So we've heard the radio issues on Verizon network....

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's my reading for today. I dropped data for only a few brief moments this am but was easily able to manipulate data back with Widgetsoid. EVDO seeing is proving to be the ticket. View attachment 48702View attachment 48703

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Id go crazy if my data speeds were so low lol, I'm just on a d1 but I get anywhere from 1000 (when I have bad signal) to 2000+ (highest is 2650)... hopefully my nexus wont be that bad (no 4g here just yet) then again I think I'm in a good coverage area

skruid

Reaction score
This is my speed test for the day

HowardZ

Reaction score
hi

I have a Verizon upgrade to use.
I currently use a droidX with cm9/gummy.

One thought was to buy a refurbished Bionic for $50. almost like getting a free phone?

Another thought was to buy the Galaxy Nexus for $300 which I hear is the best choice for root/from/etc

Reading here about 4g phones not performing well in a 3g area makes me think about the HTC rezound for $200

How do you think the rezound compares to the galaxy nexus?

Howard

Last edited:

52brandon

Reaction score
Id go crazy if my data speeds were so low lol, I'm just on a d1 but I get anywhere from 1000 (when I have bad signal) to 2000+ (highest is 2650)... hopefully my nexus wont be that bad (no 4g here just yet) then again I think I'm in a good coverage area
lol, I was one of the lucky few that got their 3G bottlenecked when the iPhone first came to VZW. My 3G speeds got as bad as like 270, consistently. Thank God for 4G now

FrankAwesome

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue. I live in a 3G Extended Network area. Data on Droid X worked fine. Got Galaxy Nexus knowing I wouldn't have 4G (3G has been perfect for me). I was out of town when I got it in a Verizon Network. Drove home and...well...no data on Galaxy Nexus. Told Verizon tier 2, and they said it was a "known issue". I've flashed all radios and combinations and nothing has worked yet.

JavaBeans

Reaction score
hi

I have a Verizon upgrade to use.
I currently use a droidX with cm9/gummy.

One thought was to buy a refurbished Bionic for $50. almost like getting a free phone?

Another thought was to buy the Galaxy Nexus for $300 which I hear is the best choice for root/from/etc

Reading here about 4g phones not performing well in a 3g area makes me think about the HTC rezound for $200

How do you think the rezound compares to the galaxy nexus?

Howard

I've had all three phones. The Bionic, I wouldn't take that phone back if they gave it to me. All kinds of network issues. My girlfriend has the Rezound, it's a GREAT phone, she does have some network issues sometimes, not near as bad as the bionic or RAZR. my son uses a RAZR in a pure 3g area ( IMO the Bionic and RAZR aren't much different under the hood) I have him set to CDMA only and he has no network issues. On my GF's Rezound, I set her to CDMA only after I got tired of hearing her complain and it seems to work fine. I have the Nexus and have no problems at all.

If I were you I'd consider the Rezound if you want to save some money, i believe it's $50 right now from Verizon or Amazon. If you don't mind spending the money get the Nexus, it's an awesome phone with a great development community behind it. Like I said my Girlfriend has the Rezound, she is pretty tech savvy, and she is very jealous of my Nexus.

Another note on the Rezound, I put her on CleanRom and she doesnt have the handoff issues anymore. Also it's supposed to be getting the 4.0.3 update at the end of this week which should fix most of the handoff issues. Not that I'm trying to talk you into the Rezound, IMO the Nexus is much better. I've had less complaints with Samsung phones than any others.

Last edited:

jabkissmya

Reaction score
5th replacement

I never had data problems per say. My first nexus was a launch day phone. Worked great, the only complaint I had Is traveling between 4g zones the phone would not reconnect to 4g while using data. I had to stop using data in order to get 4g again. But anyways a month ago that phone took a bath (don't ask) and ordered a replacement through asurion. The next 4 phones all had identicle problems, it wasn't just a data loss, it was full signal loss. Not even a phone call could be made in a full coverage area. These signal losses would last up to 40 seconds and I ran into issues with asurion who couldn't believe all these bnib devices were bad out of the box, until Verizon done a trouble ticket showing I dropped 7 calls in 1 day. Verizon called it hardware failure, citing phones had issues with the 4g antenna. And funny enough, if I kept the phone in cdma only mode it would function. But I did buy a 4g phone to use 3g. So asurion shipped me replacement #5, so far so good, no dropped calls yet (bout a week into device). The crazy thing was both Verizon and asurion told me that there were no known issue with data and voice loss, only 4g data loss. But I have seen several other posts of similar complaints. Either way with 4 bad phones in a row, Samsung better start getting their stuff right or this will be the last samsung I buy!

HowardZ

Reaction score
I've had all three phones. The Bionic, I wouldn't take that phone back if they gave it to me. All kinds of network issues. My girlfriend has the Rezound, it's a GREAT phone, she does have some network issues sometimes, not near as bad as the bionic or RAZR. my son uses a RAZR in a pure 3g area ( IMO the Bionic and RAZR aren't much different under the hood) I have him set to CDMA only and he has no network issues. On my GF's Rezound, I set her to CDMA only after I got tired of hearing her complain and it seems to work fine. I have the Nexus and have no problems at all.

If I were you I'd consider the Rezound if you want to save some money, i believe it's $50 right now from Verizon or Amazon. If you don't mind spending the money get the Nexus, it's an awesome phone with a great development community behind it. Like I said my Girlfriend has the Rezound, she is pretty tech savvy, and she is very jealous of my Nexus.

Another note on the Rezound, I put her on CleanRom and she doesnt have the handoff issues anymore. Also it's supposed to be getting the 4.0.3 update at the end of this week which should fix most of the handoff issues. Not that I'm trying to talk you into the Rezound, IMO the Nexus is much better. I've had less complaints with Samsung phones than any others.

Thanks JavaBeans,

Btw, I am pretty good with Java/Netbeans (assuming that's what your nickname came from).

This thread got me interested in the Rezound rather than the Galaxy Nexus. After all, how reliably well a phone functions is the most important aspect. That's why I've been using Verizon for years. The one week $50 deal helped make the final decision.

The Rezound seems to work well. I've unlocked the bootloader, changed the recovery to be clockworkmod, made anandroid backup, tried RA recovery (seems better than clockworks) - rooted it, made another nandroid backup. Using Titanium Backup I froze the updater to prevent OTA updates. Now I am waiting for the Son/off exploit to be released.

In the Washington DC subway there is no 4G. 3G works well at most underground stations, but is very spotty while in the tunnels between stations, so 3G comes and goes along with basic phone service in the tunnels. At work I have a very strong 4G signal which works well.

I have written the washdcsubway app to display many subway stations' rail prediction data at once. I think it is the only app that allows scrolling through many stations' information at once.

I can not find any setting for eHRDP on/off.

How can I write an APP to read and change eHRDP along with 4G/cdma?

Howard

P.S. The ICS update was leaked, but never released. Some say the new radio firmware uses too much battery. I read it isn't simple to back out the ICS update, so I am waiting at this point. I do miss the Gummy ROM (on Droid-X), but I find HTC's sense is very nice. HTC customized alot in GB. Even typing with the onscreen keyboard is easier with the HTC sense.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can not find any setting for eHRDP on/off.

• Dial ##778#, call
  • edit mode
  • password is 000000
  • modem settings
  • Rev. A
  • select "enable"
  • menu > commit
  • phone will reboot and eHRPD will be "disabled"

OP
D

Disention

Reaction score
Hey guys, been waiting a while to re-post on my radios issues after some long term testing. Unfortunately, i'm yet plagued with the same issues. Dropping data out of no where. I've tested the waters on different ROM. BAMF, codename, AOKP, CM9 project, all the same end results... Sorry guys, still testing... Anyone has good success, please post results and what you did to accomplish your results and failures alike. Things which haven't helped are sometimes just as important.

OP
D

Disention

Reaction score
One thing to note which I really struggle to understand is my first few days they seem to really adjust well. When the ROM itself settles in and stabilizes... My radios seem to destabilize...

OP
D

Disention

Reaction score
How would one shut off the eHRPD on the nexus? I've found everyone saying this can't be done...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It can only be done on HTC's LTE chipsets - so the Rezound and Thunderbolt. They're also the only chipsets that allow SVDO (simultaneous voice/data) over 3G.

OP
D

Disention

Reaction score
Ok, so I've got this method which has been working well the last few days. As always, will need more time to test properly. I've been doing some experimenting with installing radios via CWM vs. wugs toolkit 1.3 or the 5.6 by Skippen (either or is fine) to flash the images. I've been trying everything. The method which has worked the best may seem strange but roll with me once here... First I wipe cache then Dalvik cache. I next connect my Nexus to pc and start up the toolkit once reloaded. Now I flash radios individually by image (many say this is the best and most stable way) I have been using 4.0.4 full radios however have played with hybrids and it's been working same way. I'll first flash the CDMA image, next LTE.
Each time I reboot after I've now bricked my radios completely. I will then go into widgetsoid version 3.4.1. (those with CNA can go into development testing tools under settings near the bottom and it is virtually the same thing) Almost forgot... Widgetsoid needs to be added to system Apps in order to truly function properly. I use a simple free app called Apps2ROM. Or for those who want to work harder can do this over ADB. With the radios bricked the radios will show as "unknown". Even if you switch them it will go right back to unknown. I will post some screen shots (after I post this quick). I switch radio to EVDO only and now boot into CWM. I once again wipe cache and Dalvik just to be safe and I use CWM to flash the full zip of 4.0.4. Radios... I also run fix permissions. (don't know if necessary, just always run this way) When I boot again into operations mode. I've been connected to 3G perfectly since. Even when bouncing on and off of WIFI. Time will tell if it hold stable. I'll report and post findings. Keeping fingers crossed as always... I can't tell you how many experiments I've run with radios this far... Really hoping!