So what's holding you back?

Discussion in 'Cord Cutters Forum' started by PereDroid, Mar 22, 2017.

1. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds weird, but not looking for free. Just less expenses than paying Directv. I know SelectTv isn't free, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and what their experience was like. BTW: cabalities=capabilities!

• Like Like x 1
  2. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +303
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G7
    Twitter:
    @Loudram
    I'm not looking for free either just curious what you get for your $.

3. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    So basically, SelectTv is the middle guy. And you end up paying the other services anyway. Moving on. I'll prolly be keeping Netflix and Amazon through the end of the year, because next year the membership goes up to $119. It just seems like you end up paying them what they want no matter what you do. I'll keep trying tho..

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +993
    It's different for me....I just swap back-and-forth after the promotional pricing ends for Comcast, AT&T, DirectTv, etc....typically, those deals come out to about $30-$50 more than standalone internet , BEFORE whatever bundle of other services you have to patch together for a comparable cable package.

So there's little to no savings, and a whole lot of inconvenience, for me to cut the cord. But it is becoming a hassle to haggle and switch services to get the best pricing (except I'd be doing the same with standalone internet).

Or I could just ditch the whole thing and use my phone to tether :)

Otherwise Comcast has a deal - with Verizon - for unlimited everything for $40 a month, and then a pretty good internet/cable bundle on top of that. But I don't want to be locked-in to Comcast on a cell contract when my internet/cable promo expires (which is why they offer it!).

AT&T does something similar. Maybe it's time to part with my VZW old unlimited plan and save some real money - maybe almost $2k over 2 years. How bad is the throttling after 22GB?

#28 kodiak799, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10,901
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    I have not seen any throttling ever, and we routinely go over the 22GB mark. One of my kids is at > 40 GB now, 1/2 way through our billing cycle.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +993
    That seems to be the consensus - lot of complaining about the potential, but have not heard of people being throttled. Plus, that will probably be non-existent once 5G comes rolling out.

So, anyway....$40 for unlimited everything is a heck of a deal, no? But once I look at the whole bundle, basically they just rope me in giving me the savings on my phone instead of the cable/internet. And I would assume, like everything else, that mobile package doubles (or triples) after 2 years.

Search tags for this page

azs

news