So "I" ROOTED.....now what?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hrhaven, Nov 8, 2010.

1. hrhaven

hrhaven New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I rooted my Moto Droid 1. It was simple, no problems with it whatsoever. I used SPRecovery, installed (or flashed if that's the correct verbiage) the update.zip file, ran it and done. I've created a nandroid backup.

I'm using FRG22D, I haven't installed any theme's or ROM's, but I'd like to.

My question? Well I've read the post "So you've rooted, now what..", and I'm not looking to overclock. I want to install a Rom, or theme, or both.

I'm interested in the Ultimate Droid Rom, but when I've read through....it mentions you must clear cache and wipe the data. Wipe the Data? Is this suggesting that I basically remove everything from the phone? If I do this what will I be losing? Will I have to do this for EVERY ROM?

Also to install a theme, do I have to first install a rom? For example, 928 black glass, does that require a ROM be installed?

Any help here would be appreciated.

2. Turbo_lag

Turbo_lag New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good info, I am new, and was about to ask this exact same question. I am in IT, so I understand most of this stuff, what I don't understand is the specific Motorola terms.

Is MotoBlur or Blur = The Droid X Operating system?
    So a Rom would replace the Blur OS, or would it just lay overtop of the OS. Like installing a theme on Windows 7?

I have also rooted, and have the same interests (except overclocking) as the OP.

Also, is Froyo 2.2 what I already have installed from the factory. I have Model Droid X, Version 2.3.15 version 2.2. Does Froyo = factory software?
    Also, OP, to answer your question, most ROM's that I have seen ask you to boot in Safe mode and format everything. Format pretty much means to erase, and start from scratch, so you will lose everything on the phone from my understanding, unless formatting a phone is different from a computer.

#2 Turbo_lag, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. antron007

antron007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First thing is get rom manager ( I think its still in the market), flash clockwork recovery and make a back up. It makes a nandroid backup. I mention this because I and alot of others had to ask "where are my backups " or "how do I restore"? they are not. Zip files. I also recommend using good names for your backups to keep track of them.

Then start trying roms.

Side note if you get in a boot loop you can pull out your battery and reboot. If it keeps boot looping open the keyboard and hold x when you reboot to enter recovery mode. Then select nandroid. Then restore. That's where your backups are by default. Just select the backup you want and try a different rom or ask questions here.

The people here are great and always helpful. And I hope this helps as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    wiping data and cache is a must when installing roms, and switching to a different rom. it is basically a factory reset, and erases all of your settings and data from your phone (such as text msgs, call logs, playlists, contacts, etc). however, things that are on your sdcard (such as pics and music) will not be erased.

when you wipe data and cache, and install a rom, on your initial boot you will have to re-sign into your phone/google account. your phone will then sync with your google account. so, before wiping, it is recommended that you sync all your contacts with your gmail account. that way, when you sign in, google will automatically sync all your contacts, and you won't lose them.

also, it is recommended that you backup your apps (with Titanium Backup or MyBackUp Pro or something similar). when you sign in after initial boot, google will recognize the apps that are previously associated with your account, and will automatically re-download all of your apps. however, the mkt is sometimes flakey, and may miss some apps. that's why it's recommended you have them backed up on your phone.

finally, as to roms/themes, yes you need a rom before installing a theme. roms are a custom OS for your phone, and themes just change the look of your phone. and, you can generally only install a theme that has been specifically ported to the rom you choose. in other words, themes do not work on all roms. themers generally list which roms they are compatible with.

5. Turbo_lag

Turbo_lag New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I don't have a physical keyboard, I have a droid X. Thanks for the other information tho!! I can't wait to brick this thing, stop around my house screaming how I shouldn't have done this, buy a new 1, brick that 1, and finally end up with a LG Chocolate.

6. hrhaven

hrhaven New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Huskerkate,

Ugh....Okay, well that's good information to know. Maybe installing a ROM isn't for me. So my thoughts are that I'd have to install my e-mail app again and then go through all the settings to get the pop e-mail working again. Same for Handsent messaging. My phone shortcuts, ring settings...the whole nine right? So there really isn't any easy way to do this without completely "rebuilding" (in a sense) my phone. I just want to make sure I'm correct on this.

7. antron007

antron007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    (1) I was concerned of this too. But I have the droid1 so I can't speak for the x. But a nandroid is a carbon copy of your phone so it will be EXACTLY how it was when you made the backup so if something goes wrong you can Just "go back in time" to the way your phone was when you backed it up.
    Also it doesn't touch your sdcard just the phone itself.

Its not recommended but I usually don't wipe when I flash a rom. Sometimes it doesn't work so ill have to wipe the data and cache but I usually just restore and move onto a different rom.

(2) typically you flash the rom then the theme. You DO NOT wipe when flashing a theme.

If you wipe you will probably have to reactivate your phone and add your Google account(s) again.

Some themes are also pre-themed roms. That sort of means that you flash the theme and rom together. So you may have to wipe for that but you only have to flash once instead of twice.

One thing in not sure of is if its best to wait for all of your apps to download then flash the theme. Or flash the theme right away before the apps download. I usually don't wipe.

Edit: and What husker said. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. Turbo_lag

Turbo_lag New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So what is flash clockwork recovery and is it available for droid 2.2? It says specifically 2.1

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

9. huskerkate

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    yep, pretty much. but, once you flash a few roms, you get pretty proficient at it. i flash different roms sometimes 4 times a week. it's not so bad...

another thing to try is a procedure used by GirLuvsDroid. she swears by it, and she is extremely adept and knowledgeable in these matters. i've never tried it, but she uses this procedure every flash, and it supposedly saves the settings and info. here is her process:

1. Make sure you've installed the backuptool.zip (found here: www.peteralfonso.com), then go into terminal emulator and type

su
    backup

to run it. That will save your System Settings, Browser Bookmarks, Call Logs, SMS/MMS, User Dictionary, and Market Downloads List (but not apps).

2. Get Titanium Backup if you don't already have it (purchase the license, it's worth it) and go to Batch and use "Backup all user apps + system data."

3. Make sure you don't have any backup directories from other ROM app backups on your SD card (this does not include nandroid backups or those from Titanium Backup, My Backup Pro, and similar applications -- but some have reported that Astro backups cause issues, so you may need to delete those).

4. Do a nandroid backup of your current setup, then, using ClockworkMod Recovery, do a factory reset (wipe data and cache), then go into the partitions menu and do a wipe of boot, then of system.

5. Install the ROM zip file and wait until it reboots again after the first bootup (this could take a while -- be patient).

6. Sign in to Google and immediately open the Market, search for Titanium Backup (I call it TiBu) and restore it.

7. Make sure you have "Unknown sources" checked in System>Applications.

8. Open TiBu and go into Preferences and make sure you have "Force to same location" checked (this will then make sure your apps and data are restored to the device and SD card, as applicable, exactly as they were when you did your backup).

9. Go into Batch and and start with "Restore missing apps + all system data" -- but here's the important thing: press "Deselect all" and ONLY check the items in
    GREEN (this will restore all your call log, SMS/MMS, wifi and bluetooth connections, etc.). If you restore the stuff in red, you're restoring system data from prior ROMs, which could cause you all kinds of issues. We'll do apps and data in the next step.

10. After you've finished restoring the items in green, run "Restore missing apps with data" and go through the list and make sure you've got only the items you really want to restore checked.

11. After you've finished with that restore, reboot into recovery and wipe the cache partition, which in my experience helps jumpstart the market sync.

Now, there may be some apps that restored from the Market that don't have your data. If you run across one of those, just go into TiBu and go to filters, type the name of the app, and restore data only.

The only thing left is that you'll likely have to set up your widgets again

10. huskerkate

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    MotoBlur is not the same as the OS - it's just preinstalled widgets and functions that come with the OS. some people like them, many others don't. if you look thru the roms for the DX, some keep the Blur, some keep only certain ones, and some eliminate them altogether. you just have to decide what you want on your phone, and pick the rom accordingly.

Froyo is the nickname for the Android 2.2 OS. under menu<settings<about phone, if your "Android Version" is 2.2, then you are running Froyo. if you have the DX, then you're running it.

11. Turbo_lag

Turbo_lag New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What does MotoBlur bring to the table? Pro's vs Con's of it? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere, but I searched, and got A TON OF RESULTS.

Also, I just made a backup. I booted in recovery mode, made a backup, it said it was sucessful, and now I have booted back up. Should I move the back up off the droid, or keep it on there?

12. huskerkate

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    ClockwordMod is just another recovery image - an alternate to SPRecovery. it works essentially the same as SPR. altho, some people swear by SPR, and won't use CWM. personally, i've never had an issue with CWM, and use it most of the time because you don't have to rename a rom, theme, or whatever to "update.zip" in order to install it. you can just install it with whatever name it has been saved on your sdcard.

once you've rooted, you can install the Rom Manager app, and use it to flash the CWM. you can also use RM to flash back and forth between SPR and CWM.