So I returned my Nexus...long Story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

twright86

Reaction score
You can have separate sections and threads all day long but people will still make new threads about new issues which will always segue into past issues. As you can see by this thread. We could spend all day just closing, merging and redirecting issue posts. Hopefully when (and if) updates are released and issues are fixed we will all end up in our happy place. But I will be the first to admit with the money I spent I am not a happy camper. I have a Bionic and everyone knows the horror stories there. Mine has been issue free. So I am on the other side of the fence. In my happy place.
Like I said, I was making a suggestion. It may not have been done in the best way, the "Cool story, bro" thread comment wasn't right, but I have seen where one thread with bugs and glitches has worked out well, keeps the board from getting cluttered with the same thing, and you already have a help forum...which is pretty amazing and helpful. Just a little house keeping can go a long way.

Not my forum though, and I'm not an admin or mod here, so you guys (and girls?) know whats best.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Agreed. Mods should be moving these threads to the Nexus Help forum, I mean that is the reason we have those sections so people can have their problems addressed is it not?
Some of the threads in the 'general discussion' forum do usually require the OP needing help. This is the most active part of the forum after all so if people want help they could find it quickly here.

As for this thread, it's not so much the OP needed help, but was expressing his disappointment in the phone, which pretty much is a general topic. And as for the OPs point of paying $300 for a phone that should work, this is new software and there are expected growing pains. Whoever got the Nexus is a guinea pig and that should be expected and you should know what you're getting into. The problem is that Verizon employees don't put an emphasis on the point that it is a brand new OS and there are going to be some bugs. It may have just been his phone as well though with signal problems. (I drove through Barstow and that area last week and had no problems with a 3g signal or making calls). And the thread did get a little offtopic from the OP:)

captdroid

Reaction score
You can have separate sections and threads all day long but people will still make new threads about new issues which will always segue into past issues. As you can see by this thread. We could spend all day just closing, merging and redirecting issue posts. Hopefully when (and if) updates are released and issues are fixed we will all end up in our happy place. But I will be the first to admit with the money I spent I am not a happy camper. I have a Bionic and everyone knows the horror stories there. Mine has been issue free. So I am on the other side of the fence. In my happy place.

I see your location is listed as Delaware. I was visiting in Dover Delaware recently and I had no problems with 4g. Are you in this area? Just wondering because it seems odd your having so many problems.

twright86

Reaction score
Some of the threads in the 'general discussion' forum do usually require the OP needing help. This is the most active part of the forum after all so if people want help they could find it quickly here.

As for this thread, it's not so much the OP needed help, but was expressing his disappointment in the phone, which pretty much is a general topic. And as for the OPs point of paying $300 for a phone that should work, this is new software and there are expected growing pains. Whoever got the Nexus is a guinea pig and that should be expected and you should know what you're getting into. The problem is that Verizon employees don't put an emphasis on the point that it is a brand new OS and there are going to be some bugs. It may have just been his phone as well though with signal problems. (I drove through Barstow and that area last week and had no problems with a 3g signal or making calls). And the thread did get a little offtopic from the OP:)
Well since returning Nexus phones is so popular right now, why not ONE thread on it where everyone can tell their story of how they returned it because their data connection was bad, and what phone they replaced it with? Could be wildly popular and helpful.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Like I said, I was making a suggestion. It may not have been done in the best way, the "Cool story, bro" thread comment wasn't right, but I have seen where one thread with bugs and glitches has worked out well, keeps the board from getting cluttered with the same thing, and you already have a help forum...which is pretty amazing and helpful. Just a little house keeping can go a long way.

Not my forum though, and I'm not an admin or mod here, so you guys (and girls?) know whats best.
Mods and Admins do a good job to keep the forum as clutter free as possible. This site gets some pretty heavy traffic and they all got lives outside of the forum, can't be monitoring it 24/7:p. For a forum this size, and I frequent alot of forums, this is the best kept when it comes to "clutter cleaning". Mods/Admins got it handled, I wouldn't worry and just leave it to them

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well since returning Nexus phones is so popular right now, why not ONE thread on it where everyone can tell their story of how they returned it because their data connection was bad, and what phone they replaced it with? Could be wildly popular and helpful.
Could happen and keep from the multiple "I returned my Nexus" threads, but alot of people tend to ignore those types of threads. They end up being so large that many don't want to scroll back 50+ pages. Threads like those move at a fast rate and not everyone has time to stay on their computer and read every page (not assuming you do). Sometimes posts of their stories get lost in those giant threads and they just want to be heard. Who knows?

I do agree that returning the Nexus has become a popular topic as of late. Makes me question if these people really knew what they were getting into or just wanted to latest device. Whatever their reasons it's not my concern, all I know is that I am more than happy with my Nexus. That thread would make for some good reading though

twright86

Reaction score
Could happen and keep from the multiple "I returned my Nexus" threads, but alot of people tend to ignore those types of threads. They end up being so large that many don't want to scroll back 50+ pages. Threads like those move at a fast rate and not everyone has time to stay on their computer and read every page (not assuming you do). Sometimes posts of their stories get lost in those giant threads and they just want to be heard. Who knows?
Could put a multi question poll with reason for returning the phone and another question of what they replaced it with?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Could put a multi question poll with reason for returning the phone and another question of what they replaced it with?
Another good idea. However, I only think that poll would only add more discussion to what would be a giant thread. Not saying it's bad idea, in fact I think it's a good one, but trying to direct everyone (especially those unfamiliar with forums) into a single thread is a gigantic task. It may or may not create less of the same threads.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I see your location is listed as Delaware. I was visiting in Dover Delaware recently and I had no problems with 4g. Are you in this area? Just wondering because it seems odd your having so many problems.

I am about 10 miles northwest of Dover. I lose 4G (when I can get it) a few miles north of Dover. But the thing is sometimes I can't pull a 4G signal at all and other times it is super strong. And the extremely weird thing is when in CDMA only in Dover I sometimes can't get a 3G signal.

captdroid

Reaction score
I am about 10 miles northwest of Dover. I lose 4G (when I can get it) a few miles north of Dover. But the thing is sometimes I can't pull a 4G signal at all and other times it is super strong. And the extremely weird thing is when in CDMA only in Dover I sometimes can't get a 3G signal.

Are you running the leaked radios? I noticed the leaked radios hold a signal stronger. As far as CDMA only I didn't try that when we were in Dover. Honestly I was right in Dover and at least there the 4g signal was solid the entire time... correction... Actually come to think of it when inside the house there was a certain room that I only got 3g which worked fine. So yea I did experience the 4g going away and then having only 3g while in Dover.

And in other areas I have 4g inside buildings in PA and besides Dover I haven't noticed it loosing the 4g like it did in Dover (but only when in that one room inside the house in Dover)... go figure.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Makes me question if these people really knew what they were getting into or just wanted to latest device. Whatever their reasons it's not my concern, all I know is that I am more than happy with my Nexus.

My thoughts exactly.

OP
mekanism

mekanism

Reaction score
I didnt realize so many people would post on my experience. Here's the deal guys/gals, I'm not trying to completely bash this phone and say its a total POS. For me it wasnt worth the money and my 2 year contract for a device I didnt feel did a whole lot more than my X. At the point I'm at now with my gadgets I felt it was purely a luxury to have the nexus and not a necessity. At no point did I state I was replacing it with a RAZR or Iphone or anything else. I figure I will hold off a few more months and see what comes out. As for people not having the same issues I had that may be that you havent taken your shiny new Nexus on a road trip. Obviously if you stay in a good coverage area you will have a much better experience! The reason I didnt get a replacement is I didnt want to burn my only chance of getting a totally different device if indeed the next Nexus was having the same issues. I was told by the VZ rep that I can only do one exchange and I didnt want to take my chances.

It seems a few people think I didnt know what I was buying and that simply isnt true. I was pining over this device for several months and even watched the Hong Kong ICS demo from start to finish so I was very excited to give ICS a test drive! I studied the specs on this thing so much I knew more than the VZ reps. Did I expect a completely flawless device, no....that is impossible! Did I expect it to blow my old Droid X out of the water in every aspect...yes! Did it deliver? Mostly, except for the signal. I can understand a 4g device not getting 4g all of time due to availability in certain areas, but it should at least keep up with every other 3g device out there, especially an old Droid X! I highly doubt this is an isolated incident and am willing to bet this is a hardware issue. I hope I am wrong and the Goog will fix it soon, but for me I wont take the risk. The Nexus isnt the end all be all device, there will be better things coming out in a short while!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not calling you out at all mekanism. I am one of the few who took this phone on a roadtrip and even went into the same area you did and had no issues. Had a strong 3g signal, kept it on cdma as I knew 4g wasn't going to be out there, and had a strong signal to make my calls. This phone passed the ultimate test for me and that was my roadtrip to Vegas, so it's a keeper:)

As for my comment on questioning people getting this phone, a bit harsh and I apologize for that, but usually that is the case. People bought this phone just to have the latest device and have no idea what they're really getting themselves into with it, especially with a brand new OS. Android 2.3 is well polished now, especially with the UIs that are out by different makers and many were expecting the same polish out of the Nexus. I was wrong to assume you fell into that category, but as common as "I've returned my Nexus" threads have become it was automatic, forgive my ignorance. Hopefully the issues do get fixed so you can get a Nexus once again if you decide to get it again.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^I got the Bionic very early on and the "no signal/bad signal" threads dominated the forum. They have had a couple of OTA's and apparently a lot of the issues have been fixed. I'm thinkin it's not a hardware problem. Also, from what I've read the GSM Nexus doesn't have any signal issues in Europe or the US.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Ive been on numerous roadtrips and Ive had plenty of signal wherever Ive gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.