So who's super disappointed?

Discussion in 'Motorola Moto X' started by Hugh Jass, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Most of it is simple confusion, the same reason Apple doesn't use SD cards. There's multiple conflicts with external storage:

Where do I store my files?
    Where did my files go?
    Should Android prompt me where to save every time I save?
    Should Android have a setting to control file saving?

As an advanced user even I get confused from time to time just trying to figure out where a file I downloaded went, phone partition, internal partition, external partition...it's just messy.

Other reasons against:

Quirks brought on from the Apps2SD process such as broken widgets.

Phones would be faster, application performance would be smoother.

The lack of proper filesystem permissions. Because SD cards are generally formatted using the FAT file system due to high compatibility with multiple operating systems, they lack the concept of file ownership entirely. If Google wants to be taken seriously when it comes to security, there should be no weak links like that. Imagine a modern PC where an unprivileged user could access every file in the file system.

Adding the complexity of multiple users to something as portable as an SD card would undoubtedly create an array of problems. What happens when two users are using the same app that stores some of its data on the SD card? What happens when you move your SD card to another device with a different multiuser configuration (or lack of the concept of users entirely)?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

2. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I guess I've been lucky then, as I have not had any of the problems that you mention, either in the 2 years that I had the Droid or the nearly 2 years that I've had my Inc2. I set up where I want my files to go and that's it. That's where they go. I'll take the versatility any day.

3. stemo

stemo Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I played with the moto x today in Verizon. I loved the way the phone felt in hand. The phone was snappier than my razr m and I loved the vanilla Android.

4. Mike.757

Mike.757 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +488
    I was in the store to get a Moto X until I realized that not only did it not have a removable battery it doesn't have expandable storage. I walked back out with my S3 still in my pocket. Waiting on the Note 3.

5. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I grabbed on regardless of the same opinion. Great phone. Don't need removable storage or battery personally although I like them. Give it a shot u won't be disappointed.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

6. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I don't actually need either of those, as long as the battery and memory is sufficient. However, 16GB of memory, with only 10GB or so free is not sufficient.
    I (and apparently Mike.757) am already disappointed since I know that 10GB free is not enough for the music, pics and videos that I already want to load on it. This doesn't even include photos that I will/might take.
    Otherwise, I do like the phone. The size, smoothness and features are nearly perfect for me. Perhaps I'll consider the 32GB version when it's available on Verizon. Until then, it's a definite no go. With the size and cost of memory these days, it is not reasonable for companies to not put in at least 32GB for middle and top end phones. And charging an extra $50 for 16GB is unreasonable too. Not as bad as Apple though for the outrageous prices they charge for extra memory.

7. dad2paisley

dad2paisley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Who would pay $600 for this phone? If you due for an upgrade it only cost $199 just like the HTC One, S4. You also get a $50 off code, so it's now $149. And stop staying that the Moto X is a midrange phone. It's not.

8. alhadee12

alhadee12 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I also heard you get 50GB of free storage for 2 years.

9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    This is true!

10. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    That's great if you want to pay $600 to keep unlimited. However, I don't intend to pay that much for any phone. Even if I do pay full price, I still have to pay the subsidized monthly price for data, so Verizon gets the max money for the phone and the max money for data. This is why I want at least 32GB memory on the phone or SD card storage. Verizon and Google are trying to force people to pay for storage and data to bring in as much money as possible. Of course, the 2 years of storage for free is nice if you have unlimited.

The rest of the world pays full price for the phones. I wonder how much they pay monthly for phone service and data.

11. m3incorp

m3incorp Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree 100%.

12. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Why not use Google play music and have all your music stored for free? I also back all my photos up to Google plus free that way I always have access to all my photos. Just a thought.

Galaxy S4!!!

Search tags for this page
free galaxy s4 contract â£25

moto x disappoint

moto x disappointed

moto x phone
moto x so disappointed
motorola moto x phone
motorola x phone disappoint me