So many choices! Too many Roms...HELP!

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by kiyanofosho, Apr 2, 2010.

1. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

OK! so im stuck between a rooted ESE81 2.1 stick rom, UD v9, and cyanogen 5.0.5.4, i dont know which too choose. which do yall prefer?
  2. Manigma77

Manigma77 Member

Aren't you forgetting something, BB V.09 and 1.0 will be coming out soon. Very fast and stable rom.

The best advice I can give you is to try them all, I personally wouldn't do the 2.1 stock rooted, I am waiting for one of the master devs to come out with a ese81 with all the goodies included. All of the ese53 roms currently out allready have more than the 2.1 stock rooted one does (live wallpapers- even though I don't use them- performance freak) any way, I also like Ultimate Droid and both Ud and BB are available on the Rom Manager, couldn't be easier to install.
  3. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I can't find anything here to disagree with.

The only way you're going to find YOUR preferred ROM is to read reports of features and bugs, look for screenshots, and try them yourself. I prefer UD 9 because it is easy to upgrade and seems to be VERY stable. I have had only a single problem since it came out and I can't reproduce it. In fact, I think it was caused by under clocking.
  4. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

I'm the kinda guy that's likes the new stuff. That's why I just want a ese81 custom rom. But ill have to wait. But I'm also a performance freak so I did and short test. And my stock rooted came out on top. So ill stick with it for now untill my average 180ms is beaten
  5. bizfox

bizfox New Member

If you try UD9 with 1.25GHz OC, you'll be looking into short benches of about 155ms almost consistently. Now that's performance :)
  6. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

Wow! Ill wait for a ese81 build though
  7. bizfox

bizfox New Member

Yep, I'm sure that BlackDroid is working on an ese81 build now... one thing you'll find about this guy is he issues updates on roms almost everyday! So stay tuned :) I can't wait to try out his ese81 customized build as well...
  8. ldimick

ldimick New Member

That's one way to do it. But what happens when (not IF) some unscrupulous builder tweaks his ROM to fudge the results a bit?

I don't have any problem with your choice. I do tend to shy away from trying new ROMs too early though. You know what they say, "You can always tell a pioneer from the arrows in his back."
  9. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

Will it show up in rom manager?
  10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I think you should check each of the developers site and look at the change logs. That should help you see exactly what has been modified and help you decide which rom to install. Prioritize each rom install the top run it for a week then make a backup and install the next one on your list.

Mike
  11. rubenyr

rubenyr New Member

I've only run Ultimate Droid ROMs, and have been pretty happy with those. Currently though, I am using Pete's rooted 2.1 ESE81 stock ROM, Adamz MV 1000mhz overclock kernel, and helix launcher, and find it to be rock solid, and just as fast as Ultimate Droid 9. Battery life is exceptional (<10% cell standby battery usage), signal performance is good (0% without signal). WiFi tethering appears to work, ESE53 MM based themes can be applied, and haptic feedback is back to normal 2.01 levels (though I seemed to be the only one not liking the supercharged haptic feedback in the UD ROMS).

I don't have all the fancy themed elements that would come in a custom ROM, but I prefer stock look anyways (with exception of the glassed facebook and genie widget which I added). So if you're looking for a stable build, and don't need the fancy eye candy, rooted stock 2.1 ESE81 is a winner for me.
  12. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I have been waiting for this post.

What steps did you take?

1. Load the 2.1 rooted.
    2. Reload your app and data backup.

Anything else?
  13. rubenyr

rubenyr New Member

No special steps, pretty much what you stated. I was running UD9 at the time.
    1) Backup everything with Titanium.
    2) Boot into clockwork recovery, Factory reset/wipe data, wipe cache partition, and wiped boot.
    3) Applied update.zip, reboot, activate phone
    4) Re-installed Titanium, Restored apps+data only, did not restore system data except for SMS message backups, and phone log (These backups are listed with green text if you're using Titanium)
    5) Reboot into clockwork, applied Adamz overclock kernel
    *Note, I first tried a Chevy1 kernel, and it initially seemed to lag, so I switched to an Adamz kernel. I though I'd get around to testing them both a bit more, but with how the Droid is running now, I don't really have a reason to.
  14. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Chevy just announced he has a new ESE81 for release tomorrow. Decisions, decisions....:icon_ banana:
  15. rubenyr

rubenyr New Member

Looking forward to it myself. Also Pete is coming out with V1 soon, and I'm sure blackdroid will cook up a spectacular ESE81 build too. For myself, with how my Droid is runnig now, I'm not going back to an ESE53 or ERE25 based custom ROM, I'll stick with stock ESE81 or one of the upcoming custom ones.
  16. wbmason1

wbmason1 New Member

Hi guys, I'm kinda new to ROMS so forgive the NOOB question. =) Can you put say an older ROM like Cyanogen 5.0.4 on the new ese81 build without any problems or should I just wait for one of the ese81 ROMS to come out?
  17. bgill55

bgill55 New Member Theme Developer

Cyanogen (Koush) has released his ESE81 5.0.5.6 rom last night!! Straight Bananas!!!
  18. wbmason1

wbmason1 New Member

Great, thanks! I see 2 different files listed. 1 being Download: http://goo.gl/Sgrh (SirPsychoS Recovery Nandroid Version) and the other one being Download: http://goo.gl/8dzs (Original Version). Do I install them both or just pick one or the other? Thank you for your help!!
  19. Alex K.

Alex K. New Member

Well spoken! What kernel do you use?