So I just got my Moto X

Scott0719

Reaction score
So far I like it. The active display is pretty sweet. I connected with Moto Care and connect. Not sure if i'll be using them too much so I may disable it. Then I am trying to set things up and customize it the way I want and I realize just how stock it is. Now i'm coming from the S3 which I rooted and flashed different roms. Most recently I had Cyanogenmod's 4.4 version. So coming from that to this is a bit of a shock.

For one thing I thought the Moto X had the latest android verison 4.4.2. I'm not sure of what the exact features are of that but I was just surprised it didn't have the latest version. Then I am trying to do little things like have a battery percentage instead of or in addition to the battery icon. Couldn't seem to change that without downloading an app.

Opening Google now is easy enough on here but on my S3 with CM11 it was always the screen left of the home screen. Is that a 4.4.2 feature or did Moto just do their own thing?

Is there a way to clear everything in the recent menu? it's kind of annoying having to clear each app.

I guess I just didn't realize how basic stock android is. I am considering rooting just so I can freeze certain things and backup data. But i'm not sure. I've read a little bit on how to do it and it just makes me nervous. While I had a lot of help with the S3 it was pretty simple looking back. I know I can disable a things so I guess I should start by doing that and see how it goes.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I can do anything of the things I described please let me know. Thanks! :biggrin:

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
The Moto X is on kit kat 4.4,not the newest 4.4.2 yet. You are correct in assuming most of that is cyanogen mod additions. There are plenty of apps out there to get you part of the way there, but rooting and using xposed modules like Gravity box would give you the stock X with whatever changes you'd like (battery percent, etc) As for the Google screen it's part of the Google experience launcher. Do a quick search and you can easily install it and it runs great on the Moto x

-Nexus 10-

TatDroid

Reaction score
Opening Google now is easy enough on here but on my S3 with CM11 it was always the screen left of the home screen. Is that a 4.4.2 feature or did Moto just do their own thing?
Isn't Google Now on EVERY screen on the X by default? (the search bar at the top)

Battery Solo is an excellent 1% widget. I don't think there's a way to get 1% increment readouts without downloading a widget.

OP
S

Scott0719

Reaction score
Isn't Google Now on EVERY screen on the X by default? (the search bar at the top)

Well the search bar is but i'm thinking of the cards that give you updates on various things like sports and weather.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Well the search bar is but i'm thinking of the cards that give you updates on various things like sports and weather.

If I scroll down the page (before typing anything in the search), they're there.

OP
S

Scott0719

Reaction score
Yea I see them now. I liked having them as a dedicated home screen on my S3.

I just installed the google experience launcher. I like that the google now is always on the left screen and it will only have a screen if there are icons on it. I don't like that the icons just look too big. Lol. I know a silly thing to complain about.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I see them now. I liked having them as a dedicated home screen on my S3.

I just installed the google experience launcher. I like that the google now is always on the left screen and it will only have a screen if there are icons on it. I don't like that the icons just look too big. Lol. I know a silly thing to complain about.

Not to nitpick, but a lot of what you mention is just familiarity with the way it was done on your S3. In the end, after a couple of weeks with your X, it will be like you've always had it.

OP
S

Scott0719

Reaction score
You'r not nitpicking. I know I just have to get used to it and I will. I like the phone I just need a couple other things like I stated. The last thing I said about the google experience launcher icons being bigger was me nitpicking. Somethings I expect not to work like in the CM rom but I thought having a battery percentage and clearing all the recently used apps with one button would have been standard.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
-The Google Now cards can be added to a dedicated home screen via the Google Now widgets.