So my Droid took a bath yesterday

donerico

Reaction score
As I was getting dressed I accidentally knocked it into a full bathtub.
Got it out of the water, got the battery out (the phone somehow turned on from contact with the water), dried it with a towel, put it in a bowl of rice and put it in the oven for a little while, then left it in the rice for the rest of the day (being Sunday I could not think of where to get anything more appropriate.)
Although I have insurance I did not want to get a refurbished phone, mine was working perfectly (especially with UD 8 and Chevy 1.1GHz kernel).
Yesterday I wondered if putting it in the oven was a bad idea because at one point the screen looked all blotched and discolored.
Anyway, I put the SD card and battery back on this morning and everything seems pretty much perfect except that you can hear a bit of a hissing sound on the speaker when playing music or youtube videos if you put your ear close to the speaker, would this be from the water or from the oven heat? if I had to do it again I probably woul;d not put it in the oven ;o
I don't imagine the speakers can be replaced in this thing?
The screen looks perfect and the battery lasted all day (still at 30%) even though it was at 90% when it fell in the water. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I think we are going to need pictures to prove this happened. If no pictures of you getting dressed, it did not happen.

Bob

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think we are going to need pictures to prove this happened. If no pictures of you getting dressed, it did not happen.

Bob

lol idk if that would be best for the forum..

OP
D

donerico

Reaction score

Bob

Trust me, you do not want to see that, I make the ugly feel pretty good about themselves ;)

kabal22

Reaction score
This just happened to my Droid this week too.
Water, not bathtub...

I did the rice trick for 2 days and no oven. Everything seems to be working fine, I will hold my breath that I won't have a corrosion issue. I dried the phone immediately and it went into rice right after that. Hopefully nothing is lingering around to corrode the connections.

I do not have insurance and the water damage indicator sticker is now tricked so I can't claim and defect under the factory warranty with VZW.