So I've had my DX for 3 weeks...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Chirodroid, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Chirodroid

Chirodroid New Member

And I'm thinking of going back to my Blackberry Curve unless you guys can help me solve some issues.

1. Facebook. My phone downloaded all my Facebook contacts, so that when I go to text or make a call, I see 200 names that I dont want on my phone. The only way to get around this that I've discovered is to eliminiate Facebook on the phone. I've tried to delete individual names that I don't want but I get a message that says I have to delete them from my Facebook acct.

2. No good way to set the phone to vibrate. On my BB, if it was in the holster, it would vibrate. If it wasn't it would ring. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to turn the vibrate on and off on this phone and even then it doesn't vibrate for a text.

3. This phone is SLOW. I'm told it's due to the apps but I've only downloaded a handfull and hardly use them. Is there an easy way to see which apps are running and turn them off?

4. I seem to receive text messages between 1-3 times. In other words, if I get a text, it often comes through multiple times. ANNOYING. Plus if I try to delete them, it takes FOREVER. I was showing my friend this and she couldn't believe how slow this phone was.

5. Battery life is abysmal. But you all knew that.

6. Surfing the web. If you go to a website say espn or facebook as examples, it doesn't take you to the full site. You go to some miniversion that doesn't give me the info that I want.

7. Keyboard. Sometimes swype seems to work well, sometimes not. If I text something and a word is wrong, it is very hard to go back to change the word. What I do know is that this keyboard is a PITA compared to a BB.

8. Unless you want to do a lot of multimedia on this phone, it isn't that good. Oddly enough, the phone's biggest weaknesses are as a phone and texting device. There seem to be too many menus to have to go through, the phone is large if you're going to be holding it to your ear to talk, and it isn't as easy to text with as a BB.

Is there any way to solve these problems or should I just go back to my BB?
  2. trebb

trebb New Member

You don't know how to use the phone. Go back to your curve.

Making the phone vibrate is honestly so simple...if you can't figure it out you shouldn't have a smart phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. gardobus

gardobus New Member

And the X is in no way slow, even with everything enabled...
  4. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Have you searched? Some issues you have posted are due to being new to android and dont know what youre doing.

also try droidxforums.com
  5. cgrimm9

cgrimm9 New Member

sounds like he never got the update if his battery seems to drain fast but sounds like someone who just wants some attention
  6. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Battery life...there are fixes if you look for them.

Browser...try dolphin hd

Keyboard...buy better keyboard

No time to address all of your issues but there are many ways to optimize and customize. Good luck
  7. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Ok, let me attempt this even though it doesn't seem that an Android is right for you...
    Try removing your facebook account from the default Facebook that is built into the X and instead install Facebook from the market and use that. I can't help much with this though, I don't use Fecebook.
    How about press volume down until it goes to vibrate.......
    The X is super fast. Faster than my old curve, my storm, my Eris, and my Droid 1. It is the fastest phone I have ever used, both when it comes to opening apps, loading webpages, etc. I'm not sure how you could see an X as being slow...
    This is usually the fault of the sender. I have one person who always sends me triplicates and duplicates. No one else does. I think it usually has to do with cross-network texts. Networks don't always play 100% with each other.
    Again, the battery life on the X is better than the Incredible, Droid 1, Eris, etc. A BB will have better battery life because it is weak and low resolution and overall doesn't look very nice or do anything that involves power...
    Install a browser that allows you to set your User Agent to desktop such as Opera Mini, Dolphin, xScope, SkyFire, etc. Don't even try to say that the BBs browser is nicer than Androids, that is just silly.
    It is a completely different style of keyboard. You need to get used to on screen keyboards. The stock multitouch on the X is GREAT and Swype isn't bad either. You could try some other replacements like Better Keyboard, HTC IME, Smart Keyboard Pro, etc but I think the stock X keyboard is best.
    I text constantly and make plenty of calls and have no problems. Also, holding it to my face in no way feels awkward. It is light and thin and its not like it wider than my hand or anything. Maybe you are holding it wrong. *apple*
  8. trebb

trebb New Member

Also, someone coming from a blakberry complaining about android being too menu-oriented is laughable.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  9. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

You seem to have already made up your mind that you think your blackberry storm is much better than the droid x but I'll attempt to help you. To 98% of consumers as well as people who have any knowledge of smartphone, the droid x blows the storm away. Obviously, your opinion is different, which is fine, but it seems as if your almost creating problems to make yourself feel as if the blackberry is better. The multimedia experience on android is far inferior to that of other phones (such as the iphone), it is the rest of the android experience that really makes it shine (which is why I'm confused as to why you think the multimedia experience is the only good thing). The multimedia experience is in no means bad, it just falls short when compared to other smartphones (essentially just the iphone). To have such a brilliant smartphone with a beautiful display and extremely quick browsing it has to lack in some ways, which in this case is the battery. Try searching for tips to conserve battery life (turn off wifi, gps, bluetooth when not in use) and you should be happier. There are several other keyboards to try if you are unhappy with swype (this is what makes android so awesome...everyone has the ability to change their phone to their preferences). Try the HTC_IME keyboard for the droid x...just use the search function. Lastly, no matter what phone you use, most websites that have a mobile version of their site default to that. Typically at the very bottom of the page there is a button that says "view full site" or something similar. Try these tips and see if you like it a little better. The droid x is a phenomenal phone, but it seems as if your just new to android (like most) and are a little confused. Feel free to search the forums for whatever other questions you might have...most if not all questions you have can be found using the search function. Good luck.
  10. osvaldo

osvaldo New Member

user error
  11. Chirodroid

Chirodroid New Member

First of all, I know how to use the phone. I may not be a techie but I'm not bad. I didn't say that the BB Curve has a better browser. I said that it is better for calling and texting. This phone is slow. My wife has the same phone and it takes her a third of the time to pull up an app, delete a message ect.
  12. BKSinAZ

BKSinAZ New Member

That was mature....
    The guy has some LEGIT issues and respectfully documented them for our assistance and you insult him? What are you, 15?
    I just came over from the iPhone and navigating the iPhone menus was easier. I am not saying the iphone is better, I am just saying the software on the DX can be better.
    Not trying to insult anyone's manhood.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  13. BKSinAZ

BKSinAZ New Member

can you share with us the battery life fix please?
  14. Jpease

Jpease New Member

He is going back to a BlackBerry Curve not a Storm.

I come from a curve too.

I will say it is a very nice feature when you put your Curve back into the holster it automatically does vibrate and sound.

One app that I miss the most is BlackBerry password keeper, tasks and notes. It is the best I ever used.

and it has been three weeks for me too but I am not going back. Hell NOOOoooooooo!

DroidX is the best phone I have ever owned.
  15. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Battery fix...my sig has a link but in a nutshell:

0)calibrate your phone battery by draining it all the way and then charging it all the way. You may want to do this more than once with a new battery and then about once/month thereafter

1)there is a bug with the droid x where using gps stops the phone from sleeping. Solution is to turn gps off when you are done. I would bet a lot that this will be fixed with the update.

2)did your phone activate properly? Mine didn't and it was pushing "Cell standby" thru the roof. Dial *228 and and select option 2. If that returns an error, call again and choose option 1.

3)apps and widgets can drain your battery. You can check what's using your battery in phone settings or to bette pinpoint use an app like Spare Parts
  16. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

there have been some snide comments, and i don't want to add to it. so i say this, truly, in an attempt to be helpful. but, it seems like you might not have given the time to really understand how the phone operates. to me, comparing the BB platform to Android is like comparing a high school football player to a NFL player - they play the same game, but are entirely different animals.

my wife had a Curve for 2 years (and i just recently got her the D Inc), so i have quite a bit of experience with BB's. to me, a BB is a phone, with some smartphone features. a Droid is more like a netpad computer, that you can use as a phone - it is just so much more powerful. and that is why i speculate that you may not have taken enough time to really explore the DX's functions. you're going up to a WAAAAAAYYY beefier device, and it takes some time to really get to know it. but, the power, speed, function, and capability is almost unrivaled.

as for your specific issues....

1. Facebook. in the FB menu, there is an option for only syncing your FB contacts with your phone contacts that have phone numbers. i don't have phone numbers for most of my FB friends, so it cuts down the number of people appearing in my phone contacts significantly.

2. Vibrate. you can use the volume rocker like someone suggested. also, on the lock screen, if you slide the icon on the right side, you can switch b/t sound and vibrate.

3. phone speed. this is highly unusual. you're running a phone with a 1 ghz processor - it CAN'T be slow. you may have a bad phone. download the app Quadrant and run a benchmark test. if it's significantly slower than what an X should be, it may be defective. and, you've got a ton of internal memory - apps shouldn't be the problem. but, you can try Advanced Task Killer app (altho the google/android people don't really like them) and set it to automatically kill apps running in the background. otherwise, you can go to settings/applications/manage apps and "force stop" your apps.

4. text messages. i don't know - never heard of this.

6. browser. even BB browser will auto take you to the "mobile" version of the website. i use xScope, and it works great!!

7. i don't use swype. but, "better keyboard" is an option, and there are a TON of different skins to dl, to make it what you want. right now, i'm using SwiftKey Beta, and it is phenomenal!!

8. phone/texting. this is just personal preference. i find my Droid works great. i have a phenomenal speakerphone, and the ability to utilize my keypad when i'm on a call.

i don't know if any of this helps, but i'd hate to see you give up and go back to driving a Chevy Nova, instead of keeping your BMW/Mercedes/Lexus...

17. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The Droid is probably not a good phone for the OP, that's plainly clear. But that doesn't give anyone the right to insult him, nor OP does it give you the right to insult anyone.

Respect is #1 in the Droid Forums, if you can't post respectfully then don't post at all.
  18. yumenoko

yumenoko New Member

That's good to know. I'll be picking up my X after work today (it finally came in!). I've used various OS in the past (have had Nokias, S-E, Panasonic, Sharp, and most recently BB) and am hoping I get used to the new phone quickly. I admit, I needed very little assistance with the BB since it's not a complicated phone at all. It's just good and solid.

Thankfully I've had the fruit's touch MP3 for over a year now, so I should be okay with not having the physical BB keyboard. As long as call reception is good (I travel a lot in the US for work) and I can access the browser on the fly, I'm good. BTW, I'm deflecting after 20+ years from Blue to Big Red, itself a leap!

I've read about the Facebook/social media issues if you use the default Motor Blur to access them. I am hoping to be able to root the phone and get rid of the native apps for Facebook and Twitter and use the branded apps instead. Then I'll need to figure out how to get the notifications set the way I want. I think I'll be frustrated a lot at first, but don't usually need manuals for much. Just plan to haunt these forums to get tips and help as needed. :)

Hoepfully you won't see me posting again in 3 weeks saying I miss my BB like the OP!
  19. chikibabe

chikibabe New Member

1. If you go into "My accounts", you can delete the facebook account and those contacts will no longer be available...OR, once you go into your Contacts list, there's an option at the top (w/ a + sign) that you can choose so that it will only show your phone contacts, vs. google contacts. vs. facebook contacts. vs/ All contacts or your "favorites".

2. I use a toggle widget that's free in the Market, if you just look that up, the vibrate option is only a click away. It's called "Silent Toggle Widget" but it does have an "Only Vibrate" option.

3. There's a really really good post earlier regarding how to improve the performance of your phone and getting rid of all unneccessary apps that can run in the background that would take up memory and make your phone more laggy.. however, you would need Root access. You can check it out and i'm sure it'll help if you follow it through: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/67100-keep-your-droid-x-running-snappy.html

4. Are you using Handcent SMS by any chance? cause it tends to do that, there's an option in Handcent where u can turn off that capability and it'll prevent the multiple texts from popping up. If you're only using stock, not sure what to tell you except it's probably a network problem with either of the carrier. Also, if you have multiple messaging applications running, that could cause the duplicates as well.

5. I average 12+ hours w/ moderate use after "conditioning" the battery..i.e., draining it and fully charging it. Be sure to turn GPS as that is probably what causes the majority of the battery drain.

6. This is something I haven't noticed and doesn't really have a problem with so don't know what to tell you except what's already been said...try different browsers...

7. I don't seem to have a problem with this either..i love swype and even the regular keyboard has great text prediction and pop up for correction ... as for highlighting a word, just double tap on the word and if you want highlight a whole sentence, press down until the magnifier comes up and drag it until the end of the sentence/paragraph and delete. If you're coming from the buttons of a qwerty keyboard, the touchscreen keyboard does take some getting use to but i think it's awesome for the trade of how thick the phone would feel otherwise.

8. I've never had a BB and will never be interested as I think they look too cumbersome. I don't have the issue of the phone being too big, but the sensor can be bothersome as i will ear push buttons sometimes accidentally while it's still against my ear. I'm not sure what the complaint regarding texting is unless it's the keyboard which i've already addressed up there. I use a different home launcher application (Launcherpro) which i find to be MUCH better than the stock, maybe you can give that a try (it's free) and you'll get access to your text application right on the home screen.

hope that helps a little. I think you'll really enjoy it more once you get the hang of it. it's definitely a learning curve for anyone not coming from an android phone previously (myself included).
  20. cpinto

cpinto Member

I agree, that person has not taken the time to learn how to use it.

Yes, it's a little slower than a flip phone because it's doing more.

There are many apps and widgets that can control sound and vib with the push of a button.

I've had a droid 1 since Jan, and the X for a week, and have none of those problems.

Web pages are browser controlled. Either change browsers or change settings.

The Droid line is not for everyone.

I have no complaints. The screen is big, but not better. Droid 1 had a clearer screen.

Craig
Search tags for this page

can't remove web page magnifier on droid

how do i erase the magnifier off my android screen

how to get rid of magnifyer on droid x

turn off side magnifier android samsung galaxy 2