so i rooted the display phone at verizon..

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If it weren't for the rep at our store showing me his "personal" Droid, which was "customized", we wouldn't have bought the second one. He doubled sales, and we now have 2 data plans and that $10.00 crap on our sons line and a fourth line for grandma. That's all corporate cares about, wouldn't doubt they are behind the entire root, does nothing but good for them with no legal responsibility. I'm calling shenanigans!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Who is shenanigans?

Is he gonna get us in trouble?

;)

VZW RSR

Reaction score
Sheesh! This is the kind of thing that will back fire and ruin it for everyone.

As soon as the executive offices get wind there will be reactions that will chain react right back at us.
Face it, if you were Verizon you would react. Anytime you effect sales you are going to get attention. The big wigs hear about this and start worrying about how the would be clients react and we loose more control over what we can do in the future vs. what we can do now.

I see them:

• Making it impossible to root future phones.

• Perhaps issuing an OTA update that if allowed will render any non-rooted phones incapable of being rooted.
  • Having to sign a waiver to look at demo phones.
  • Demo phones features disabled so a jerk like yourselves cannot do this.
  • Creating a way to tell if your phone is rooted and lay in wait for you to get warranty work or replacement.
  • Report you to your phone insurance carrier if you have it.
You are merely a vandal in my way of thinking. If I owned Verizon or was the manager of the store I would want to make you pay.

I hope you own your own business one day.
You are 100% on target here. I'm amazed at how many posted here thinking this was such a cool idea. These kinds of juvenile pranks end up costing us all in the end, one way or another.

johall07

Reaction score

As soon as the executive offices get wind there will be reactions that will chain react right back at us.
Face it, if you were Verizon you would react. Anytime you effect sales you are going to get attention. The big wigs hear about this and start worrying about how the would be clients react and we loose more control over what we can do in the future vs. what we can do now.

I see them:

• Perhaps issuing an OTA update that if allowed will render any non-rooted phones incapable of being rooted.
  • Creating a way to tell if your phone is rooted and lay in wait for you to get warranty work or replacement.
You are merely a vandal in my way of thinking. If I owned Verizon or was the manager of the store I would want to make you pay.

You are 100% on target here. I'm amazed at how many posted here thinking this was such a cool idea. These kinds of juvenile pranks end up costing us all in the end, one way or another.

lol i doubt verizon would spend more then 30 seconds on this.....unpacking a brand new device and replacing the rooted one...they have bigger things to worry about then someone messing with in store models

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Once they get the update pushed out, they can focus on this issue at hand ;)

bdbraaten

Reaction score
If it weren't for the rep at our store showing me his "personal" Droid, which was "customized", we wouldn't have bought the second one. He doubled sales, and we now have 2 data plans and that $10.00 crap on our sons line and a fourth line for grandma. That's all corporate cares about, wouldn't doubt they are behind the entire root, does nothing but good for them with no legal responsibility. I'm calling shenanigans!

Last week I would have called your post b.s. then last Friday I was at Verizon looking to buy a Droid for my wife. When I couldn't get them to let me keep the data blocker on her line I asked is tethering was supported officially yet, the rep I was dealing with actually pulled out his phone and started to tell me about pdanet from the market. He even countered with, "nobody has been caught" when I said iwas asking if it was officially supported not just possible by cheating the system.

Didn't think.they were allowed to talk about that stuff.

gruve

Reaction score
You both worry more than my wife!

I see them:

svttech76

Reaction score

I see them:

Yeah I am sure Verizon is going to have a board meeting over a few rooted store displays any minute now

JimmyD

Reaction score
Coming from a tech at a vzw store... I don't think its that funn y because I know the pain of clearing droids 3 times a day at my store and uninstalling 3000 apps a day... however, its not my store, so I don't care =p I would probably laugh, but people in my area are probably too dumb to do it!

I'm curious, isn't there an easy way for VZW techs to simply revert a Droid back to stock OEM specs without having to uninstall the apps individually?

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I see them:

So let's recap. Making phones not rootable. That was the milestone. Oh wait they rooted that.

They will block with OTA. That was a patch in the new 2.1 update. That new build with the patch is build ese35. Wait that is the same build I have on my rooted phone that I am typing this response on my HTC keyboard on my Droid. So that is rooted even after the patch.

Use non working demos. They do. At all retailers and sub stores to the parent stores.

Able to tell your phone is rooted. Wait they can. They can run the phone through program to tell or oh yeah they can look in your phone settings. But I promise the lasers that shoot out and the electric shocker were stock options. :)

As for the rest. I do run my own business. I fix computers and cell phones. Ironic.... sure So I appreciate your opinion on me being a vandal. To each his own.

Reaction score
hmmm, wish it was in my area. id like to check out a rooted phone before i root.. maybe ill practice rooting a few times in a vzw store first.. lol

daevans315

Reaction score
I have found that the police and judges never think things are as funny as I do. But that's not to say I don't keep trying to find something that they do have a sense of humor on.. this might be one to try.

coondogg97

Reaction score

I see them:

Do you honestly think when this software was written the developer left it open to hack?
If it was something that would benefit Verizon they would do it regardless of a few rooted phones at store level.

One of the great benefits of having demo phones on display is that a customer can handle them while they are waiting for a Verizon rep. This creates sales, I doubt they would take that option away. It would be a horrible business decision.

Disabling selling points of the phone is just as bad as removing all the demo phones. Ain't gonna happen.

Not sure what that even means?

That wouldn't matter until your phone broke and you needed a replacement. If that was the case im sure there would be just as many rooted phones as there are now.

If you were truly this high and mighty you would understand that even rooting your phone makes you "merely a vandal" in Verizons eyes.

Well that's the first kind thing you have said :)

Might be about time for a :r_c:

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I see them:

Do you honestly think when this software was written the developer left it open to hack?
If it was something that would benefit Verizon they would do it regardless of a few rooted phones at store level.

One of the great benefits of having demo phones on display is that a customer can handle them while they are waiting for a Verizon rep. This creates sales, I doubt they would take that option away. It would be a horrible business decision.

Disabling selling points of the phone is just as bad as removing all the demo phones. Ain't gonna happen.

Not sure what that even means?

That wouldn't matter until your phone broke and you needed a replacement. If that was the case im sure there would be just as many rooted phones as there are now.

If you were truly this high and mighty you would understand that even rooting your phone makes you "merely a vandal" in Verizons eyes.

Well that's the first kind thing you have said :)

Might be about time for a :r_c:
ROTFLMAO.. enough said.. :) Thanks