So I sent my phone in for a screen replacement...

tacticalfats

Reaction score
GORILLA GLASS...KEVLAR...!

Whatever. My phone was in an Otterbox Commuter (the largest Commuter for any phone I've owned, and I've had them for alot: several Blackberrys, Droid X, GNex, etc.). NEVER BROKEN A PHONE. NEVER.

I took it out of my pocket and it fell onto a tile floor. Literally dropped from pocket height, and the screen was black with spidering down one side, barely visible. VZW screws me on the insurance (another story), so I read on here that it's about $100 for a screen replacement. Cool; I mail it, insured, and check the RMA to see that it was received on Saturday, May 4th. And that's where it stands.

There's "5-day turnaround after it arrives" plastered on the motorola website, so I call Wednesday, 5/8. "Peter" tells me it's only been 3 BUSINESS days, and to call back Friday. Ok; whatever. I wait, and call back the following Tuesday, May 14th. There's been no update on the "track your repair page". A pointless 35 minute call to Bhopal or wherever results in "Christopher" updating my ticket or some such fluff. Ok. I'm told I'll get a call back within "24 business hours"...ok...

Friday, May 17th at 3:24, I get a call back from "Christopher" who tells me "there's no additional information" and someone will be in touch. Ok. Now I'm annoyed; I'm clearly getting the blow off.

Today (Monday, May 20th) I call and after a 46 MINUTE call, I get told that they're "waiting on parts" and will be getting a $50 Google Play gift card for the delay. Great. I tell them I just want my phone; I'm going to smash this iPhone with it's 3G, no hotspotting, tiny screen, etc. The snippy guy (who I was on hold for the better part of the 46 minutes waiting to talk to) tells me he "has no further information" when the phone will be fixed, and to call back "in 24 to 48 hours". I tell him I'll be calling tomorrow. He says to wait "24 to 48 hours". I said "yup...ok...talk to you tomorrow, CHARLES", or whatever nom de guerre he was going by.

Horrific service; I just want MY phone back. I don't want a replacement (my phone is set up the way I want it). Ugh...be forewarned if you decide to send your phone (which should NOT have broken) in to this company.

Oh, and somewhere, when entering my CC info, there was the price of $159 for the repair. We'll see.

Last edited:

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Wow... That sounds like worst case scenario at every stretch for you. Feel bad for you buddy.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is no bueno. Sorry about that! I just had something like that with an actual medical insurance company... Now I owe $3200! Yay!

OP
T

tacticalfats

Reaction score
Called today around 3; was on hold for a total of about 40 minutes. Now they "will try" to waive the repair fee or I could send them the receipt and they'd refund whatever I paid for it That's a no-go, since I used my kid's 'upgrade' (his first phone, and he wanted an iphone so he's using my wife's old iPhone 4) and I'd be stuck with no decent phone.

My goal is to harass them until either the phone is fixed or they start paying me, lol.

OP
T

tacticalfats

Reaction score
Because my current job assignment has a ton of downtime, sitting in an office with a particularly aggressive web filter, I checked the status of my RMA. Low and behold, it showed "Resolution: Exchanged".

So, I call again. After another long wait, I'm told the phone is being exchanged for whatever reason, free of charge. While not what I wanted (my rooted, set-up phone fixed), I'm just as happy with getting a working device for free.

Motorola has done me right. Hopefully, I'll get it tomorrow so I can root it, and set it all up so I can use it as a hotspot this weekend at my shore place.

RandyD123

Reaction score
You can just end the story there!!!! What happened?? Did you get a new phone, a refurbished phone...Did you get a phone at all???

MrAmazin151420

Reaction score
Pretty much the same horrendous experience I had in June! My glass screen shattered after falling flat on its face onto a wooden floor from about pocket height as well. I only had a thin, aftermarket silicone case on it since I've been really good with my Moto phones over the last 15 years. This incident set me back about $175 after taxes. At first, their excuse was they were "upgrading" their systems, then it was their "parts were on backorder." They sent me a $50 Google Play gift card for the delay and then a refurb a few days later. I learned my lesson..ordered the OtterBox Defender while I was waiting. Whether they've resolved their issues in the repair dept. by now or not, I'm not going through that again! :disappointed: