So we lose swype on 4.4?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The stock camera app still saves pics to the SD Card.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

The way I understand the change is that an app can read & write to a folder it created and "owns" on the SD Card, but no others. So the stock camera app can read & write to the DCIM/Camera folder since it created that folder. A 3rd party camera might be able to see and read those pics but would not have permission to write new pics yo that folder. If a 3rd party app creates its own SD Card folder, it can read & write to it, but all files will be deleted when the app is uninstalled. That's how I understand the changes...hope that's at least partially correct. I know that all 4 RAZR's in my house are saving new pics to the SD Card still with KK, using the stock camera app.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
the paid version of swype is a little different. I paid for it a while ago because i wanted some feature or another (can't even remember why now). The big thing on the paid version i hate is the dragon Voice to txt vs google (sucks) and the lack of navigation arrows on the main keyboard. That said i've been using the paid version over the pre-installed when i had the choice.

Go into keyboard settings. As far as Swype is concerned, you have two choices: Swype and Swype/Dragon. Select the Swype only option and you should have Swype and the Google voice to text combination.

OP
N

niXerKG

Reaction score
UGH.

I bought Swype and everything was fine until I noticed they removed the USEFUL Return Key with a useless stupid smiley key.

splat10

Reaction score
Don't see any problem with my Swype???

huqetyma.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't see any problem with my Swype???

I see that you don't have arrows which I also preferred. The late that you commented on and that I responded to was the Dragon text to voice versus the Google voice to text app. I set it up in the keyboard default so I have the Swype keyboard and Google voice to text.

If you are talking about anything else, I do not understand what you are trying to say.

splat10

Reaction score
The arrows and Google voice to text features were on the stock Swype to the phone and are not features of the purchased version unfortunately. I liked both of those features also but on kit Kat that version is gone and not available, as is the point of the thread and saying you can get Swype in Google play but it's different as mentioned above.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have Kit Kat and I have the purchased Swype app. I set it up so I have Swype and the Google voice to text. You mentioned it and I was trying to let you know that you can at least have the Google part back.

splat10

Reaction score
Hmm guess I'm not seeing how to do that in settings, unless you are saying to manually pick voice from the notification bar, which I can do

OP
N

niXerKG

Reaction score
I see that you don't have arrows which I also preferred. The late that you commented on and that I responded to was the Dragon text to voice versus the Google voice to text app. I set it up in the keyboard default so I have the Swype keyboard and Google voice to text.

If you are talking about anything else, I do not understand what you are trying to say.

The arrows? Like when you use the swype icon to +!=

splat10

Reaction score
I mean in texting, in emails they have it in texting it's a stupid smiley key.

I guess it depends on your app. I use message+ from Verizon and it has the enter key.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
The arrows? Like when you use the swype icon to +!=

In the Motorola stock version, the arrow keys were above the top row of letters. You didn't have to go another menu. I am now used to using the +!= way but liked when I had the arrows handy.