Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Eh, the overall point is that marketing works because people don't know any better. Take "Cheerios reduces cholesterol!" So people go out and start eating Cheerios three times a day, and then are shocked when they become diabetic. "But the commercial said it was good for me!"

I could go on. Ads purposely mislead. No one I know with an isuckPhone used Siri the way the people on the commercial did. (The classic, demos well, but no practical application.) Yet people saw it and thought "the phone talks back to me!!"

Maybe it isn't intelligence as much as it is educating yourself about the truth.
While I get what you're saying (suing McDonald's because the scalding coffee burned them kinda folks), I think you're over-generalizing. Of course, I don't think like most of the "average consumer" base, so maybe I'm looking at it from a skewed perspective as well.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I get what you're saying (suing McDonald's because the scalding coffee burned them kinda folks), I think you're over-generalizing. Of course, I don't think like most of the "average consumer" base, so maybe I'm looking at it from a skewed perspective as well.

Maybe, but Pere's assumption seemed to be that marketing trumped all else, therefore I ran with it. :p

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Marketing works because this is how people find out about your product. Outmarket the competition and you win. It doesn't mean people are sheep.

The iPod is a perfect example. Ever hear of the Rio Karma? That thing had features on it that to this day NO program\app\device can touch. It was far and away the best MP3 player on the market.
Ever see a commercial? Only the hardcore enthusiasts even knew about that product. The regular Joe's that just want to stop carrying cassettes? the iPod was good enough.
How about a commercial for the Creative Zen?
Nope.
But the iPod came out and not only rocketed to #1, it put some of these companies out of the MP3 business within 2 years. Why? Advertising... GOOD advertising.

Again, re: HTC. Have you seen any commercial or mainstream press lately from them? Nothing. And they continue to sink. So Joe Blow walks into Verizon... "hmmm. HTC? Looks like a nice phone, but I've never even heard of them!"

Yea, I DVR everything, but I also watch local news. Sports. Occasionally local news. I don't DVR those kinds of things. So yea, I see some commercials. And even with DVR'ing, if I see an Apple or Android commercial while fast forwarding I might stop and watch because I like to keep up on what these companies are doing.

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Marketing works because this is how people find out about your product. Outmarket the competition and you win. It doesn't mean people are sheep.

The iPod is a perfect example. Ever hear of the Rio Karma? That thing had features on it that to this day NO program\app\device can touch. It was far and away the best MP3 player on the market.
Ever see a commercial? Only the hardcore enthusiasts even knew about that product. The regular Jos that just wants to stop carrying cassettes? the iPod was good enough.
Nope.
But the iPod came out and not only rocketed to #1, it put some of these companies out of the MP3 business within 2 years. Why? Advertising... GOOD advertising.

Again, re: HTC. Have you seen any commercial or mainstream press lately from them? Nothing. And they continue to sink. So Joe Blow walks into Verizon... "hmmm. HTC? Looks like a nice phone, but I've never even heard of them!"

Yea, I DVR everything, but I also watch local news. Sports. Occasionally local news. I don't DVR those kinds of things. So yea, I see some commercials. And even with DVR'ing, if I see an Apple or Android commercial while fast forwarding I might stop and watch because I like to keep up on what these companies are doing.

Again, anyone that walks into a Verizon store and buys a smartphone because of a nice commercial is an idiot. You didn't say in your original post on this that it was a "see a commercial thing" it was that Apple's ads were SOOOO much better than Google's, blah blah blah.

So again, marketing works because people are either dumb, or too lazy to really research the products.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
If people don't know about your product because you don't advertise -OR- advertise poorly, you aren't going to get people INTERESTED enough to put effort into researching your product. Google makes a crappy commercial for a watch that sparks no interest in me, why am I going to spend effort looking into that?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
If people don't know about your product because you don't advertise -OR- advertise poorly, you aren't going to get people INTERESTED enough to put effort into researching your product. Google makes a crappy commercial for a watch that sparks no interest in me, why am I going to spend effort looking into that?

You're not, if you're lazy.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, are you saying you put time and effort into learning about a product that you have no interest in? That sounds very boring...Haha

Yes, if I am interested in a competing product. I don't go "Oh their commercials are better and therefore I will buy their product over that one because the other has crappy ads." LOL

This is all based on Pere's assertion that Apple's ads are vastly superior to Google and other Android OEM's ads. Again, I think Pere spends WAY too much time on an Android site trumpeting how great Apphole is.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think you're missing the point completely. If I only saw the Android Wear ad with the kids dancing and then I saw the iWatch ad with people actually using the device, I'd be more inclined to find out more about the one that actually showed me something cool it could do. That is, if I didn't feel similarly about Apple products as you do. So, if I was just a consumer who knew no difference between apple and google products except what I see and hear in ads like that and maybe the occasional friend that knows a little more about tech than I do, I'd be more inclined to think that the one that's useful is more worth my money than the one that apparently sparks dance parties, but doesn't seem to have any real features other than telling time.

I'm also not sure where you get your opinion of Pere. Seems like you must not have run in to him elsewhere in the forum very often.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm trying to have a friendly discussion. I don't know how many more ways I can explain. But let's try ONE more.
Glad it's a slow day today at work today..

I've never heard of a "smart watch".
I see the Apple commercial for a Smart Watch. Wow, that looks kinda' cool.
Next day I see it again..... twice.
Next day one more time.
That day I also see the Android Watch commercial above. That commercial is so BAD I don't even KNOW that it's for an Android Smart Watch, they have one grainy short shot if it featuring a blurry watch face! The rest if the time it's eyeballs, or circles or... I don't even know what? Is it a watch? An electronic bracelet? Even at the end with the 8 watches that come in at the end THERE'S NO WATCH FACE... why would I even look into that?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been voted year after year as the best ever, or at least top 5 ever, for over a decade. Yet the original only showed once.
It's not just sheer number that causes thought or action but content as well, Apple winning at both with their watch

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Actually I love apple for there tablets and Phones. Motorola #1 but apple is #2 in my books. I dislike Lg ripoff of samsung alot. Samsung for copying every single manufactures.. Yuck!! Their OLED is the only thing that make them great. Camera not so much. Lg make better camera since lg g3 which i own for 2 month got rid of that along with moto x 2nd gen. I didnt like s5 camera and the s6 probably is nice. But, let see what motorola look before buying into them.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is all based on Pere's assertion that Apple's ads are vastly superior to Google and other Android OEM's ads. Again, I think Pere spends WAY too much time on an Android site trumpeting how great Apphole is.
I'm also not sure where you get your opinion of Pere. Seems like you must not have run in to him elsewhere in the forum very often.

I second @Jonny Kansas in that statement. PereDroid is not an Apple fanboy IMHO. He is however a very objective and astute analyst. He has very good points on the multitude of his posts, and often sees things that others overlook which change the dynamic of the thread. That said, I also feel you are a strong contributor. Let's keep the comments about other members on a more diplomatic level and simply respect each other. If you disagree, do so, but please don't judge someone for their opinions.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Ever see a commercial? Only the hardcore enthusiasts even knew about that product. The regular Joe's that just want to stop carrying cassettes? the iPod was good enough.
Nope.

I definitely agree with the statements above. I had two Rio Karmas, best damn player ever. Yes, the iPod has a nice scroll wheel and that WAS an innovation, but the sound...EH. The Creative Zen was also another very high end player that didn't get its just deserts. And in the end, it was marketing and advertising that won out.

I coined the phrase...

"There are two kinds of people in the world... Those that know marketing and advertising work because they use it every day and they are successful... And those that know marketing and advertising work because they see the successful people around them using it every day".