So the droid is getting 2.1?

I

ikithme

This post has been moved to alldroid.org.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So is the Droid getting 2.1 or not?

Also does google drop the upgrades? Meaning when the phone checks for updates or when update notifications get pushed to the phone does google do that? Or is it Verizon meaning we will have to wait for Verizon to push the update out?

It appears to be 2.1, all kinds of indications now that it will be released in the next couple of days. Google handles the push.

korp

Reaction score
I got an email from here saying that ... :) .. but it makes sense because obviously 2.1 is completed since they are shipping Nexus phones with it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got an email from here saying that ... :) .. but it makes sense because obviously 2.1 is completed since they are shipping Nexus phones with it.

Now that email I got.

CKyle22

Reaction score
What will us rooted people do about that? Wait longer?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can anyone post a copy of the Verizon email that you received? Thanks

rp683

Reaction score
The email from droidforums.net:

It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon.

We've got a ton of information on the Nexus One at the following resources:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The email from droidforums.net:

It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon.

We've got a ton of information on the Nexus One at the following resources:

We all got that email, but what about this email from Verizon that someone spoke of?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What will us rooted people do about that? Wait longer?

What do you mean? You've already got it, correct?

My understanding is however that you will need to manually install each time there is an update. Now I'm not sure that's accurate but I have read that about rooted phones.