1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

So I want to learn to develop for Android...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by fichdak, Jun 26, 2010.

1. fichdak

fichdak New Member

This is me: college kid, no developing experience whatsoever (unless you could a basic HTML course in like 9th grade... lol), relatively intelligent, interested in technology.

What do I need to learn?

I found a "java 101" article to read here: Learn Java from the ground up - JavaWorld

Is android just Java or is there any other kind of language..? I've heard something about C++? or is that part of Java?

As you can tell, I'm a noob lol.

Then I read that I need Eclipse (what does that do again?), which one should I get (I'm on a Mac): Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers, Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, or Eclipse Classic 3.6?

Is this a bad idea considering I know nothing? Like am in way over my head?

Any other ideas or links anyone can share?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Johnly

Johnly Guest

What you are about to do could last a lifetime! Congratulations! I have found dev forums like XDA to be rich with info....good luck, and make us an killer app huh?
  3. stonedoubt

stonedoubt New Member

I recommend buying a subscription to CommonsWare because it's basically 4 books in PDF format that start from the basics and go all the way to advanced. A single book costs as much as that subscription. Java is not C++.
  4. woodyman

woodyman New Member Developer

it takes time, and its tricky at first, but it gets easier as you learn more.. :) good luck.!!

but, what kind of Development do you want to get into.? building ROMs, apps, Themes?
  5. neubanks89

neubanks89 New Member

Android does use java for its api but theres A LOT more to developing an android app than knowing how to write in java. You need to be VERY familiar with the syntax and rules oj Java before starting an Android app. I'd recommend using Eclipse, download a basic learn java pdf from somewhere and go through it completely even all the basic stuff (focus on the Object Oriented nature of Java as thats whats extremely important about android). Next thing, once you're comfortable using java, learn the activity lifecycle of an android app, that will save you a lot of time trying to fix a problem with your app.

Some Tips:
    * Use xml for layouts, this will save you a lot of time when it comes to making an app upgradable.
    * Develop for the lowest SDK your app will support
    * NEVER let a service run when it doesn't have too, thats my biggest problem with a lot of really good apps on the market (slacker, tunewiki, news and weather refresh service etc.)
    * Don't forget permissions in the manifest

I've done a lot of app development for android over the past 6 months with Android Infinity (androidinfinity.com) so if you have any specific questions ask away.
  6. woodyman

woodyman New Member Developer

lol, johnly its nice to see that people use my ROMs.. :)
  7. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

I was checking out this thread and I would also like to develop some apps for android, and use my test subjects as guinea pigs. I only have experience with python but I was seeing that Java and C++ are pretty much the 2 languages to know in order to build a successful app. I have a lot of inspiration for apps that I haven't seen but could be in development. My biggest question is syncing the android software or phone with the radio in your car to stream music through your car speakers. Does this require additional hardware or is there a way to build an app around the idea of fooling the hardware the transmitter exist? I've got a lot of crazy ideas like this but this would really let me know there is hope for my craziness to be given to the android users. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you.
  8. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

I am also learning the Linux command line, and very familiar with windows. Is there a better OS for learning the programming/development side of android?
  9. bothee

bothee New Member

I'm actually in the same boat. Basically no programming experience, just out of college, and really interested in learning programming/specifically working with android.

My current course of action is following along with the Stanford Engineering Everywhere website, which offers several of their comp-sci class notes and lectures for free:

Stanford School of Engineering - Stanford Engineering Everywhere

There are a lot of online vids and lectures for learning programming, but this was the first one I found that actually used Java as the main language of the class to teach the intro programming concepts.

The first class is CS106A: Intro to Programming Methodology, and it has been pretty awesome so far. Since it's an intro to programming class that teaches java instead of many of the other languages used, it seemed like the best place to start.
  10. him

him New Member

+1 here trying to learn as well. Computer science degree C, C++, Assembly. No java though. there is a guy on youtube he has over 100 vids all under 7 minutes going step by step on java programming starting out with how to get set up to develop and then on to writing code, and explaining syntax. It reminds me a bit of C++, but with any programming language syntax is going to be your friend and enemy. Good luck.
  11. fichdak

fichdak New Member

questions for an experienced programmer: how long would it take (approximately) to go from total noob to java master who's able to start the android-learning process?
  12. J5.

J5. New Member

Link?.....
  13. fichdak

fichdak New Member

yeah, link please? dancedroid
  14. him

him New Member

Start with 1 and work your way up to whatever number he is on now.
  15. razorseal

razorseal New Member

that's good stuff! what makes me sad (well rather, just unfortunate) is that he has tutorials for the iphone, but no android :( he's real good, if he had some android tutorials, it would have been AWESOME :(
  16. Raven1r44

Raven1r44 New Member

hey guys! so from what I have gathered from this thread so far, is that if I want to get into app Development, I am going to need to get a good base understand of java and C++? my main interest (currently) is to develop some kind of app that will allow for easier interaction with another forum site I am on www.rotorspace.com via my DROID, or does anyone know of a way to get tapatalk to add new forums? im good with the whole rooting, overclocking and theme-ing of the phones, but want to cuztomize it yet further still!!!
  17. Johnly

Johnly Guest

LOL, your ROM's are A Class! I am a picky one too:)
  18. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Total noob no programing:

1 year, 10 hours a week.

Total noob to java, but other language experience:

30 weeks 10 hours a week.

Pretty much a part time job for 6 months.
  19. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Why C++????????
Search tags for this page
how long did it take to learn android
how long does it take to learn android coding
how long does it take to learn android development
how long does it take to learn android programming
how long does it take to learn to develop android apps
how long it takes to learn android development
how long to learn android
how long to learn android app