So, VZW is sending me a new Droid

pittsgutta

Reaction score
because of all of the issues that I have had. When I get my new phone in the mail do I have to take my phone up there to get them to switch the phones over or can i do that myself? If I dont have to go up there then how do i transfer my service and get my contacts switched over? I just hate going up there because they are real rude.

masterxchief

Reaction score
You should be able to activate the new phone from verizon's site through your account. Your contacts will transfer once you login with your gmail account.

pjo1966

Reaction score
What about all the data, apps, preferences, etc... ?

I may need a replacement phone as well. The glass on mine looks foggy on the inside.

masterxchief

Reaction score
Everything should transfer except free apparently I think. So just make a list of your apparently before switching phones.

pjo1966

Reaction score
Everything should transfer except free apparently I think. So just make a list of your apparently before switching phones.

About 99% of my apps are free. :-|

And what's with the Droid autocorrecting the word apps? Usually I get Apple if I type apps.

droider4life

Reaction score
You can back up your apps with "Astro" onto your sd card if you want.. Also "my backup pro" saved texts, preferences, contacts, apps and you have the option to save all this to your sd card also.

Last edited:

StouticusMaximus

Reaction score
All your apps are linked to your gmail account. When I first got my phone it was freezing up so I put it back to factory default and all the apps started to download by themselves when I restarted the phone and put my gmail account back into the phone.

masterxchief

Reaction score
Oops I didn't notice. The free apps thing I'm not totally sure about because some people say free apps come back and others say only paid apps. Can some one confirm?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They all come back

When I did a wipe they didn't all come back. Only my paid apps which I had to retrieve from the downloads in the Market.

What difference would it make between a wipe and a new phone?

OP, I hope I'm wrong and you get your apps back. But if you were having problems with your Droid it may very well have been the apps that caused the problem. I'd rather start out fresh and get the unpaid apps on an as needed basis.

StouticusMaximus

Reaction score
They all come back

When I did a wipe they didn't all come back. Only my paid apps which I had to retrieve from the downloads in the Market.

What difference would it make between a wipe and a new phone?

OP, I hope I'm wrong and you get your apps back. But if you were having problems with your Droid it may very well have been the apps that caused the problem. I'd rather start out fresh and get the unpaid apps on an as needed basis.

A wipe and a new phone is the same thing. Wiping the phone is like geting a new phone, you are starting from scratch. I got all of mine back when I did a wipe.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
They automatically come back when you log into your gmail account for the first time with all your apps.

I don't think this is guaranteed a number of people including myself never got our free app automatically re-downloaded upon receiving a new phone/wiping. They all showed up in the market but none of them re-downloaded. For this reason I recommend backing up with Astro if your unrooted or Titanium Backup if rooted (Titanium is a godsend for me since I tend to try out ROMs a lot).