So I promised some noob questions when I joined. I don't want to disappoint ..

Fightnfire

Reaction score
So,

I've been reading quite a bit over the last few days, specifically about rooting etc. There are a couple of things I couldn't find answers for ..

1) Does rooting effect any of the stuff already on my phone? Is it like a factory reset? Specifically looking at pictures and apps...

2) ROM ... yea. WTF is that? My guess = Android is an OS and ROM is just a way to make that OS look different and be, better?

3) If all I wanted, initially, to root for was Hotspot capability and overclock is it as simple as: Root, Install hot spot app, install OC app, enjoy? Everything else on the phone will look stock?

4) How easy is it to roto-root, un-root, back to stock?

I consider myself tech savvy in the PC world as I always play with BIOS and OC my PC simple enough. For some reason all the root guides I've read seem to expect a certain, slightly higher level, of knowledge than someone with no experience will have.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Hmm if this is in the wrong forum please send it where it should be, no hard feelings.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So,

I've been reading quite a bit over the last few days, specifically about rooting etc. There are a couple of things I couldn't find answers for ..

1) Does rooting effect any of the stuff already on my phone? Is it like a factory reset? Specifically looking at pictures and apps...

2) ROM ... yea. WTF is that? My guess = Android is an OS and ROM is just a way to make that OS look different and be, better?

3) If all I wanted, initially, to root for was Hotspot capability and overclock is it as simple as: Root, Install hot spot app, install OC app, enjoy? Everything else on the phone will look stock?

4) How easy is it to roto-root, un-root, back to stock?

I consider myself tech savvy in the PC world as I always play with BIOS and OC my PC simple enough. For some reason all the root guides I've read seem to expect a certain, slightly higher level, of knowledge than someone with no experience will have.

Thanks for any help!

:welcome: to the Droid forums. I'll try and help a bit.

1. Rooting alone does not make any changes, however it does give you more access to your phone and a lot more apps that you can put on your Droid. Apps like Root Explorer, Cache Mate, and Quick Boot.

2. Yes, ROM is an OS that's correct.

3. It is with the D2 but I'm not sure how easy it is with the D1 anymore. I think you can root and use the stock OS but I'm not sure.

4. Not that hard but not that easy either. Take a look in the Rescue Squad section for manuals and click on the one that talks about how to root and unroot.