So many stupid apps running

OP
R

RonInNYC

Reaction score
Look I do understand. And it may be that the apps, if not accessed, to absolutely nothing. But when you say it runs the apps on the phone, that is not exactly correct. It only runs certain apps; not every app. And if you say that it runs the apps for the 75% of the users, that too doesn't make sense. Here's why:

Apps suddenly start up, like CityID, e.g. Not always running, just every now and then. Same with VZNavigator and others. These are subscription apps. But there are others, as well. If they're running so I won't lose my data, why not keep them running after I start them?

It just seems like a bizarre use of the OS. I get that it's nice to have data easily accessible, but only if I need to use it.

OP
R

RonInNYC

Reaction score
I meant to say, "keep them running only after I start them."

What is the purpose of everyone having Skype running? Or Stocks? Can't they just keep running if I use them? Is it THAT difficult to code?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
What is the purpose of everyone having Skype running? Or Stocks? Can't they just keep running if I use them? Is it THAT difficult to code?
There is no purpose because it's not doing anything if it's "running" in the background or not.

Quit looking at them : ) it's pointless. They are like birds flying over your house. They do absolutely nothing and don't effect your life in your house at all.

You're obsessing over something that is not even an issue. If they were gone you'd be in the same boat. Not ahead, behind or better off.

Walk away : ) it's nothing. I swear to you.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I meant to say, "keep them running only after I start them."

They won't be there after the phone gets a feel for which apps you normally use. They had to start with a group of apps until it figured out what you like, why not make it their bloatware in hopes of snagging new customers?

You really could have an incredible experience with that phone and this community, so please ask politely and take the advice of those who know.

Billybaldin

Reaction score
They want you to BUY vznavigator. They want to to BUY CityID. They want you to BUY tunes from Amazon. It's marketing. Why can't I buy a tv or pay for cable and not have commercials? What with magazines being 100 pages long because of 30 pages of ads? I paid for it. Why should I have to deal with ads. In the end it really is that simple. It's just advertising. Most people are smart enough NOT to use those things but there are plenty that either need them or think they do. Live the Ronco way. Set it and forget it..
Sent from my DROID.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Billy, if it really bothers you, root the phone, use Titanium Backup Pro to "freeze" the apps, and then live the Ronco mantra.

Billybaldin

Reaction score
Oh I have already done all I need to do to be where I like it on my phone. I was posting that to the OP who can't seem to figure out why all that stuff is on his phone. I was breakin it down for him.

Sent from my DROID.

DangerBillRobinson

Reaction score
I tried Task Killer for awhile but I keep seeing random ads popping up in strange places and the task killer does not always keep things killed, some of them just start back up again. I uninstalled it.

I typically wouldn't mind the unused apps running so long as they manage themselves to the point they will shut down if that really is what they do.

What bothers me is when an app can go out to the Internet at will and download updates or send your collected personal data out to the world, etc without even asking you. The Google Sky Map now pops an agreement up when you start it that includes sending your personal data to the Internet, that is the kind of thing I really don't like about the Droid and wish I had more control over. The only way I can think to do that is to kill the process to the app permanently, uninstall it or find a firewall that asks for my permission.

OP
R

RonInNYC

Reaction score
I am in agreement with you. While I accept what I've been told, that all these apps running doesn't cause any problem; that they unload as needed, it just bothers me a lot. I'm a developer and these apps running are entirely unnecessary. I think they are due to an agreement between VZW and some vendors; I can't think why someone would do this otherwise as it adds absolutely nothing to my use of the phone.

I know someone posted a link to a way to disable all these apps, but the complexity of it combined with my unfamiliarity of the OS makes me nervous about screwing around.

Hopefully, someone will post a real task killer, one that eliminates the apps and removes them from the phone.

While no one will bother, I think it's a winnable court case to remove the crap from the Droid. It is my phone, after all.