So Just Where Is This GPS?

NVash

Reaction score
Ive been wondering that since I got this phone, where is this infamous GPS? Id like to know so I can put it on my Home Screen.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
What?!?!? As in navigation? Go to car home icon in menu, or google maps...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ive been wondering that since I got this phone, where is this infamous GPS? Id like to know so I can put it on my Home Screen.

It is already on your home screen. It is one of the preset icons on the screen, called google maps.

samredman

Reaction score
Well, the answer to his question isn't exactly as simple as it might seem. The Google Maps feature evidently doesn't, by default, use GPS satellites. The following was a statement found in one of those Motorola notifications (where they talked about known issues) which explains the you must turn on GPS for Google Maps to use it and that it affects battery life negatively.

Google Maps can take several minutes to display the proper location and may be inaccurate when initially started. Accuracy can be improved by enabling GPS satellites by pressing the MENU button, select Settings, select Location & security settings and then select Use GPS satellites.
NOTE: Enabling this setting will have a negative impact to battery life.
From home screen:

Menu > Settings > Location & security settings > Use GPS satellites
(check)

Evidently, only after that purposeful action will Google maps be using GPS satellites.

Last edited:
OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone, Im definitely going to check this out. Just, when Im really close to some sort of charger.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW I used the Navigation app a lot while on vacation last week. It wasn't as bad on a battery as you might think. Having said that I still had to buy a car charger while I was away. It won;t last 100k miles at a crack :)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I believe my GPS was turned on by default, not the other way around. But I'll allow that perhaps the salesperson turned it on while activating it in the store.

I like the power widget, have it on my left home screen for quickly re-configuring the unit to manage batt life. So far I'm the one draining it, it is just so much fun to play with!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It wasn't as bad on a battery as you might think. Having said that I still had to buy a car charger while I was away. It won;t last 100k miles at a crack :)
What phone with GPS does last 100K miles in a car on a single battery charge?

checker555

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone, Im definitely going to check this out. Just, when Im really close to some sort of charger.
Nah, don't overthink it. I have GPS turned on all the time, and my battery lasts from dawn till midnight. Have fun with it!

Zecpull

Reaction score
The Places Directory is also GPS based and you can see he little arrows turn as you turn the Phone.
and as stated above the Car Home App is Gps.

Eye.Poker.1

Reaction score
The Places Directory is also GPS based and you can see he little arrows turn as you turn the Phone.
and as stated above the Car Home App is Gps.

I am unfamiliar with the Car Home App, it's not installed on my system and I can't find it in the market.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I think this person is referring to google navigation it is part of google maps. You don't have to find it, that is the nice thing about it just click on the microphone on your home screen and say "navigate to...." and it will go into google navigation on it's own.