So I just got the D4. Starting Advice?

kpoker

Reaction score
It is in the box delivered. I had the old motorola d1. I will probably bring the d1 to verizon to help me move over my contacts, pictures, texts or whatever they can. Do I charge the phone fully before I bring it over? Im not sure what is best at the beginning to get the most of the battery. Especially since battery is not removable.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Alot of people say fully charge it before you turn it on. I personally never followed that rule as I've always had my devices set up at the store and I'm not patient enough to wait and watch it charge. I think your battery really stabilizes after a good 2 weeks as the first couple days you'll probably be on it nonstop. Regardless you should be fine. I completely drained my nexus after it was activated then had it fully charge (while I was using it though):p

r314bd

Reaction score
Your contacts are probably already synced to your Gmail account (to confirm, log into Gmail from a computer, click the dropdown arrow by "Gmail" on the left, and click "Contacts") so when you enter your info on your D4 during device setup, your contacts should sync automatically.

If you aren't opposed to rooting your device, then these are the first things I'd recommend:

1. Root your D4
2. Freeze the bloatware
3. Install AdAway ad blocker

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
Im not really sure of the purpose for rooting a phone. Can I get rid of the bloatware and not root the phone?

r314bd

Reaction score
Im not really sure of the purpose for rooting a phone. Can I get rid of the bloatware and not root the phone?
Rooting allows you full access to your device. Without root access, you can't remove bloatware, run an ad blocker, and quite a bit more.

Don't get me wrong - your D4 will run very well even if you don't root. But in my opinion all the best things about Android require root access.

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
No way to disable some things without rooting? Downside to rooting? I just want to get the most of my battery. Not sure if the d4 battery will last longer then the d1

r314bd

Reaction score
No way to disable some things without rooting?
You cannot freeze bloatware without root access. Motorola/Verizon have unfortunately made most of the pre-installed apps uninstallable.
Downside to rooting?
While rooted, your warranty is void (rooting is reversible though.) Uninstalling apps or installing an alpha/beta version of a custom ROM could result in a bricked device.

If you follow the instructions in the links I provided above though, you won't have any problems.
I just want to get the most of my battery. Not sure if the d4 battery will last longer then the d1
You could try adding some smart actions but the best way to improve battery life would be to freeze the bloatware and install the ad blocker. Freezing bloatware apps prevents them from using system resources and the ad blocker will save both battery and data usage by preventing ads from loading.

I also upgraded from the D1 to the D4 and my battery life is excellent (my D4 is rooted with the bloatware frozen and AdAway installed.)

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
I need to root to use the ad blocker too? Im guessing there is a big difference in battery life between rooted and non-rooted?

r314bd

Reaction score
I need to root to use the ad blocker too?
Yes...ad blockers won't work without root access.
Im guessing there is a big difference in battery life between rooted and non-rooted?
If you freeze the bloatware and install an ad blocker, you will definitely experience better battery life.

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
Yeah maybe Im just worried but unless people are rooting with 100% success, not going to risk getting a brick when I just got this. Will try to do some smart actions, etc. Whatever I can excluding rooting. Seems most people are pro rooting though.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I would say root the phone when you're ready. If you're not confident with getting messy(messing with system files and getting into recovery mode if you chose to run a rom).
If not just get an extended battery but idk if its available to the droid 4.
Not saying you can't do it but if you rather not void your warranty and not know how to recover from it the extended battery might be the way to go
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Root when you're comfortable. I'm not familiar with rooting the D4, but it's pretty hard to really brick these devices.

For the record I sent a tutorial to my friend on how to root his Rezound. He skipped the prereq steps and really got himself into some trouble. With the help of some other members I was able to revive it, good as new.

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
D4 has a non-removable battery. No extended for it.

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
Okay so when went to market it downloaded automatically all my old programs (kinda cool). But also downloaded sound back, facebook app, goggles, and kickback? Dont recall every havign these before? Do I need these? If not, should I delete?

There is also a favorite contact annoying thing on the front screen. Easy way to get rid of that? Rather just put a phone icon on the front.