So I'm stuck on what replacement phone to get from VZW!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Snoking said:
Why do people look right pass the VZW smart phone with best camera, great radios, cheap extended battery, best to hold, and will also soon get ICS?

Red headed step child.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes, actually. I like both phones, but that's the problem. I like them both. I guess, here's what I want to know. I'm looking for things that I won't be able to see when I look at both phones in person in a store, such as signal quality, battery life, etc. Does the Galaxy Nexus still experience battery and connection problems? Is the Razr AMOLED screen really a setback due to pixelization? etc. Also, just curious on what others think when presented with this situation, and which phone they would go with.
I can only vouch for the Nexus and I have had no problems at all with it. In fact, ever since I flashed the 4.0.4 radios, what was already good, has been better.

I didn't go with the Razr because of the screen. Not sure if it was just the demo unit, but it had a green tint to it, it was the dealbreaker for me. Not a fan of Moto's UI either.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why do people look right pass the VZW smart phone with best camera, great radios, cheap extended battery, best to hold, and will also soon get ICS?

Once again the Rezound doesn't get mentioned. To the OP, look into it. Awesome screen (better than the Razr) best camera, with an extended battery it's as good as the Maxx with battery life, less bugs than the Razr or Nexus, better radio the the Nexus and as good if not better than the Razr. Overall it's still one of the best if not the best phone VZ has out.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.
Agree with both of you.

The Rezound is a top tier phone and can easily be #1, yet it's under appreciated. For me, I went with the Nexus because I knew developer support for it would be strong and arguably comparable to that of the OG Droid (not saying the Rezound development isn't good at all, from what I've seen it's great). It really did come down to those two phones for me and what really gave the Nexus the edge was developer support for me. If I had any sort of problems with my Nexus within the first 14 days, I would've exchanged it for the Rezound, but no problems at all with it. It really is a great phone that doesn't get enough credit for what it is.

OP
I

IanG

Reaction score
My girlfriend just got the Razr in White and she LOVES it. Has really great battery life, 4G LTE is fast and just over all a great phone. FWIW she came from a Thunderbolt. lol.
How is the screen? I had the Thunderbolt, but I did not like that phone one bit.
Elaborate on how your getting this phone
I have gone through three Bionics in the past week, and demanded a different series of phones.
When did u buy your first bionic?
Launch day 2011
Once again the Rezound doesn't get mentioned. To the OP, look into it. Awesome screen (better than the Razr) best camera, with an extended battery it's as good as the Maxx with battery life, less bugs than the Razr or Nexus, better radio the the Nexus and as good if not better than the Razr. Overall it's still one of the best if not the best phone VZ has out.
To both above, I don't believe Verizon would allow me to get this phone for free as a replacement, since they don't consider it comparable (1.5GHz) as they would only allow a comparable phone (1.2GHz Galaxy Nexus and 1.2GHz Razr). I do know that the Rezound is great phone as my buddy has the Rezound. To be perfectly honest, I am not the biggest fan of HTC Sense UI, but if I had the ability to get it, I would definitely consider it.
I can only vouch for the Nexus and I have had no problems at all with it. In fact, ever since I flashed the 4.0.4 radios, what was already good, has been better.

I didn't go with the Razr because of the screen. Not sure if it was just the demo unit, but it had a green tint to it, it was the dealbreaker for me. Not a fan of Moto's UI either.
I am honestly a bit worried about the Razr's screen. I have seen that it's got a bit of a tint to it. After 4.0.4, the battery life is great on your Galaxy Nexus, yes? Even on 4G? How is the signal quality? Are there any drawbacks or cons with your Galaxy Nexus? How is the camera quality? I've heard it's sub-par.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am honestly a bit worried about the Razr's screen. I have seen that it's got a bit of a tint to it. After 4.0.4, the battery life is great on your Galaxy Nexus, yes? Even on 4G? How is the signal quality? Are there any drawbacks or cons with your Galaxy Nexus? How is the camera quality? I've heard it's sub-par.
I've been rooted and ROM'd since day 3 after launch. I flashed 4.0.4 along with the radios about 2 months ago and it feels like a new phone (everything is more smooth and fluid, faster response, etc). Signal quality I'm either at full bars or 3, but it depends on your area of course. A bunch of my other friends have 4g devices and left theirs stock, their battery life isn't any better, if anything worse. I can definitely make this battery last all day on 4g.

The only drawbacks/cons I can think of that people point out are the camera, signal, and battery life. Signal and battery life can be fixed with ROMs/kernels/radios. Camera, well it is what it is. It's definitely not the best, but it far exceeds my necessity for one, best part is the no shutter lag. Outside in daylight the camera takes very good pictures, indoors is where it really struggles and you can tell. If you don't use your camera much like I do, then it won't even be a con and it'll be a positive once you do use it. Sub-par? No, unless you compare it to the Rezound which is amazing indoors and outdoors, I can't vouch for the Razr.

diablo81588

Reaction score
To both above, I don't believe Verizon would allow me to get this phone for free as a replacement, since they don't consider it comparable (1.5GHz) as they would only allow a comparable phone (1.2GHz Galaxy Nexus and 1.2GHz Razr). I do know that the Rezound is great phone as my buddy has the Rezound. To be perfectly honest, I am not the biggest fan of HTC Sense UI, but if I had the ability to get it, I would definitely consider it.

The rezound is slower than both the RAZR and nexus. Clock speed doesn't change the fact that its an old processor.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
Since it looks like you have ruled out the Rezound (which I got as a replacement for the 3 crappy Gnex's), I would go with the Razr.
I have the Razr Maxx and really like it, no issues with it what so ever.

Good luck.

vance1980

Reaction score
The nexus has a horrible feel to it being all plastic. The speaker on it after just a day I noticed sounded horrible even watching youtube my wife was telling me to turn it down because it annoyed her from the high pitch crappy speaker it had. And the battery life is great if you want to carry around your charger with you everywhere you go. Even when I got the
extended battery i felt that it didn't work all the well and I had a buick in my pocket. DancingNexus