So what is the advantage of WiFi vs. the Cell Network

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to add one more thing about WiFi. Some locations offer "free" wifi, but I've found that I'm unable to do some apps in those places. For example, at my local McDonalds, I can't access the Market via the AT&T free Wifi.

natty_lite

Reaction score
Could be a variety of things:
  • There is no (or poor) 3G coverage where you are but WiFi is available
  • You are uploading/downloading a large amount of data and want to take advantage of the higher speed of WiFi - it consumes more power per second but can often be enough faster that a large download (e.g. 6MB) will actually use less battery power over WiFi
  • You want to make/receive SIP/VoIP calls over WiFi (only a handful of services/apps to do this right now as far as I know)
  • You want to do file sharing via FTP or similar over a home network or between a laptop and your phone
  • etc......

That said, 3G is so good that I don't often find myself using WiFi. Kind of up to your own particular usage patterns but it's nice to have the choice!
That pretty much covers everything.

mfdbone

Reaction score
Ok, So I want to be sure, if i use wi-fi it will not use my data plan. So it wont cost me more? I am trying to figure it out to make sure. I know there is a limit on the data plan, I tried to find a way to turn it off when I am connected to wi-fi. But I can find a way to turn the 3g off, thank Doug

jakenovak

Reaction score
Ok, So I want to be sure, if i use wi-fi it will not use my data plan. So it wont cost me more? I am trying to figure it out to make sure. I know there is a limit on the data plan, I tried to find a way to turn it off when I am connected to wi-fi. But I can find a way to turn the 3g off, thank Doug

There is no limit with smartphones. There is a limit with other 3G devices, but not the Droid (assuming you have a Verizon Wireless account, that is).

mfdbone

Reaction score
Yes I do, Thank you, This sight is great. I learn so much from ready all of it, But I dont have the courage yet to do all the fancy stuff. It sounds like it is worth it.
Douglas

eliassami5

Reaction score

Who told you there is a limit? With the unlimited data plan..which you are required to have..there is no limit. As long as you are using it for its intended purpose. If you are tethering then thats a different matter.

corydunbar

Reaction score
wifi draws less power than 3G and it is faster, why would you not want to be connected to wifi? That said the natural state for your droid is 3G so if you lock you phone it will revert to 3G in the background. And if you're using your droid, but out of range of wifi, then turn it off. Because you'll waste battery continuously searching for a wifi network.

tcayton49

Reaction score
Also, if you are connected to WiFi you can make calls while surfing the internet or using internet related apps, even though AT&T and the iPhone would like you to think you can only do that on their network.

Fraxinus

Reaction score

toastedoats

Reaction score
What I get for that is that based on the time that the radio is active, the wifi draws more current from the battery, but since its faster the radio is using less battery doing a specific task due to a shortened duration.

And a "google developer" is likely a software guy, different radios in different devices will have different efficiencies.

3G (300kbps): 210mA * 2.7 min = 9.5 mAh
WiFi (1Mbps): 330mA * 48 sec = 4.4 mAh

Fraxinus

Reaction score
What I get for that is that based on the time that the radio is active, the wifi draws more current from the battery, but since its faster the radio is using less battery doing a specific task due to a shortened duration.

And a "google developer" is likely a software guy, different radios in different devices will have different efficiencies.

3G (300kbps): 210mA * 2.7 min = 9.5 mAh
WiFi (1Mbps): 330mA * 48 sec = 4.4 mAh

you're right about active radio time. Are you aware of any devices with 3G and WiFi that are more efficient (in terms of time) on WiFi though? I'll admit different chipsets will be a little different, but it's probably negligible.

What it comes down to is the application. For very lightweight (non-data intensive) browsing 3G is probably preferable. For downloading an MP3, switching to WiFi if it's available is a good bet.

EDIT: also, I think Jeff Sharkey is making the point that even pure software developers need to be cognizant of the hardware and underlying OS they're developing on to optimize their product for battery life.

toastedoats

Reaction score
you're right about active radio time. Are you aware of any devices with 3G and WiFi that are more efficient (in terms of time) on WiFi though? I'll admit different chipsets will be a little different, but it's probably negligible.

I couldnt say, but I havent looked for or seen any data on the subject, from my own personal experience it seems that the wifi is more efficient overall than the 3g, but I have no data to support my feeling.

I agree that simple processes like notifications and updates are probably more efficient on 3g, but anything more than that wifi will likely come out on top.

I think the biggest difference is most people wont be diligent enough to disable the wifi when they aren't at their typical hotspots so the wifi will be scanning all day long while they are out driving around.

This is all my own uneducated speculation and has no facts or merit to it other than my own opinion and reasonable (to me) deductions based on my limited knowledge of the topic.

bimmerbill

Reaction score
So how do you figure out which is faster, 3G or wifi? I know my wifi speeds, but how do I determine my 3G speed?

Fraxinus

Reaction score
...from my own personal experience it seems that the wifi is more efficient overall than the 3g, but I have no data to support my feeling.

you definitely raise a good point though. If WiFi transfers data enough faster it seems like any scenario would yield greater efficiency with Wifi.

i.e.
3G = 300kbps & 210mA = 1.43kb/mA
WiFi = 1Mbps & 330mA = 3.03kb/mA

Any way you slice it, WiFi would be more efficient (assuming I'm making a logical calculation...). I think what probably gets you is keeping your 802.11 radio powered on while you *aren't* transferring data (say you're reading a web page that's already loaded). I'm not sure though...