1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

So long gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by otter34, Apr 14, 2011.

1. otter34

otter34 New Member

Sorry, too many bugs w/ Gingerbread in general. I've been trying it out since the first ROM was release. I've had issues w/ all gingerbread roms I've tried and understand that sometimes software isn't compatible yet, developers aren't up to speed and those problems I can deal with. I can't deal w/ problems w/ the camera or phone or google maps-core apps. I've tried PE, all of liquids gingerbread, BB, CM, Chevy and the list goes on. Yes I followed all install instructions to a t, wiping 10,000 times, formatting boot, letting the market update itself, not restoring w/ titanium etc, etc

Today I had major issues at the worst possible times. I was using liquid's latest gingerbread and I was driving and maps/navigation was a pain but I was lost in a bad area and needed an escape route immediately! On top of that I had 2 emergency situations where I needed to answer the call but there was no way to answer! No slider, nothing. That's when I realized it's time for something that's stable and I almost considered unrooting....but then realized I might as well just go back to froyo

I appreciate all the support in these forums. Unfortunately gingy just ain't ready for my droid.
  2. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Try the latest CM7 nightly build #38. I've had it for a few days now and now its my every day ROM. Its extremely stable.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. fatcharlie

fatcharlie New Member

Last cm7 build I tried was winner's #36, does build #38 fix the data issues? I take the subway and use an underground garage and toggling airplane mode was driving me crazy. I'm back to Sapphire 2.0.2 because it is as stable as you get, but it ain't gingerbread.
  4. jessemhess

jessemhess New Member

Your not the only one. GB was not ever meant to run on the Droid 1. I have also reverted back to Froyo and have been enjoying a bug free phone. I am currently using Project Gimp Source. Gimp is one of few that is still doing Froyo projects. I highly suggest you check Gimp out. He is in the process of having a new Froyo release soon.
  5. fatcharlie

fatcharlie New Member

Yeah I know it wasn't meant for the old droid but I keep holding out hope that cvpcs or someone will figure out a fix for data. I love showing people gb's screen off effect. Thanks for the tip on Gimp I will check it out.
  6. skruid

skruid New Member

I have been using liquids latest build and haven't had any problems

7. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

What is the data issue?

8. fatcharlie

fatcharlie New Member

My probelm is that if you lose data because you're out of range, like you go underground on subway/garage, when you are back in range it will look like your data has come back but your bars don't turn green (meaning you're connected to google) and data doesn't work. You then have to toggle airplane mode to get data to work and connect to google. So I go into my garage, lose signal, get my navigation set up, leave garage, regain signal, and then have to airplane toggle whilst driving to get data back. Not ideal. It only affects people who lose signal frequently so I doubt it will ever get fixed. I've tried several cm7 builds and pete alfonso's GPA builds and it happens with both of them. Maybe I'll give Liquid a try like a previous poster suggested.
  9. HIFI

HIFI New Member

I'm glad I am not alone in going back to froyo.
  10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

These must be those instances that prove no two droids are alike. I am having no issues whatsoever with SS 5.2. In fact, my phone has never been so stable. Running it with Chevy's 1.1 Ghz kernel.

Have you tried different kernels? I've gotten almost every ROM to run pretty stable just by swapping out kernels until I found the right one.

In any case, hope you get sorted out, even if you have to go back to Froyo. Buggy phones are a pain in the heiny. Happy androiding.

*customized tapatalk signature*
  11. otter34

otter34 New Member

Actually, no I haven't tried different kernels except for once. Damn it now I'm thinking about giving it another shot. Ugh, having to reset all the alerts, widgets...grrr
  12. adamrobles

adamrobles New Member

Chevy 5.2

I was almost ready to go back to Froyo until I read this post

I have been having a ton of issues with Chevy 5.2:
    Random Reboots
    Maps not staying open, just auto closes when I start searching

Oxymoron - Which 1.1 kernel did you use? Ultra Low Voltage/Low Voltage/Medium Voltage?

I am going to try a few different kernels before I go back to froyo.
  13. fatcharlie

fatcharlie New Member

I used the deprimed kernel on cm7 and I used the slayher kernel and pete's new kernel on the GPA roms, none automatically picked up data after loss of connection. Maybe my droid just doesn't like gb. When I get some downtime I will try Liquid.
  14. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ss 5.2 with 800mhz lv makes my droid run soooooooo much better then it ever has

15. adamrobles

adamrobles New Member

kernel

It seemed to have something to do with the Ultra Low voltage Kernel. I have been using the Medium Voltage kernel since my last post and havnt had any issues with using maps or anything else.
  16. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

@adamrobles
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I forgot about this thread. I am running the lv 1.1Ghz. Anything above 1.1 caused bootloops. I tried some of chevys ulv kernels too, but my droid wouldn't even fully boot with those. All of the mv kernels I tried worked well for me, but I get battery life from the the lv ones.

Glad you got yours all sorted out. I don't think I'll be going back to Froyo now that I've been running GB for awhile.... unless it's SS 4.96.

Happy modding.

17. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

All I ever wipe when I flash a kernel is cache, dalvick cache, and battery stats (after charging to 100% first). Never had any problems. No need to reset everything.

Happy modding.

18. daware

daware New Member

I'm another one of those people to say that I went back to Froyo for awhile. Well, I got back on the Gingerbread horse yesterday, and I will confirm what others have said in that SS 5.2 is running great for me. I think I've only had one force close, and it was an app and had nothing to do with the ROM. I'm using the stock kernel at 800MHz, and it's extremely snappy. I'm sorry this doesn't help the OP, but Chevy has another satisfied customer.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  19. otter34

otter34 New Member

"Every time I think I'm out they pull me back in"....fine I'll try again.

edit: just downloaded and I'm letting the market update my apps. So far this thing is beautiful. I hope it's as smooth as it looks
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  20. dparm

dparm New Member

Get away from CM7. It's not good, and it never was.

Peter Alfonso (the guy behind Bugless Beast) has an outstanding AOSP Gingerbread ROM that I have been running for a long time.
Search tags for this page
gingerbread auto sync takes too long

gingerbreak so long

gingerbreak taking too long

gingerbreak taking too long droid x2

why does gingerbreak take so long

why is gingerbreak taking so long on droid x2
why's gingerbreak take so long