So its come to this...Unlimited Data -or- Bionic

tds1

Reaction score
correct! As long as you are on Unlimited data prior to 7/7 you will be grandfathered.

Is that also true if you are month to month instead of on a 2 year contract? I have a feature phone now, and am trying to buy a used 3g Smartphone on craigslist prior to 7/7. So I would still be month to month with the smartphone and data (assuming I can find one in the next day or so!!). When I finally use my upgrade and renew the contract when the Bionic appears, will I still have unlimited data on the renewed contract (as far as we can tell)?

as long as your account reflects unlimited smartphone data by 7/7 you will be fine LOL.

THANKS! Just found a Droid Eris for $50 - heading to pick it up now. ESN is clear according to Verizon. Not the world's best phone, but it will be well worth it for a month to hold out for the Bionic!

tds1

Reaction score
Actually went to Costco two days ago, and saw that they have a 90 DAY exchange policy...sounds pretty nice.
90 days-interesting!!!

90 days is for exchange the same phone. 30 days is to exchange different phone or to get a refund.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Costco seems somewhat variable on what their policy is. Mine said 14 days exchange, 90 days to return phone but no exchanges after 14 days. They had a sign posted that said that as well. That's why I went the used phone route to lock in unlimited.

nalgon

Reaction score
90 days-interesting!!!

90 days is for exchange the same phone. 30 days is to exchange different phone or to get a refund.

Costco seems somewhat variable on what their policy is. Mine said 14 days exchange, 90 days to return phone but no exchanges after 14 days. They had a sign posted that said that as well. That's why I went the used phone route to lock in unlimited.

The costco paper work and the salesman said 14 days was to get out of the contract.

trailblazen

Reaction score
Is that also true if you are month to month instead of on a 2 year contract? I have a feature phone now, and am trying to buy a used 3g Smartphone on craigslist prior to 7/7. So I would still be month to month with the smartphone and data (assuming I can find one in the next day or so!!). When I finally use my upgrade and renew the contract when the Bionic appears, will I still have unlimited data on the renewed contract (as far as we can tell)?

as long as your account reflects unlimited smartphone data by 7/7 you will be fine LOL.

THANKS! Just found a Droid Eris for $50 - heading to pick it up now. ESN is clear according to Verizon. Not the world's best phone, but it will be well worth it for a month to hold out for the Bionic!
Hey I am still floating my Storm 2 so anything else to include the Eris is gravy LOL. Glad you were able to lock in on that line

endobrian

Reaction score
Here's a question that hasn't been covered yet:

If you aren't a Verizon customer yet, and you buy tomorrow a Thunderbolt at Best Buy, sign-up for a 2 year contract to get the phone for $250-299 at the discounted rate...normally 8 billion dollars.
29 days rolls around you and can get a refund for the Thunderbolt from Best Buy ($250-299), BUT you are still locked in with Verizon which isn't going to give you another discounted phone! You only had 14 days to cancel contract/discounted phone.

Anyone else deal with Best Buy and getting another phone in this 30 day window?

endobrian

Reaction score
Also, if you sign up to a month to month plan now with a used phone, will you be eligible for the unlimited data plan when you sign up for a 2 year contract?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also, if you sign up to a month to month plan now with a used phone, will you be eligible for the unlimited data plan when you sign up for a 2 year contract?

Or are you grandfathered in only until the time your original plan was going to expire? Too many unknowns still. This time next week...we'll know.

trailblazen

Reaction score

Or are you grandfathered in only until the time your original plan was going to expire? Too many unknowns still. This time next week...we'll know.
I emailed VZW asking about the grandfathering and recieved my response this morning. It looks like as long as you have unlimited BEFORE 7/7 you will be good no matter what. It is only if you add a new line or upgrading from a feature phone to smartphone. Here is my email verbatum minus my last name for protection. So regardless it looks like you get to retain it as long as you keep your plan.
----------------------------
Dear James xxxx,

Good morning Mr. xxxx. I can understand your concern. My name is Dana and I am eager to clear up any confusion. I am delighted to inform you that your existing unlimited data plans for each of your lines of service will not be changed and you can retain it, even if you upgrade from your Blackberry Storm 2 to a new Smartphone, such a the Motorola Droid Bionic . The new data plan pricing, which has not been officially released and cannot be commented on until an official announcement has been made from Verizon Wireless, applies to new lines of service only and existing lines upgrading from feature phones/multimedia devices to Smartphones. I know waiting on a device can seem like forever. I wish I had a date to provide however we do not like to raise expectations that may not be met. You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update, please click on the following link to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website: email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseFormOSPEJNlmhtLk_.2ef

Mr. xxxx, I hope the information provided was helpful. We appreciate your business and thank you for being a loyal Verizon Wireless customer.

Sincerely,

Dana
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

Java

Reaction score

I emailed VZW asking about the grandfathering and recieved my response this morning. It looks like as long as you have unlimited BEFORE 7/7 you will be good no matter what. It is only if you add a new line or upgrading from a feature phone to smartphone. Here is my email verbatum minus my last name for protection. So regardless it looks like you get to retain it as long as you keep your plan.
Dear James xxxx,

Good morning Mr. xxxx. I can understand your concern. My name is Dana and I am eager to clear up any confusion. I am delighted to inform you that your existing unlimited data plans for each of your lines of service will not be changed and you can retain it, even if you upgrade from your Blackberry Storm 2 to a new Smartphone, such a the Motorola Droid Bionic . The new data plan pricing, which has not been officially released and cannot be commented on until an official announcement has been made from Verizon Wireless, applies to new lines of service only and existing lines upgrading from feature phones/multimedia devices to Smartphones. I know waiting on a device can seem like forever. I wish I had a date to provide however we do not like to raise expectations that may not be met. You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update, please click on the following link to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website: email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseFormOSPEJNlmhtLk_.2ef

Mr. xxxx, I hope the information provided was helpful. We appreciate your business and thank you for being a loyal Verizon Wireless customer.

Sincerely,

Dana
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

Had my mother print this off (I'm out of country right now) to show to the Verizon employee back home. Having her activate my cousin's Droid on a month-to-month so I can buy a new phone on the 2 yr contract (Discount and NE2 I still have saved up from early 2009) when I get back.

I'll tell everyone how it works out, though it will have been too late by the time I know for anyone else to do the same... *crosses fingers*

Worst case scenario is I end up with an X2, I can live with that.

Thanks for the email though, it'll help my mother with some leverage haha

trailblazen

Reaction score
Dear James xxxx,

Sincerely,

Dana
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

Had my mother print this off (I'm out of country right now) to show to the Verizon employee back home. Having her activate my cousin's Droid on a month-to-month so I can buy a new phone on the 2 yr contract (Discount and NE2 I still have saved up from early 2009) when I get back.

I'll tell everyone how it works out, though it will have been too late by the time I know for anyone else to do the same... *crosses fingers*

I figured someone would try to use it LOL. I more or less posted it to prove a point but if it helped just please make sure you removed all of my name so they don't ask any questions LOL.

coyote_5

Reaction score

I went to Verizon last night to start service with a Palm Pixi Plus I got off Amazon. Rep told me I didn't need to go month to month and that I still will have my subsidy available to me when the Bionic or SII drops.

Side note, the Pixi Plus kinda sucks. :icon_evil:

Java

Reaction score

I went to Verizon last night to start service with a Palm Pixi Plus I got off Amazon. Rep told me I didn't need to go month to month and that I still will have my subsidy available to me when the Bionic or SII drops.

Side note, the Pixi Plus kinda sucks. :icon_evil:

Dear James xxxx,

Sincerely,

Dana
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

I figured someone would try to use it LOL. I more or less posted it to prove a point but if it helped just please make sure you removed all of my name so they don't ask any questions LOL.

I left it as is, my mother is doing the discussing so I have no worries about her getting her way. She always gets her way. Haha, oh mothers.

I'm waiting to hear back from her, but it probably won't be until late tonight (8-9 PM). Hopefully the rep will tell her what you were told Coyote, and she can just start the 2 yr contract and have me buy the subsidized phone with my NE2 when I get back stateside. I'll shoot her a quick email about it in case she checks it between now and then.