So What Did You Get?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
159832863.jpg

Christmas, a time to give and a time to receive. Two days have past and some of us are cleaning and wiping our old devices. Looking for the original box and accessories so we can get it listed on eBay.

So, What Did You Get?

For me, it's a new LG Sound Plate to go with my LG UHD TV. Unfortunately, its still in the box as I haven't had the time to install it, but expect to do so in the next day or two. I'll get back to you.

tout-watts.png

What did you get? Time for Show & Tell.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So, What Did You Get?

For me, it's a new LG Sound Plate to go with my LG UHD TV. Unfortunately, its still in the box as I haven't had the time to install it, but expect to do so in the next day or two. I'll get back to you.

tout-watts.png

So, I was perplexed at what a "sound plate" was, so Google is my friend. Very interesting. it's a 4.1 speaker system in that thin profile component, designed to sit UNDER the TV/Monitor, and provide surround sound with a built-in subwoofer, all in a very compact package. I wouldn't normally have much faith in sound reproduction of such a small component, with such small drivers, however mini-driver speaker systems and portable Bluetooth speakers technology has come so incredibly far that we're getting quite a dynamic sound from amazingly small packages.

I'd be real interested in your take on the sound quality, Jeffery... I would probably be a terrible critic of one of these, because I'd be comparing it against vintage audiophile equipment I run for my main sound system, that is well above ten thousand dollars in collective cost (and that's not even audiophile by today's standards). Geez, my Klipsch KLF-C7 center channel speaker weighing in at 38 pounds and 27"x11"x9" is larger than many floor standing tower speakers, and has two 8" bass drivers, and a 6"X9" Tractrix horn tweeter, and cost by itself $599 back in the end of the 90s. Judging from that alone, I guess you can tell I like BIG sound.
308libo.jpg

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So, I was perplexed at what a "sound plate" was, so Google is my friend. Very interesting. it's a 4.1 speaker system in that thin profile component, designed to sit UNDER the TV/Monitor, and provide surround sound with a built-in subwoofer, all in a very compact package. I wouldn't normally have much faith in sound reproduction of such a small component, with such small drivers, however mini-driver speaker systems and portable Bluetooth speakers technology has come so incredibly far that we're getting quite a dynamic sound from amazingly small packages.

I'd be real interested in your take on the sound quality, Jeffery... I would probably be a terrible critic of one of these, because I'd be comparing it against vintage audiophile equipment I run for my main sound system, that is well above ten thousand dollars in collective cost (and that's not even audiophile by today's standards). Geez, my Klipsch KLF-C7 center channel speaker weighing in at 38 pounds and 27"x11"x9" is larger than many floor standing tower speakers, and has two 8" bass drivers, and a 6"X9" Tractrix horn tweeter, and cost by itself $599 back in the end of the 90s. Judging from that alone, I guess you can tell I like BIG sound.
308libo.jpg
I don't think it's an Audiophile's next purchase, but the reviews are not bad.
Check it out
LG LAB540 SoundPlate review Blu-ray players Reviews TechRadar

gbsa

Reaction score
I got to see 2 of my grandkids that I haven't seen in years. Spent the holiday with my still very healthy mom, knock on wood. Got to see my son break down and cry from sheer joy he finally got custody of his little girl. Oh and a food processor that I needed and a wallet my mother made for me, plus various gift cards. But honestly seeing those kids and my mom were the best gifts.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I got to see 2 of my grandkids that I haven't seen in years. Spent the holiday with my still very healthy mom, knock on wood. Got to see my son break down and cry from sheer joy he finally got custody of his little girl. Oh and a food processor that I needed and a wallet my mother made for me, plus various gift cards. But honestly seeing those kids and my mom were the best gifts.
Those are the best kind of gifts. Sounds awesome!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
One of the things I bought as a gift for the family was a new Chromecast. Figured I would give it a try. Got two months of Hulu free and two free movies from Google Play. We watched one of the free movies last night using the Chromecast and we were all impressed with the sound & picture quality. The kids thought it was cool to watch a movie from my phone on the big TV! Cool device and fun family time together!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
One of the things I bought as a gift for the family was a new Chromecast. Figured I would give it a try. Got two months of Hulu free and two free movies from Google Play. We watched one of the free movies last night using the Chromecast and we were all impressed with the sound & picture quality. The kids thought it was cool to watch a movie from my phone on the big TV! Cool device and fun family time together!

Good to know! The little guy (my 5-year-old stepson) got some Kinect games for the Xbox 360. I pushed them towards that one instead of the One, because I haven't fired up the 360 since I got the One. Anyway, the 360 will be moving out of the man cave and into the main family room very soon and I'll be left with an open HDMI port on my TV, which technically has the Logitech Revu box attached between the 360 and the TV, but that thing hasn't seen much use either since the One allows me to control the cable box DVR by voice.

As for my Christmas, I don't ask for ANYTHING, so I got much more than I wanted. Got some new clothes, which is always welcome, since I rarely spend money on those myself. We also got some board/card games which will come in handy if we ever become more social again. Haha!

Other than that, money. Her family is very generous and apparently Grandma gets more so when you become a bigger part of the family. She gave me just a little the first year we were together, more the next year, and now that we're engaged, she gave me more than I deserve. Ha! I can't say that it's going to be used for anything other than bills, but I've got about 6 months left on my car payments, so we're gonna pool the bulk of the money we got to get that closer to done so we can have an extra $250/month for other bills.

All-in-all, a great Christmas. Really makes it easier being 1,000 miles away from my family having hers here. They've really taken me in and we always have a good time spending Holidays and birthdays with them.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wife got perfume, daughter got too much crap to list since her bday was on 20th, Christmas 25th and new years is still coming up(new years in ussr was equivalent to Christmas in USA gifts wise). I gave myself a gift in form of LG 65" led tv for $700 which replaced our 50" panasonic plasma in living room.

Now that Jeff posted that sound plate, I'm curious if our new TV would be compatible with it. Time to Google!

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Wife got perfume, daughter got too much crap to list since her bday was on 20th, Christmas 25th and new years is still coming up(new years in ussr was equivalent to Christmas in USA gifts wise). I gave myself a gift in form of LG 65" led tv for $700 which replaced our 50" panasonic plasma in living room.

Now that Jeff posted that sound plate, I'm curious if our new TV would be compatible with it. Time to Google!
65" very nice.. The Soundplate is compatible. Just a simple HDMI cable and your good to go.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I got the Samsung Gear Circle. The sound quality has shocked me.

The only thing I am fighting with it now is pairing it to my bootcamped Windows partition. Apparently something broke the Bluetooth on a lot of people's MBPros. I was hoping to use it with my Steam account. It works great in OSX.