u turn on wifi ur 3G automaticaly shuts down, and the bars droping doesn't mean anything its just doing it for no reason but ur coverage is still the same. However if u cnt make calls or receive txts while ur on wifi then there is a problem with ur antenna and might need a replacement.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

^^^

Well said. Quit worrying about the bars unless your calls are getting dropped.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow fellas.

When you connect to a wifi, the phone shuts off your 3G radio to conserve power. No point in using a radio meant for data only networks when youre on a landline, right????

For the record phone calls and texting use the older "2G" network.

On this note, is there a way to temporarily override this? Case in point, I'm connected to Wi-Fi more or less all the time (at school, at work, at home - where I spent ~90% of my time these days). When I want to send or receive a MMS message (picture message), I have to turn Wi-Fi off. This is sort of a pain in the ass, but what makes it a huge pain in the ass is my university network requires a re-authentication login every time the connection is lost. My D2 doesn't get along very well with the university's routers, and sometimes I have to turn Wi-Fi on and off several times before I can get an IP address. Boring. At home it's no big deal, the router here is quite friendly, but it would still be nice if I could tell the phone to force 3G when dealing with MMS, as (to my knowledge) VZW does not allow VoIP or M/SMSoIP.