1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

So I think I semi-bricked my phone

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by fry-lock, Aug 25, 2010.

1. fry-lock

fry-lock New Member

I have a rooted Droid, and my power button stopped working all the sudden, no water damage, no dropping it. I went to bed with it working, and woke up to it broken. So I unrooted it using these directions. Everything worked perfectly.

Well, I'm unrooted, but found a better way to revert to stock using a virgin sbf file, which would pretty much guarente there would be no trace of rooting. So I tried accessing the bootloader (holding the dpad up while powering on) to flash the stock sbf file, and I couldn't get into it. It's just a black screen, and it will stay that way for as long as you hold down the button. As soon as I let go of the buttons, it boots normally. I think something went wrong when I flashed the boot.img, because I can boot into the bootloader just fine when I use my wifes stock droid. The phone still works perfectly, I'm unrooted, can make calls, download apps, surf the web, ect but I can't get into the bootloader. Is there anything that can be done at this point? I'm unrooted, and RSD lite is the only thing that will get me rooted again, but i cant use it because the bootloader is fubared.

And if I am screwed, and there is nothing I can do, would verizon be able to tell if it was rooted? I am under the impression that RSD is the tool they use, and if the bootloader is fubar, there's no real way for them to get in either, right?

PS to those who think it's wrong to unroot and do a warranty exchange instead of insurance. Rooting didn't break my power button, which is why my phone is being replaced.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

From what Ive read they wont be able to tell, unless you have rooting stuff on your sdcard lol

what version of android are you on? froyo (and i believe eclair) can be rooted with easy root which doesnt require you to use an SBF, it actually doesnt require a pc at all!
  3. fry-lock

fry-lock New Member

I upgraded to 2.2 before I realized the bootmanager was fubar. As far as I can tell, it's completely stock rom, because I basically ripped them out of the rooted 2.01 rom as per the instructions. Ya I figure they won't be able to tell, I do have root stuff on the SD card, but I'm not sending that back, I'm just going to swap the SD cards, do a factory reset, and send this one back.

I had problems with my original phone (browser would lock the phone up, and you had to do a battery pull to reboot it), and took it back to the store where I bought it, and the sales guy told me rooting it would fix my problem :icon_eek: and wouldn't exhange it. If they give me slack, I'll just blame it on the sales guy. I had to go to the regional manager to get my phone exchanged, and even then, I think it was a used phone because it wasn't wrapped in that sticky protective plastic. After that experience, I'm pretty much done buying from brick and mortar stores.

It was actually kind of funny, the regional manager **** a brick when I told him the guy told me to go home and root my phone instead of exchanging it :laugh:
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
Search tags for this page

if my phone bricked can i still get a new one