So long gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by otter34, Apr 14, 2011.

1. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

Spot on yakitori. I simply don't understand why our forum can accept that different kernals and speeds react differently with our phones, but the minute someone says a rom doesn't work with theirs we get in a hissy fit. Um.... if some phones can barely run at 700 and others can go to 1.5, what makes you think that some roms just can't like some phones? For YOUR phone, GB may be perfect. It may not have a single bug. But for mine? GB doesn't roll with it. It'll reboot multiple times a day, no matter what I did.

And cause I'm human and spc challenged me I have too... Don't even try to tell me that I'm doing something wrong buddy. I've as pro as you can get without knowing how to code. I've fixed multiple "bricked" phones for my friends. I've been modding for almost 3 years. I've been at this forum for a year longer than you. For all practical purposes, I could of been your tutor a year back. So don't even try to tell me I'm doing something wrong ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

The ONLY issue I had with SS is 3g loss after calls, and poor memory management when streaming pandora...resulting in frozen phone sliders...and a continual ring which I could not answer. Then a cascade of FC on pandora and anything else that was open. It was minimal at first but continued...forcing me to get irritated enough to go back to froyo.

So are you saying you are able to listen to ALL the music you have on your SD card?
  3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I haven't had any issues either. Maybe it's because I'm a minimalist? I don't use themes, or custom icons, or anything like that really. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I only have Beautiful Widget's "Beautiful Home Weather" on my home screen in addition to shortcuts.

I have changed my font, and boot animation though... but that's it. I use SetCPU profiles to under/overclock, and I use ADW EX as my launcher.

It is peculiar that some people have issues with GB, and others don't. I don't know if it's my minimalist setup, or that my particular handset reacts better to it. All I can do is shrug my shoulders, and enjoy the fact that my handset in particular gets along famously with SS 5.2. I have no idea why, but I like it :-D

My overall opinion is, run with what works best for you. You, the end user should be happy with your device. Thank goodness there are such a plethora of ROMs and kernels out there for us all to play with.

Support your favorite developer!

Happy modding.

*customized tapatalk signature*
  4. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

ss5.2 is my favorite gb rom by far. UD is not bad either. I actually noticed with UD 3.3 that even though I lose 3g after hanging up on a phone call...it comes back on its own like some kind of script toggles plane mode for me. Its a pause with no data and then it comes back after a bit.

None of the themes work in UD extras though. At least not for me.

I agree that it likely varies handset to handset. My phone and my girls phone experience probs...so its not a permanent rom for me with the minor nuisances I run into.

Custom icons or stock...same issues arise for both me and my girls phone. I mean no disrespect at all to any devs...they are all great.
  5. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ok, here it goes. Look I understand you're just sooooo much better than I am (rolls eyes). Read my entire post before you start trying to brag about how good are you are. Make it a point to read the LAST LINE of my post where I say "Could be the device" I'm sure you are just way too awesome to see that though. I'm glad you've had all the time in the world to be modding and on these forums as long as you have. I've been too busy serving my country for you to have the freedom to act like a pompous ass without reading my whole post. Go back and check it and see where I said, "Could be the device," trust me it's there.

I completely agree 100% that all Kernels, ROMs and devices are different which is why at the end of my post I said "Could be the device, could be the operator." My point was that probably 70% of the time, it is user error. They didn't wipe data before flashing, they didn't wipe cache before flashing, they didn't make a nand backup before flashing and they flashed wrong and are now bricked. Maybe they didn't check the MD5 to make sure there are no errors with the file. The fact that you've been doing this longer than I have means nothing. I've created a 2.3.2 ROM for the HTC Droid Eris, a device that never even got 2.2 and I did it from scratch! I built my own vendor tree for that ROM and am very proud of it. How long I've been doing this is irrelevant, it's skill, not time. Someone else could have been doing this since the very first smartphone and still suck. I learn very very fast, I made a 2.2 ROM for the Eris in about 2 hours, and 2 weeks later I came out with a 2.3.2 ROM for the same phone and I've only been modding Droid phones for about 6 months. So yeah, ummmm.....thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I do have one issue that I just noticed... choppy video capture. It looks like it's dropping frames or something, like it's capturing 20fps as opposed to 30fps. That's kind of important to me. Played back vids I captured while running the previous ROM, and they look fine. It's definitely occuring during capture.

I tried locking the camera app in memory, but to no avail.

I just flashed a mv kernel and while it did improve, it's still a bit choppy. May underclock as well. Anyhow.... if I can't sort this out, I'm going back to Froyo... SS 4.96 style :)

So there you go... I found an issue with my GB as well. D'oh!

Happy modding.

7. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Choppy video is a very common GB issue.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  8. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

Yeah, I realize that now after doing a little search. I hadn't noticed it until recently. Seems like that's my only issue though. I can listen to music, run navigation, and surf web simultaneously without any problems.

If not for the video bug, it'd be perfect. I have a 3 year old, and video capture on my droid comes in handy when I don't have a regular cam handy.

Will probably switch back to 2.2 now :-/
    I have done everything I can think of/have read about, and nothing really fixes it.

9. otter34

otter34 New Member

Sigh...One major issue. I have an issue SS 5.2 and it's the same w/ all gb roms I tried and that's w/ directions. For me it's a major issue because I get lost all the time and I need the navigator to work. I will open up maps, then click directions. I select directions from current location then choose from contacts for the destination. Next I select a contact and it goes back to a map of the area instead of going back and letting me hit the go button for directions. Basically it closes the directions part of the app and just shows me a map of my area.

So I do it all over. I click menu again then select directions and then select contacts again. Without fail it goes back to the maps and this goes on and on sometimes 6 times before finally working. Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix? Is it a commond GB issue?
  10. jimmydene84

jimmydene84 New Member

In 5.2 there is an option to lock up to 5 apps in memory. Lock ur maps in memory and problem solved :)
  11. Rento

Rento New Member

Didn't read any replies but... Looking at all my info. Gingerbread works better then Froyo on my phone :).
  12. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I checked out maps on my own, and it seems to be working fine if I choose my destination as a contact. Did it 3 times in a row, no problems.

As for choppy video... loks like a dev on xda swapped out Froyo some lib files to sort it out. Link pending.....

13. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

14. jimmypop13

jimmypop13 New Member

This isn't user error. Many of us have these issues with any gingerbread rom. And you making a rom is irrelevent to this discussion so stop repeating it.
  15. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

....beta GB ROMs have bugs? O noes! Screw froyo I'm going back to eclair!
  16. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

It's actually very relevant since it's a discussion about GB ROMs (duh). Anyway, I wasn't saying EVERY situation is user error, again, I said it could also be because of every device reacting different.
  17. bullswife98

bullswife98 New Member

+1 on Gimp! I also returned back to froyo as well... I was doing gingerbread since its release and way too unstable and I need something I can depend on and will work flawlessly. Froyo is what my Droid loves so froyo is what will stay on my Droid. Thank God that gimp is staying with froyo. His roms are stable, smooth,and fast. Oh yeah and some perks too. Give gimp a shot,you may like their roms.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  18. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

If you like Gimpsource give Sourcery a run, you will be pleasantly surprised. It's the most recent Froyo and has amazing features..

Tapped from my Sourcerized D1
  19. intasia

intasia New Member

Liquid Gingerbread 1.7

I am using an OG Droid and currently running the newest version of Liquid Gingerbread. 1.7 and i have had no problems. I have been running it about a week now. I am running the stock kernel that came with it and it is running smooth and quadrant has rated it at 1192, which is not to bad for the Droid 1. So i am told. You can check it out here....

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liquid/143306-liquid-gingerbread-v1-7-rom-release.html
    dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid
  20. matt2783

matt2783 New Member

Same here. Liquid Gingerbread has been running very smooth so far. I've only had it for a day but no issues yet. I also ran CM7 (stable) for a day and that ran well too, though I did have a couple issues. My apps didn't sync for some reason and the power widget inside the task bar disappeared sometimes.

All in all though, both of them work well and didn't have any major issues.
Search tags for this page
gingerbread auto sync takes too long

gingerbreak so long

gingerbreak taking too long

gingerbreak taking too long droid x2

why does gingerbreak take so long

why is gingerbreak taking so long on droid x2
why's gingerbreak take so long