So mad at myself, put my new phone in washer

luvmylittleboy2003

Reaction score
My phone isn't even a month old and this morning, I grabed it up and threw it in the washer without even realizing, thankfully it wasn't in there more than a couple of mins before I ran and retrieved it, I'm so mad at myself! I have it sitting in rice right now, hoping to salvage it. I do have insurance (through third party, diamond wireless) and hoping they will cover it with my 75 dollor deductible, which I really don't have :icon_evil: Hate stupid mistakes like this!!!!

dshinnick

Reaction score
From personal experience!

1. remove the battery
2. put both in baggie of rice and seal it
3. don't even THINK about trying to power it up for AT LEAST 3 days. Preferably four.

If you did all this as soon as it came from the washer (mine, toilet) there's a decent chance it'll come back.

remember that there's a wetness indicator in the back of the phone, so don't think about fibbing about its taking a swim; they'll know otherwise.

good luck

kparks

Reaction score
My phone isn't even a month old and this morning, I grabed it up and threw it in the washer without even realizing, thankfully it wasn't in there more than a couple of mins before I ran and retrieved it, I'm so mad at myself! I have it sitting in rice right now, hoping to salvage it. I do have insurance (through third party, diamond wireless) and hoping they will cover it with my 75 dollor deductible, which I really don't have :icon_evil: Hate stupid mistakes like this!!!!
dont try to start it for a couple of days

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Wow, I did the same to my D1 about 2mths ago. I;m with Asurion so my deductible was $50. Still sucks though. Hope you can revive it.

ziggy484

Reaction score
Microwave, popcorn setting, 6 minutes

Sent from an Ed01 Voodoo Fascinate

OP
L

luvmylittleboy2003

Reaction score
I turned my phone on (figured nothing to lose since I was going to go through my insurance for a new one anyway). This is my main phone and I need it!

After I turned it on I got a triangle with a green droid guy sweeping up what looks to be garbage, then underneath it says downloading and not to turn off...any idea what that is???

Sister Amethyst

Reaction score
That's the update pushing through. Congrats on getting the phone to turn on.

My daughter did the exact same thing to hers, threw it in the wash, only she took a lot longer to realize it was missing. We removed the battery and soaked the phone in rubbing alcohol for about 5 minutes carefully swishing it through. There was a little blue tinge we assume was the detergent coming out.

After a 5 minute bath we put it on a towel near our cable box (a little warmer than the rest of the house) and let it dry for 3 days. When it didn't smell like alcohol any more, we popped the battery back in and it's been running fine ever since. No rice. :)

OP
L

luvmylittleboy2003

Reaction score
Well...the phone died! After the update, now it won't turn on, just a black screen. I called insurance and they are sending me out a new one, should be here tomorrow!