So Wifi kills my phone reception?

Ace_437

Reaction score
I finally got the wifi connection working, and it's great. However, it seems that since doing so my phone reception sucks. I'm not sure if it's really the problem, but has anyone seen anything like that before?

Viktorr

Reaction score
No.

Sorry if that doesn't answer your inquiry. Haven't had an issue although I use wifi as my primary connection at my residence.

My 3G hasn't suffered from what I can tell though.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Could be a coincidence...have you updated your PRLs??

Sent from somewhere...

OP
A

Ace_437

Reaction score
I can turn wifi on and off, and watch my reception bars drop like a rock and then come back. Weird.

PRLs? What are they and how do I update them?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can turn wifi on and off, and watch my reception bars drop like a rock and then come back. Weird.

PRLs? What are they and how do I update them?

Preferred Roaming List. *228 option 2. Wifi has nothing to do with the phone service.

martial69

Reaction score
Have a Droid X as well and I can turn off my WIFI and then my phone goes from one bar and no 3G to 4 bars and 3G on.

So I only connect to my network occasionally.

My wireless network is 802.11n. Thought I heard there were issues.... not sure.

Any help would be great.

plutonium0587

Reaction score
I have noticed mine does this sometimes but it doesn't seem to affect my reception even with one bar. I wonder if it drops to save power or something since it knows you are using wifi for data? Who knows...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I can verify this as well. If I'm on 3G, I'll usually have a steady 3 bars maybe 4 if im in a good location.

When I activated wifi, my coverage drops everytime usually to 1 bar but sometimes ill be lucky and it'll jump up to 2 bars every once in a while.

I haven't noticed a delay in texts or missed phone calls or anything like that, I've only noticed that the bars consistently drop when wifi is connected.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow fellas.

When you connect to a wifi, the phone shuts off your 3G radio to conserve power. No point in using a radio meant for data only networks when youre on a landline, right????

For the record phone calls and texting use the older "2G" network.

martial69

Reaction score
I appreciate your input, but your explanation does not explain why my reception drops to one bar.

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow fellas.

When you connect to a wifi, the phone shuts off your 3G radio to conserve power. No point in using a radio meant for data only networks when youre on a landline, right????

For the record phone calls and texting use the older "2G" network.

What's the "wow. just wow fellas" for?

The problem isn't with 3G shutting off, the issue is why does the phone have consistently higher bars when using a 3G connection (3-4 bars in my experience), versus using wifi (usually 1-2 bars in my experience) ?

I can't quite figure it out why cellular network strength decreases when wifi is connected.

Reaction score
These phones are known to consistently show low bars even when signal strength is good. If you can make and receive calls, your signal strength is fine.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I guess what i didnt mention was that can you make/recieve calls and texts just fine?

Yeah that 'wow. Just wow' was exactly what you think it meant.

miketoasty

Reaction score
3g and 1x are two completely different signals. While you may get great 3g coverage in your area it does not mean you will get great 1x and vice versa. And as stated before wifi disables your 3g which would be why you are noticing this drop.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App