So the Apple watch is a flop....

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have a lot of friends that have and have had iPhones. Some of them switched to Android and some of them left Android. I don't see the whole snobbery side at all. I think it is more along the lines of people trying to be with the "in" crowd. A herd mentality.

A prime example would be one of my sons. Depending on what is the hot item this year is what he wants to roll with. For a couple of years it was iPhones. In his circles it is now Android. So he went from an iPhone to the LG G3 and then to the Maxx.

Apple sells great products. Other than a few shortcomings to Android enthusiasts their phones work well and are designed well. What they are selling is a brand and their brand is hot right now. Eventually it will not be. That is how it always goes.

jacklance

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
i second to you, apple products are mainly sold out in Usa,
China and other countries used android as primarily device.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think it is more along the lines of people trying to be with the "in" crowd. A herd mentality.

I don't think it has anything to do with that and I think that's insulting.
A lot of people just don't know there is much of a difference. They just get what their brother, mother, sister, aunt, niece has. There's a million reasons people make the choices they make. Apple isn't "in" anymore. They haven't been "in" since the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive.
Likewise they aren't status symbols. That one drives me nuts. Someone on another forum I frequent says that all the time. When a 10 year old has an iPhone it's not a status symbol anymore.

A prime example would be one of my sons. Depending on what is the hot item this year is what he wants to roll with. For a couple of years it was iPhones. In his circles it is now Android. So he went from an iPhone to the LG G3 and then to the Maxx.

Just like kids have always done.

They just get what their brother, mother, sister, aunt, niece has.

Apple sells great products. Other than a few shortcomings to Android enthusiasts their phones work well and are designed well. What they are selling is a brand and their brand is hot right now. Eventually it will not be. That is how it always goes.

I wouldn't say they are hot. People aren't bleeding from Android to iOS. Apple makes money on phones from people upgrading which was why the 6 was such a monster hit. SO many people were tired of watching Androidians walking around with giant phones and they had these little bitty things. :D
They jumped on the giant 6 like crazy people.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't think it has anything to do with that and I think that's insulting.
A lot of people just don't know there is much of a difference. They just get what their brother, mother, sister, aunt, niece has. There's a million reasons people make the choices they make. Apple isn't "in" anymore. They haven't been "in" since the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive.
Likewise they aren't status symbols. That one drives me nuts. Someone on another forum I frequent says that all the time. When a 10 year old has an iPhone it's not a status symbol anymore.

Just like kids have always done.

I wouldn't say they are hot. People aren't bleeding from Android to iOS. Apple makes money on phones from people upgrading which was why the 6 was such a monster hit. SO many people were tired of watching Androidians walking around with giant phones and they had these little bitty things. :D
They jumped on the giant 6 like crazy people.

Thank you for making my point! :p

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you for making my point!
I was kinda like "he's making Ollies point exactly" but thought better than post that thought because I might be totally misunderstanding the post.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I was kinda like "he's making Ollies point exactly" but thought better than post that thought because I might be totally misunderstanding the post.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

I didn't say it to be offensive. It's just they way it is. I'm also not generalizing the entire public with that either. There are obviously a lot of people that do their own thing.

Apple is in. Any way that you look at it the iPhone/iPads/MBP/MBAir are extremely popular. The only reason they aren't number one is due to costs. They are expensive. Usually beyond the average person's means. And by average I mean globally...not just the U.S. where we have far better living conditions than most of the world.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
DIdn't mean you specifically were being offensive, just the general consensus that people who buy Apple are just brainless drones that buy anyhting with that logo on it.

And my comment about references from friends: I mean that people don't buy iPhones because it's "in". Like many products if you're in the market for something you may ask someone ":Hey, I want my first smartphone."
You should get an iPhone because... that's what I have and I like it.
Not "because everyone else is".

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
DIdn't mean you specifically were being offensive, just the general consensus that people who buy Apple are just brainless drones that buy anyhting with that logo on it.

And my comment about references from friends: I mean that people don't buy iPhones because it's "in". Like many products if you're in the market for something you may ask someone ":Hey, I want my first smartphone."
You should get an iPhone because... that's what I have and I like it.
Not "because everyone else is".
But you gotta admit there are those that still do it. North Face clothing comes to mind. Yoga pants. Pink . Anything with the word pink. I work at Toys R Us and this past year +, especially at Christmas, we could've put a Frozen decal on a dog turd and gotten $20 for it, not so much the kids going nuts but the parents. A regular Power Wheels Jeep this past holiday and tax seasons? $200 and I sold maybe 5. Frozen stickers on the same Jeep was $50 more and I sold as many as we could get in stock and many more direct to home deliveries.
Yes Apple is no longer a status only, and never was wholeheartedly just a status symbol but there are sheep that want what others have just because they have it and nothing more. My wife will NEVER admit it but her first smartphone was an iPhone because the older daughters have one. Since she has an iPad I steered her that direction because of familiarity and economics (paid apps over the years) but she wasn't interested in a smartphone at all until Tia and Victoria got them for themselves, Tia starting off on Android because her college compatriots had moved from iPhone ,while she was on my plan, to Android before moving back to iPhone a contract later. It got her off my plan so she could buy get own iPhone, which eventually freed to me leaving Verizon when my wife and Victoria both loved get iPhone but wanted to stay with Verizon.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ugh. This thread is still active? It had no business on this board anyway, should have been on the off-topic board.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
We should be able to, and in fact should want to, discuss the competition.

Let's face it people, the #1 reason Apple is where it is today isn't because it's "in", isn't because it's better, isn't for most of the reasons so far stated.

It's this: marketing. Plain and simple.

I was reminded of this while watching an Apple Watch commercial last night.

I'm sorry...that IS better then:

It's not even close. One shows people of all ages in different scenarios using their watches. The other shows a bunch of kids dancing and... and what? That tells me nothing about what it does.
And how many different Andriod Watch commercials have you seen on TV?
Just that one? And how many times have you seen it? 3? I don't think I've seen it on TV AT ALL. When's the last time you saw a Watch commercial? Last night?

Commercials for the iPhone, have you ever seen ONE that tries to tell you it's better then any Android phone? Nope. Every one else loves to show commercials telling you why the Galaxy or the Surface are better then an Apple product. Even though Samsungs best commercial:

it was a really done well commercial and it was around this time that Samsung was surging to be the #1 Android manufacturer. Coincidence? I think not.
Remember when HTC was huge? Remember those Incredible commercials? Of course, you do.
Remember any commercials beyond that model? Nope. Where is HTC now?
Remember this HTC commercial?
(I could only find the long version).

Your commercial touts this awesome feature of: being able to snap a pic WHILE shooting video. Raise your hand if you were someone clamoring for this feature?

Marketing, always has been and always will be: king.
Apples knows it. Samsung, I thought, grasped it for a minute there. Google seems clueless.

Last edited:
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
In Google's defense they did make one good commercial.

One....

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
You've obviously thought about this more than I have. I go out of my way to avoid watching commercials. I usually DVR a show, and starting watching 20 minutes in to fast-forward through the ads. Especially ads of companies I despise, like Apphole.

All that said, you are giving more fuel to the fire that Apple buyers are mindless sheep. "Ewwwww......pretty ad......must have....nom nom nom."

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Good commercial for the Nexus, love mine. Although the Nexus 9 didn't measure up...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
All that said, you are giving more fuel to the fire that Apple buyers are mindless sheep. "Ewwwww......pretty ad......must have....nom nom nom."
I don't find that to be the case at all. Even folks who aren't mindless sheep are going to go for the device that they've heard more about or have a better idea of going into the store.

The generalized commercials for the android products lack any real info/use case examples that would make me want one if I didn't already know. Whereas Apple's commercials show the device in action and you can think to yourself, "Oh. I get it. That feature seems useful."

I don't think it's a mindless vs. intelligent thing at all. I like to think that I'm not mindless and I tend to buck trends, but if I was making my initial decision based on those commercials that Pere shared, I'd at least feel like I knew something about the apple product(s) being advertised.

I also DVR most of my shows and try to avoid commercials, but sometimes one catches my eye and I'll rewind to see what it's about. If nothing else, I get a nice little chuckle. At most, I get a glimpse of something I might want to research and know more about.

People don't know how many of Apple's latest "new" features came from Android itself and its OEMs in the last few years. I use this example a lot, but I remember my Droid X had panorama assist on the camera. Over a year (maybe more) later, Apple was putting out commercials about their fancy new feature. So many "average consumers", not sheep, were so impressed with that ability after seeing those commercials. By that point, I'd moved on from the novelty of it for the most part.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't find that to be the case at all. Even folks who aren't mindless sheep are going to go for the device that they've heard more about or have a better idea of going into the store.

The generalized commercials for the android products lack any real info/use case examples that would make me want one if I didn't already know. Whereas Apple's commercials show the device in action and you can think to yourself, "Oh. I get it. That feature seems useful."

I don't think it's a mindless vs. intelligent thing at all. I like to think that I'm not mindless and I tend to buck trends, but if I was making my initial decision based on those commercials that Pere shared, I'd at least feel like I knew something about the apple product(s) being advertised.

I also DVR most of my shows and try to avoid commercials, but sometimes one catches my eye and I'll rewind to see what it's about. If nothing else, I get a nice little chuckle. At most, I get a glimpse of something I might want to research and know more about.

People don't know how many of Apple's latest "new" features came from Android itself and its OEMs in the last few years. I use this example a lot, but I remember my Droid X had panorama assist on the camera. Over a year (maybe more) later, Apple was putting out commercials about their fancy new feature. So many "average consumers", not sheep, were so impressed with that ability after seeing those commercials. By that point, I'd moved on from the novelty of it for the most part.

Eh, the overall point is that marketing works because people don't know any better. Take "Cheerios reduces cholesterol!" So people go out and start eating Cheerios three times a day, and then are shocked when they become diabetic. "But the commercial said it was good for me!"

I could go on. Ads purposely mislead. No one I know with an isuckPhone used Siri the way the people on the commercial did. (The classic, demos well, but no practical application.) Yet people saw it and thought "the phone talks back to me!!"

Maybe it isn't intelligence as much as it is educating yourself about the truth.