So quiet back here....

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well, since there is not much activity back here, thought I would post something.

I went ahead and pre-ordered two of these guys, $41 for two of them with free Prime shipping.

Fire TV Stick - Official Site - Shop Now

I have two of the Fire TVs and love them greatly. I rooted both of them and put XBMC on them, they are fantastic media devices.

There will be some performance loss with the stick I am sure, but I figured I can give one to my mom who just signed up for Amazon Prime, and then tinker with the other one.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Do you have a smart TV?

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah, Sony Bravia XBR 55 inch, from 2010 though.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I was curious as to what one of these would offer that a smart TV doesn't have. I've wondered about Chromecast and Apple TV as well.

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have 3 Chromecast devices as well, love those too! Smart TVs are okay, at least for me, the UI is terrible and slow. That could be because mine is 4+ years old now, but it was never a viable option for me.

I use Chromecast for watching YouTube videos and listening to Google Music and Pandora through the surround sound. I love the Fire TV because they can run XBMC, and run it very well. I have my FTP server hooked into XBMC with all my TV Show and Movie files on it. I don't have live TV, I just use this to watch what I want, commercial free.

The FireTV was a great way to watch Prime videos without having to use my PS4, which was my only device that supported it before. This way I get to save life on my PS4 along with all the other added benefits.

Apple TV will do more of the same as the Fire TV does, just at a greater cost with less performance. Not hating on Apple, they make good products, but they make you pay for that. I paid $84 for one Fire TV, and $64 for the other since Amazon had a coupon for Students Day.

Well worth either price, even at the full $99, they are cheaper, and better IMO, than the Apple TV.