So the Apple watch is a flop....

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Yes, if I am interested in a competing product. I don't go "Oh their commercials are better and therefore I will buy their product over that one because the other has crappy ads." LOL

This is all based on Pere's assertion that Apple's ads are vastly superior to Google and other Android OEM's ads. Again, I think Pere spends WAY too much time on an Android site trumpeting how great Apphole is.
Personally, I think Pere is committed and does a great job. I agree, Apple does a better job with their ads.
You're entitled to your opinion, but let's not make it personal.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Apple does have better ads. They tell you what you can achieve with their products. Android ads are so far out there that you often don't even know what they are promoting.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Apple does have better ads. They tell you what you can achieve with their products. Android ads are so far out there that you often don't even know what they are promoting.
I see Apple ads as more emotionally-driven than showing off tech. It's usually what makes them good ads. IMO, the 'Be together, not the same' campaign brought that emotion to Google's ads.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I see Apple ads as more emotionally-driven than showing off tech. It's usually what makes them good ads. IMO, the 'Be together, not the same' campaign brought that emotion to Google's ads.

I totally agree. I still haven't figured out who Android's PR people are, but they seem to be clueless in regards to why people gravitate towards Android to begin with. If they played to the strengths of Android in their commercials they would draw more interest towards themselves.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
One of the main reasons Android succeeds is word of mouth and user reviews. You don't need clever emotional ads when your various tech friends and online reviews give you the real low down.
Be honest, how many of us have given tech advice to family and friends and have had them actually listen. I know I've personally "converted" a number of former iPhone fans and they couldn't be happier with their Android devices. My mother in law had (and loved) my wife's S3 sheer gave her when her Charge finally died. That was until her husband talked her into getting an iPhone 4S. She hates it with a passion after having used the S3 for 6 months prior. Of course we still have a few die hard iPhone fans on her side of the family, but they are the true "sheep" you hear so much about, and it's more of a status thing for them. They refuse to even try Android, and I quote,."its too complicated. I like how simple my iPhone is".
I've converted everyone on my side of the family, and friends. (Except for my parents, who are in their late 70s and are content with their 6 y/o Nokia flip phones) As well a most of the wife's friends.

THIS is why many companies, or types of tech, simply don't "require" clever ads. If it wasn't for advertising, Apple wouldn't be where they are today.
We've all seen those Superbowl commercial specials the morning before the big game ....to this day, Apple's 1984 commercial is still one of the most popular television commercials of all time. It's hard to imagine where Apple would be had that commercial never aired...though I have a pretty good idea....

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have a different line of thinking. Apple has taken so many features from Android that the general public doesn't know about that they would do well to promote them publicly before Apple takes all of it and bakes it into iOS.

Most people that I know that own Android phones have no clue what kind of functionality their phone has.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have a different line of thinking. Apple has taken so many features from Android that the general public doesn't know about that they would do well to promote them publicly before Apple takes all of it and bakes it into iOS.

Most people that I know that own Android phones have no clue what kind of functionality their phone has.
Exactly..you hear of apple pay...I hear that and say..Google had this out on Android phones years ago..

Nfc..ios just got this last year ..we had it in 2012 on the gnex. And the list goes on...I'm sorry to say..but after jobs passed...apple isn't innovative anymore ..

But we're all running into a dry spell, so to speak..I keep wondering what the next BIG thing will be..which direction will innovation go?? So I know what apple will have in 2 years...lmao...I mean..um..

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Actually NFC was on android since nexus S in 2010.

Wasn't utilized until android 4.0 os across and on 2.3 it was used mostly on Google wallet.
Exactly..you hear of apple pay...I hear that and say..Google had this out on Android phones years ago..

Nfc..ios just got this last year ..we had it in 2012 on the gnex. And the list goes on...I'm sorry to say..but after jobs passed...apple isn't innovative anymore ..

But we're all running into a dry spell, so to speak..I keep wondering what the next BIG thing will be..which direction will innovation go?? So I know what apple will have in 2 years...lmao...I mean..um..

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When did Android based aftermarket keyboards start being available? I know I was using them on my Omnia (WM) in 08, went Android in 09 ,with an Inc, and a keyboard was one of my first installs. No secondary characters on Apple's keyboard on my iPad was a horrendous experience for me. Though my watch does have slider and next word capability, that has learned my habits and style, its Samsung keyboard does not have secondary characters and it's been a tough acclimation that without sliding capability I don't think I'd have been able to stomach.
Anyone who has never used an Apple Watch or Gear Fit synced to their parent device will not understand my definition of standalone so I won't get into how AW and Tizen totally blow away the Fit and Aw in that regard . You'd have to use one to see what the true definition of phone butler is, that AW and Tizen os ones aren't.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Personally I think people expect too much.... I mean seriously, what more could you possibly want your device to do? As @Ollie pointed out, most folks don't utilize , or even know how to use half the features they already have.
The fact of the matter is, just as the pc world came to a standstill, (or stalemate if you will) such is the case with smartphones.

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Personally I think people expect too much.... I mean seriously, what more could you possibly want your device to do? As @Ollie pointed out, most folks don't utilize , or even know how to use half the features they already have.
The fact of the matter is, just as the pc world came to a standstill, (or stalemate if you will) such is the case with smartphones.

S5 tap'n
I guess it all depends... We have devices that do a whole lot of little things...wave your hand over, and tomahawk chop for this and twist for that...

I mean more real world utilization..like smart thermostats... Other than watching Netflix ..now you can get tacos and pizzas ordered..but I mean more than that...if I knew what the next wow thing was..I'd patent it..but right now our phones are social interfaces ..people go to bars to use their smart phone....ugh .

Reactions: cr6

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Actually NFC was on android since nexus S in 2010.

Wasn't utilized until android 4.0 os across and on 2.3 it was used mostly on Google wallet.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
..it wasn't widely seen until 2012..why??? Because it wasn't completely patented until 2011 through what was at the time...similar to a "go fund me"...

And you're wrong...it was used only for tag reading apps..it wasn't until sometime later that the tap n go or Google wallet feature was enabled...due to patent and funding...on the design end..and due to availability or lack there of..of the tech.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
For example:

Ten minutes ago I showed a coworker that the gear icon on the volume slider:
Screenshot_2015-08-08-23-07-08.png

...opens up his sound settings without having to enter the actual Settings app all the time:
Screenshot_2015-08-08-23-07-20.png

It literally blew his mind.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
..it wasn't widely seen until 2012..why??? Because it wasn't completely patented until 2011 through what was at the time...similar to a "go fund me"...

And you're wrong...it was used only for tag reading apps..it wasn't until sometime later that the tap n go or Google wallet feature was enabled...due to patent and funding...on the design end..and due to availability or lack there of..of the tech.
Yeah because android 4.0 Os was slowly adopted by late June of 2012 on android devices. That did receive it ota on 2011 phones that received it and manufacturer advertised it by middle of 2012 on their ads.

Galaxy nexus was only phone that had NFC in 2011 with expection of galaxy s2 and nexus s.

Motorola adopted to it on droid RAZR but for some reason didn't turn on the chip and RAZR m and RAZR HD/maxx HD got NFC in 2012 . Along with others manufacturer across the board on high end device that year.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Gramesmith

Reaction score
Personally I don't like Apple watch, they are too much expensive. in terms of innovation they never innovate. They could of done something much better, I am now waiting on Blocks who are creating the worlds first modular smartwatch....now that is something innovative.