So really what is the difference?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I know big red makes us spend an extra 20 per month to be a hotspot, but honestly what is the difference between me streaming say pandora radio on my phone for the 12 hours I work or me tethering my phone to my laptop and doing the same thing? Also with netflix announcing that they expect to release an app for android next year what's the difference between watching on my phone or my computer tethered through my phone.

I would assume that both are pulling the same amount of data but one in on my table and the other is in the palm of my hand.

Can someone enlighten me?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

the5barrons

Reaction score
You're right. No real difference. MB is MB. All shows up the same on my bill...data. Tethered, wifi, 3g, wifi tethered....still data. This is why rooting and running at tether program is so attractive...just to avoid the ridiculous hot spot fee.

"what evrrrrr"

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Really? You need someone else to answer this for you?

The extra $$$ for the Hot Spot feature is to subsidize the data that will be transferred not by your phone alone, but by up to 5 other Internet capable devices that Verizon does not already have a service contract for. Streaming Pandora from your phone in your office is not the same as sharing your 3G connection with 3-5 other client devices, all sucking bandwidth at different rates...

While I dont agree with the pricing/tier plans of the Mobile Hot Spot feature, hence me not using it, I do understand why Verizon charges for it...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it's leftover from the days when phones really were much less capable than laptops.

OP
CD95YJ

CD95YJ

Reaction score
@bodybagz

See I am a bit parinoid when it comes to opening up my phone and when/if I tether it is password encripted. I get the 5 devices aspect, but for me to tether a laptop I see no difference. I also don't see it as beneficial to me to pay 20 buck to provide internet to just anyone, again another reason its encrypted. My question was about personal use and data.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

scf

Reaction score
My take on that is that the laptop will/can use far more bandwitch than just the phone itself. Think about how many sites automagically give you the mobile site when you access it thru the phone. Sites on the laptop use their normal site setup, even when tethered to the phone.

I do see why they want to charg the extra $$, but the phone can only handle so much data going thru it. Had mine tethered one day when our cable was out, and my sons used it for their two laptops. Was fine when the first one connected, speed was good. When the 2nd connected, it was sllooooowwww for both.