So what's holding you back?

Discussion in 'Cord Cutters Forum' started by PereDroid, Mar 22, 2017.

1. IIGood

IIGood Silver Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S6
    I've tinkered with the idea, but nothing serious. Previously it was the channel selections on many of the service offerings. I just checked Sling now and saw that they've expanded their offerings, but they're still missing some key choices for me.

My girlfriend watches the "lifestyle" channels such as Hallmark, E, Bravo, etc. It seemed some of the services don't offer some of those...but Sling does now I see.

Every so often, her niece and nephew visit...they're 9 and 7...they watch Disney or Nickelodeon. Nick is there, but I see any offerings from the world of Disney and ABC are missing. I'd want ABC for the network shows (Agents of SHIELD mostly :) ), but I realize I could pull that OTA.

Generally, for me, it's finding the right combination of channels. I don't watch the premium channels like HBO, but do spend a lot of time in the "basic cable" world.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RETG

RETG Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Very limited broadband usage, so basically it is dish or direct if I want to watch anything on TV. Not everyone lives in densely populated HUMAN areas.

3. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,014
    Been a cord cutter for about 5 years now and will not look back. Unfortunately as I feared, cable companies have caught on and are now breaking everything into streaming "packages". If you are not careful you could find yourself spending more to stream than what you paid for cable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,226
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Yea but overall it isn't the pricing that keeps me from going back. It was originally part of the reason, but prices have come down.
    I actually might go back to cable IF it wasn't for the shitty pricing tactics. I can get basic cable and 60m internet today for $99...IF I add home phone. Wtf. Stop that. I don't want your stupid home phone. I also don't want to rent your boxes...I don't want to rent a DVR...an extra fee for HD? And my bill goes up after that first year....and I'm stuck in a contract... Screw all that.
    When I quit cable I was paying $170/mo all in. Went from that to about $110 includes internet of course. I'm sure I could get close to that or we from cable today. I just don't want to anymore. It's not about price for me anymore...it's convenience. It's flexibility. Its about on demand.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

5. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    true, but you just got to know where to look. with all the different streaming packages being released and advertise, people forget there are other ways to get the same streaming. just a bit harder and not as pretty going from site to site

6. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    I doubt I ever go back to cable. got tired of paying for cable the paying again to save it because I was never home for favorite shows. right now I only have netflix and funimation for streaming though I do have amazon prime mostly for shipping. that is all I pay for.

7. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G7
    Twitter:
    @Loudram
    So I'm thinking about the Fire stick. I know there are many channels you can add but what channels can you get for free? I looked online and I can't find a straight answer. I'm not worried about movie channels like HBO because we have Netflix.

8. PereDroid

Ratings:
    +4,226
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Pluto is one. Crackle.
    Got a Library card? Kanopy and Hoopla are 2 more.
    There's a ton of commercial supported ones on Roku. Not as many on Fire but still quite a bit.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G7
    Twitter:
    @Loudram
    What about History Channel, Discovery Channel, and other ones like that?

10. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone tried SelectTv? My wife and I have moved to the outskirts of town and can get cable, but the expense to get it hooked up is WOW! Let's just say Spectrum is willing to pitch in $3000.. The property has never had cable run to it. We got the MiFi and are now in a contract with Verizon. Which is working out good, but is not a long term solution. That's another story. We got the Roamio and really like the DVR cabalities and other built-in features. We currently use over the air programming and Amazon prime. But we are missing some programs and the antenna is inconsistent. I do have it 15 feet in the air, but it can change from day to day. Even the channel can come and go depending on the distributor.

11. PereDroid

Ratings:
    +4,226
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    None of that is free
    Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

12. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +308