So What Did You Get?

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by Jeffrey, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    [​IMG]

Christmas, a time to give and a time to receive. Two days have past and some of us are cleaning and wiping our old devices. Looking for the original box and accessories so we can get it listed on eBay.

So, What Did You Get?

For me, it's a new LG Sound Plate to go with my LG UHD TV. Unfortunately, its still in the box as I haven't had the time to install it, but expect to do so in the next day or two. I'll get back to you.

[​IMG]

What did you get? Time for Show & Tell.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tonik

Tonik Active Member

Ratings:
    +67
    My kid gave me a moto 360. So far it is really cool and far more useful than I expected.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Well, my Motorola Droid Turbo was really an early Christmas gift. I'm quite pleased.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Got a few clothes, and some money. I pretty much got everything I wanted for Christmas on Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales....

• Like Like x 4
  5. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    So, I was perplexed at what a "sound plate" was, so Google is my friend. Very interesting. it's a 4.1 speaker system in that thin profile component, designed to sit UNDER the TV/Monitor, and provide surround sound with a built-in subwoofer, all in a very compact package. I wouldn't normally have much faith in sound reproduction of such a small component, with such small drivers, however mini-driver speaker systems and portable Bluetooth speakers technology has come so incredibly far that we're getting quite a dynamic sound from amazingly small packages.

I'd be real interested in your take on the sound quality, Jeffery... I would probably be a terrible critic of one of these, because I'd be comparing it against vintage audiophile equipment I run for my main sound system, that is well above ten thousand dollars in collective cost (and that's not even audiophile by today's standards). Geez, my Klipsch KLF-C7 center channel speaker weighing in at 38 pounds and 27"x11"x9" is larger than many floor standing tower speakers, and has two 8" bass drivers, and a 6"X9" Tractrix horn tweeter, and cost by itself $599 back in the end of the 90s. Judging from that alone, I guess you can tell I like BIG sound.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    I don't think it's an Audiophile's next purchase, but the reviews are not bad.
    Check it out
    LG LAB540 SoundPlate review Blu-ray players Reviews TechRadar

• Like Like x 1
  7. gbsa

gbsa Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I got to see 2 of my grandkids that I haven't seen in years. Spent the holiday with my still very healthy mom, knock on wood. Got to see my son break down and cry from sheer joy he finally got custody of his little girl. Oh and a food processor that I needed and a wallet my mother made for me, plus various gift cards. But honestly seeing those kids and my mom were the best gifts.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,107
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Those are the best kind of gifts. Sounds awesome!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,107
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    One of the things I bought as a gift for the family was a new Chromecast. Figured I would give it a try. Got two months of Hulu free and two free movies from Google Play. We watched one of the free movies last night using the Chromecast and we were all impressed with the sound & picture quality. The kids thought it was cool to watch a movie from my phone on the big TV! Cool device and fun family time together!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  10. gbsa

gbsa Member

Ratings:
    +45
    It really is a holiday to remember one of the best in years

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Good to know! The little guy (my 5-year-old stepson) got some Kinect games for the Xbox 360. I pushed them towards that one instead of the One, because I haven't fired up the 360 since I got the One. Anyway, the 360 will be moving out of the man cave and into the main family room very soon and I'll be left with an open HDMI port on my TV, which technically has the Logitech Revu box attached between the 360 and the TV, but that thing hasn't seen much use either since the One allows me to control the cable box DVR by voice.

As for my Christmas, I don't ask for ANYTHING, so I got much more than I wanted. Got some new clothes, which is always welcome, since I rarely spend money on those myself. We also got some board/card games which will come in handy if we ever become more social again. Haha!

Other than that, money. Her family is very generous and apparently Grandma gets more so when you become a bigger part of the family. She gave me just a little the first year we were together, more the next year, and now that we're engaged, she gave me more than I deserve. Ha! I can't say that it's going to be used for anything other than bills, but I've got about 6 months left on my car payments, so we're gonna pool the bulk of the money we got to get that closer to done so we can have an extra $250/month for other bills.

All-in-all, a great Christmas. Really makes it easier being 1,000 miles away from my family having hers here. They've really taken me in and we always have a good time spending Holidays and birthdays with them.

• Like Like x 2
  12. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,723
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    • Like Like x 1