So who's super disappointed?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
If it wasn't for the reception issues that I've seen with Samsung I'd be all over the s4.

Sitting next to a coworker my bionic has full 4G, hers has 3G until she leaves the building.

Hm...wonder what the differences are as far as Samsung's reception goes. My girlfriend has an S3, I've got a Galaxy Nexus...we're both on Verizon. Last night we were out at a restaurant...my phone was on 3G with no voice signal; she had 4G and "2 bars" of voice. Weird.

Another reason I was hoping for the great priced Moto X. If it's got those dual 4G antennas, maybe my reception overall will be better (at my house, I have to have one of Verizon's extenders because of the lousy coverage there).

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hm...wonder what the differences are as far as Samsung's reception goes. My girlfriend has an S3, I've got a Galaxy Nexus...we're both on Verizon. Last night we were out at a restaurant...my phone was on 3G with no voice signal; she had 4G and "2 bars" of voice. Weird.

Another reason I was hoping for the great priced Moto X. If it's got those dual 4G antennas, maybe my reception overall will be better (at my house, I have to have one of Verizon's extenders because of the lousy coverage there).

The chipset plays a huge part in this. The SGS3 has the Samsung chipset, the S4 for example, has the Qualcomm chipset. The Qualcomm chipsets have better reception and voice quality.

m3incorp

Reaction score
It just made sense. The timing would have been impeccable. They exposed a huge demand for a subsidized device with the N4. Rumors of the N5. Then the exposure of the Moto X and it's potential to fill the void of the missing N5. The market is shifting and the flagships of yore will be relics of the past soon, the singularity is within view so there's no justification to have 9GB of RAM or 37 core chips, the benefits simply are not there with current battery technology. With mid to high end sets pushing into the market from no name companies like Huawei offering similar experience for half the price, it's a no brainier to be more budget conscious at this point. The smartphone market is losing momentum very quickly, and the reasoning behind a $600 phone is no longer there. Mid tier phones are selling world wide at blistering
pace but these big blockbuster phones are waning. That's why we're seeing a model of build a phone then build a "mini" replica just to keep the sales up.

It's sort of how the PC market went, all PC's were expensive as hell, then the market became flooded with a hundred companies fighting for the budget PC market. Sure you
can pay thousands of dollars for an Alienware gaming PC, but is it worth it for everyone to buy one? Hell no. I predict over the next 2 years the swing away from these uber devices
will fade away giving life to new, truly innovative ideas instead of spec bumps AT A GREAT PRICE LIKE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE HERE AND NOW, and personally I can't wait.

Google had they offered to eat the overhead as they did with the N4 could have launched the most successful android device of all time, with no doubt from me at all. Word of mouth alone that there exist a phone that you don't have to buy through a carrier subsidy and contract at an affordable price would have been headline news. The prospects are enormous, but instead of letting the device sell it's self the way it should they've instead marked it up and are throwing $500 million in marketing at it to force it to sell as everything else.

Someone out there is going to get this model right, and when they do they will dominate the market the likes of which have only been seen by Apple with the original iPhone.

I was taught a long time ago that when someone refers to "They", then that person doesn't really know who the "they" is. Did Motorola or any carrier say anything about a cheap off contract Motorola X? Nope, so guess that means neither or them are the "they". You said a lot in your reply. Is this a quote from "they" or is this your opinion? Many people are butt hurt for reading a post from "they" who speculated what most thought would be too good to be true. Rumors and speculations are just that! I'm sure the manufacturers love the hye these rumors give their devices before they are officially announced. Hey, two years ago almost every new phone that came out, was at the $299 price point on contract, so things have gotten a little better.

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I was taught a long time ago that when someone refers to "They", then that person doesn't really know who the "they" is. Did Motorola or any carrier say anything about a cheap off contract Motorola X? Nope, so guess that means neither or them are the "they". You said a lot in your reply. Is this a quote from "they" or is this your opinion? Many people are butt hurt for reading a post from "they" who speculated what most thought would be too good to be true. Rumors and speculations are just that! I'm sure the manufacturers love the hye these rumors give their devices before they are officially announced. Hey, two years ago almost every new phone that came out, was at the $299 price point on contract, so things have gotten a little better.

Of course it's my opinion, this is the damn internet. The last time I saw a fact on the internet it was about Rosie O'Donnell and it certainly isn't appropriate for this forum. But just for you I fixed it since the obvious isn't...well, obvious.

It just made sense. The timing would have been impeccable. Google exposed a huge demand for a subsidized device with the N4. Rumors of the N5. Then the exposure of the Moto X and it's potential to fill the void of the missing N5. The market is shifting and the flagships of yore will be relics of the past soon, the singularity is within view so there's no justification to have 9GB of RAM or 37 core chips, the benefits simply are not there with current battery technology. With mid to high end sets pushing into the market from no name companies like Huawei offering similar experience for half the price, it's a no brainier to be more budget conscious at this point. The smartphone market is losing momentum very quickly, and the reasoning behind a $600 phone is no longer there. Mid tier phones are selling world wide at blistering
pace but these big blockbuster phones are waning. That's why we're seeing a model of build a phone then build a "mini" replica just to keep the sales up.

It's sort of how the PC market went, all PC's were expensive as hell, then the market became flooded with a hundred companies fighting for the budget PC market. Sure you
can pay thousands of dollars for an Alienware gaming PC, but is it worth it for everyone to buy one? Hell no. I predict over the next 2 years the swing away from these uber devices
will fade away giving life to new, truly innovative ideas instead of spec bumps AT A GREAT PRICE LIKE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE HERE AND NOW, and personally I can't wait.

Had Google offered to eat the overhead as Google did with the N4 could have launched the most successful android device of all time, with no doubt from me at all. Word of mouth alone that there exist a phone that you don't have to buy through a carrier subsidy and contract at an affordable price would have been headline news. The prospects are enormous, but instead of letting the device sell it's self the way it should they've instead marked it up and are throwing $500 million in marketing at it to force it to sell as everything else.

Someone out there is going to get this model right, and when an unknown vendor does, the unknown vendor will dominate the market the likes of which have only been seen by Apple with the original iPhone.

dl1762

Reaction score
Not super but its underwhelming

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

NOVICE

Reaction score
Have the Note 2 and there's nothing about the Moto X that tempts me to use one of my three upgrades to purchase what is an average phone for 199$.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea, having held and played with one, I wouldn't waste my upgrade on it, thats for sure.

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I have 36.1 GB of music stored on my 64 GB micro SD card. There's no slot for my micro SD card on this new phone. Therefore my Visa card won't fit into the card swiper at the Verizon store.

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Google play music isn't very hard to use you know. All you music, none of your storage space.

Sent from my Nexus 10

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this phone and I have a Note 2.

I want to know what its like to have a phone with all these cool features. This is what Apple brought to the table many years ago. A phone with features. Not a phone with sheer processing power, or a phone that has the most storage space. While I think this is competing in the "lifestyle" phone section, I think it is about time someone addressed the fact that people want a phone that is smooth and has these features out of the box. You think you show someone you can talk to their phone and it will give them information without touching it, and they'll by something else? I doubt. Especially people that are interested in features.

That said I'm going to give it a go. I'm not sure on which carrier (T-Mo or VZW) but I'm definitely giving it a shot.

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Why would you be using a phone for music in such a case?

Sent from my Nexus 10

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
Rocket, since the advent of android phones and all their cool features, I hardly ever use a real live computer, and that goes for real live MP3 players and cameras too. I think the manufacturers of these phones owe us the option of an SD card slot. I don't want my music and photos getting lost in the clouds when there's no signal.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Do you often go somewhere that has zero signal and zero wifi?

I don't think the majority of smartphone owners are usually in the desert, having to listen to music. So I'd assume this is why SD slots on Android smartphones are going the wayside. Their vision is to utilize the cloud...and in all honesty, why have any kind of cell phone if you're constantly somewhere that has no signal?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Do you often go somewhere that has zero signal and zero wifi?

I don't think the majority of smartphone owners are usually in the desert, having to listen to music. So I'd assume this is why SD slots on Android smartphones are going the wayside. Their vision is to utilize the cloud...and in all honesty, why have any kind of cell phone if you're constantly somewhere that has no signal?

You obviously don't travel very often. I've been to hundreds of places that can only sustain a very weak 3g connection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4